Pulse
posted this on February 22, 2012 21:37

Check the full press-release here.

Post your comments and questions below!

Comments

User photo
Mark90
Silver

The thing that surprises me most is that it doesn't have a curvy faceplate to match the new CDJs.  Looks nice though

February 22, 2012 21:51
User photo
markoerregger

No quantize.........but Beat Effects whats this?New cool feature from Pioneer YES!!!!!!!

February 22, 2012 22:03
User photo
Xador

Ok, but what's the difference to the 900 Nexus?

- 2 missing instant color FX

- 2 missing and 1 new beat effect (by the way, whats's echo up?!?)

- no quantize and no x-Pad

- and what's beat fx?

Is something more other than I wrote?

February 22, 2012 22:11
User photo
markoerregger

Make not tausend Mixers in the Year,support 100% Djm 2000 or Cdj 2000 ;)

February 22, 2012 22:22
User photo
Xador

@markoerregger: +1 !!!

February 22, 2012 22:42
User photo
Foster
Pioneer DJ

@Xador > The difference is the DJM-850 is the DJM-900's little brother.

It doesn't include digital inputs or the LINK feature just like it's partner the CDJ-850's. It's available in Silver and Black like the CDJ-850's, and includes the 3 Band EQ/Isolator, 4 Sound Color FX (Filter, Crush, Gate, Noise), 13 Beat Effects (new 'Up Echo'), and all new Beat Color FX!! It also includes a 24bit/96kHz Built-in Sound Card and is Traktor Scratch 2 certified! But you can get all the info from the announcement page.

This is a more affordable update to the DJM-800's long reign of terror on the DJ industry, and it's certainly beautiful! ;)

February 22, 2012 23:27
User photo
Mark90
Silver

Except the 800 had digital inputs ;)

Looking forward to more Pio news :o

February 22, 2012 23:37
User photo
Foster
Pioneer DJ

@Mark90 > Yeah, I love digital inputs, but it doesn't make sense to have them on the DJM-850 since the CDJ-850's don't have digital outputs. Not to mention it helps with costs. ;)

February 22, 2012 23:46
User photo
Cheeba
End User

Looks nice. I like the sidechain effects idea. Can't wait to try one out.

February 23, 2012 00:48
User photo
Xador

@Mark 90: No, it's an working example of the DJM 2000! :-P

Well, I see, they have started to cencor rigth now...

February 23, 2012 03:27
User photo
Xador

So my comment wil self destroy in:

:-D

February 23, 2012 03:28
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Markoerregger > The Beat Effects are almost like quantized effects - they're a nifty little feature that I really like on the unit.

@Xador > What are you on about?

There will, of course, be more information and videos to come.

February 23, 2012 03:35
User photo
DJ KIKI

Cool mixer :] A little overpriced by my opinion. I wonder about real street price that is usualy lower :)

I still see DJM-700 as a best buy, VERY cheap, and LOTS of features.

@Pulse > Now we have a tons of similar mixers in range DJM-700, DJM-800, DJM-850, DJM-900. It is really time for Pioneer to consider a new 2 channel mixer with beat effects (with multiple parameters), manual filter and balanced output. A new son of DJM-400. People are switching to competition mixers because Pioneer lacks with cheap mixers now :( Btw this is my 1000th post about this :P

February 23, 2012 03:52
User photo
Anton Borisov

Is it based on the same DSP engine/platform as 900 or 800?

The part from 900 annoncenement reads "The DJM-900nexus is equipped with the same audio input and output circuits as Pioneer's flagship DJM-2000 to achieve the most accurate audio reproduction from connected sources...". I guess this (whatever it means) is not true for 850?

February 23, 2012 05:34
User photo
DJ NVASION
@Anton it seems it has the newest soundcard from pioneer. Which means one of two things, first it has the same sound quality as the djm 900 nexus Or second it had same quality as the 900 but with some updates on the soundcard. Either way it will have the same sound quality from the djm 900 nexus. Now I don't know if this is a typo or not but the discription under beat effects towards the end of the sentence reads that the beat effects can be combined to have 100s of combinations. Are they refering to the color effects in conjuction with each beat effect or the beat effects alone can combine with each other? if so I am selling my 900 asap lol...
February 23, 2012 06:57
User photo
davids_lfc

Hi Guys, I've been looking at the 900NXS to replace my 800 and have a few questions:

The colour effects on the DJM 850 have a 'beat' function, does the 900NXS carry the 'beat' colour effetcts or are they manual like the 800? 

If not could a firmwire update see this introduced by assigning a defunct button (in my case this would be the midi function) to control the beat on off for the colour effects. Thanks

February 23, 2012 10:26
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

@davids_lfc > No, the MIDI button is far from defunct; many DJs use it!  If Pioneer were to reassign this button I feel there'd be many unhappy DJs.  ;)  Unfortunately I don't believe there are any plans to introduce the Beat effect to the 900nexus.

February 23, 2012 10:28
User photo
davids_lfc

Thanks for the reply Pulse. I didn't think so just thought it may be a possibility. Nevermind I'm sure the NXS would look better next to my 2 CDJ 900s anyway! Still the 850 looks like an amazing bit of kit.

February 23, 2012 10:33
User photo
DJ NVASION

Under beat effects towards the end of the sentence reads that the beat effects can be combined to have 100s of combinations. Are they refering to the color effects in conjuction with each beat effect or the beat effects alone can combine with each other?

February 23, 2012 14:06
User photo
Robert Rodriguez

As a PIO fanboy I gotta check this new mixer out but as a DJM900NXS owner don't have a real reason to buy it. =)

February 23, 2012 14:50
User photo
L V G

Censure is ON ... u can only say good things or u are erased ... LOL

February 23, 2012 22:15
User photo
Mark90
Silver

To be honest, people with the 900 should be asking "Should I buy a 2000?", and people with the 2000 should be asking "Should I buy the 900?".

