Forums/Pioneer Gear/CDJ-2000

Using a wireless router as a ethernet hub to connect

JLee
posted this on August 22, 2011 12:06

Hello there,

I have 2 CDJ's 2000 and I wanted to use my laptop as my data source instead of a thumb drive or a SD card so I wanted to ask if someone could help me with connecting all 3 devices together (2 cdj's and a laptop). Can I use a Netgear wireless router as a ethernet hub? If so where do I connect each device? I use a mac computer and I tried connecting them on the lan ports of the router but rekordbox did not find the devices. If this wireless router is not the proper type of hub then what can I use?

Thank you.

Jackson

Comments

User photo
RyanTV
End User

Don't use a router. Use a standard Ethernet switch.

The problem with routers is the software layer that exists that gets in the way of your decks talking to your computer properly. It can be done, but you will get the best performance and the least amount of issues if you use a standard switch.

August 22, 2011 18:23
User photo
Effect

It will work, but it stop anything else working on the router.  The amount of "Pioneer" network traffic is quite incredible, it's like a DNS attack.  You also have to consider any security complications you use on the router, i.e. Mac filtering etc.

For how much  it will cost, go get a proper little Switch, it will make for a much more reliable setup.

August 22, 2011 19:03
User photo
JLee

Noted with thanks! Will try the suggestions you gave. @ Ryan and @ Effect.

Cheers,

August 23, 2011 17:58
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@JLee >  I use a Netgear FS108 that works great. Its not that expensive and really robust.

August 25, 2011 09:41
User photo
Fuse Promote

I have a small inexpensive switch for my gigs which I leave in my bag, but at home I am using an old wifi router which I programmed to act as a switch.  I hate disconnecting everything when going to mobile gigs, so this lets me just grab my laptop and hit the road without packing up a bunch of other gear.

So far, I've not had any problems with the router being used as a switch, but I'm not sure I would risk using it in a live setting based on what others have said here.

August 26, 2011 00:48
User photo
Richie Barthez

Does this work well? Is there any latency issues or does the data get brought across to the cdj before the track starts playing?

August 26, 2011 01:31
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Richie > Yes, its 'drag & drop', ready-to-go.

Remember to analyse first in Rekordbox. Then when you drop the track, it loads up instantly.

August 26, 2011 08:39