If you have either of these 2 mixers, then it makes 0 sense at all to even consider moving to an 850.

The 850 is the logical, and most attractive option for owners of 500's, 600's, 700's or 800's, or CDJ-850's or below.

February 24, 2012 00:59
User photo
Dj Trend

When I try to play the video, it says 'this video is private' ???

February 24, 2012 06:38
User photo
DJ NVASION

Go on youtube there are a few uploads on there with this same video.  It must be something with the or settings on your end either it be a mobile or something because I have no problem seeing the video.  Check it out on youtube.

February 24, 2012 10:35
User photo
DJ NVASION

For the third time Please someone explain why it the description it says that the beat effects can work to create 100s of combinations(not exact words) do they mean the combination with color effects and beat effects or can you actually use more than one beat effect at a time?

February 24, 2012 10:37
User photo
Xador

@DJ NVASION: I think, it is marketing. Let's see:

(4 color + 1 beat fx) * 13 beat FX = 65 Effects + external MIDI stuff...

I don't see any additional knob or button, with allows you to switch an effect an "hold" the one bevore active!

February 24, 2012 11:04
User photo
dj_eddie_gr

Don't forget that the Wet/Dry knob acts different now.... After the middle of the turn you get an extra effect combination... ;)

February 24, 2012 12:00
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ
@NVASION > Nobody has one yet, I don't know what they were referring to when they came up with that number. But no, it's certainly not more than one beat effect at a time.
February 24, 2012 12:41
User photo
dj_eddie_gr

Does it sends MIDI Clock ?

February 24, 2012 12:53
User photo
DJ NVASION

Thanks guys I thought I was missing something.  Pulse actually some one has one check this link I am surprised they did not get you guys a try on them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq306OLVMiQ.  One thing I don't get is the whole beat color effects thing.   

February 24, 2012 19:36
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

@NVASION > I found out this evening that Gavin has one, I don't have one yet but may have it shortly.  The guy in the video (DJ Baby J) is a Pioneer demonstrator in Sweden.

February 24, 2012 20:06
User photo
DJ NVASION

@Pulse, awesome man when you get your hands on one let us know a description on what exactly the beat color effects and echo up exactly  do also see if  the regular echo works more like the djm 900 or more like the djm 800.   Thanks for your help.  

February 24, 2012 20:23
User photo
Cheeba
End User

Standard question #1: Rotary option?

Standard question #2: Rack ears?

Standard question #3: Is it Babe-In-A-Box compatible?

February 27, 2012 05:26
User photo
Mark90
Silver

As with anything, when Babe-In-A-Box is released, you'd expect it to be compatible with all previous hardware that came before it.

February 27, 2012 05:38
User photo
BriChi
Silver

Rotary oprion? I am going to say no being that it is the same plate as the 900 which does not have the option

February 27, 2012 05:41
User photo
D Mark Mills

I can't  but think that this mixer would be more complete with the dedicated beat effect filter from the DJM700 as we all love a filter but this is beneath my 2000 and I already own a 700 so I can always fire it up , great to see new kit though .how much does the 850 cost out of interest ? (UK)

February 27, 2012 10:01
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Cheeba > As with the 900, there was no demand for a rotary option (feedback from the 800) so I doubt this will be available for the 850 either. I'd imagine rack ears would certainly be compatible, I'll have to find out further. Yes, the unit is multi-BIAB compatible.

@Mark Mills > More information will become available on price soon - bare in mind, prices quoted in press releases are the manufacturers suggested retail price. They normally hit stores cheaper.

**For everyone else, given the vast number of questions etc perhaps if I organized a uStream session where you could send me your questions and I could answer them live might be the best option....? let me know what you think.

February 28, 2012 01:47
User photo
Nicola
Sorry. to but in but can anyone help me i have the cdj350w package with the djm350w mixer im trying to get my i pad connected to my mixer to use as more effects as i have two cdj's hooked up at the back of the mixer the only slots available are two phono slots each side next to were my cdj's are plugged in then the other slot i have is the aux i have looked at the manual and it says to use a ipod but in my case a i pad u should use the aux but when i plug it in i get nothing ??? But when i plug my i pad into one of the phono slots via red and white and the other end of the cable into my i pad headphones slot i get sound then i can switch from cd to phono there is a slight sound diffrence i just want to know what is the correct way as i dont want o blow anything please help
February 28, 2012 09:18
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Nicola > Please post to the correct forums and we'd be happy to help.

February 28, 2012 09:52
User photo
DJ NVASION

If anyone wants to finally see the djm 850 at work check this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp7mk7F3zD0 its by Dj Antonin so its all in french there are two parts so look for the second one.  I think the djm 850 is a great mixer now that I got my answers on what the beat color effects actually do.  So it basically  takes the four color effects and when you press the beat color button it kinda gives the color effect a rhythmic pattern that goes to the beat of the channel you are using.  Example noise sounds just like it does in previous mixers when used as is but with the beat color effect engaged it gives it a rhythmic pulse sound same goes for the rest of the three color effects which is gate, filter and crush.  The new echo up effect is awesome as well which is pretty much a echo effect that does a pitch change while it echo's up.  So to summarize at least in my opinion this mixer has everything that is popular on the 900 nexus like the slip roll,spiral and noise but also has a couple new neat features such as the beat color effect buttons and the echo up in my opinion the only thing that the 900 has over the 850 is the x pad for instant use of the beat effects which is cool but I think the difference in price of these two mixers are about four hundred dollars so I am sure quite a few 900 owners including myself are wondering should we sell.  Really for me at least if the djm 850 has a superior or the same sound card as the 900 nexus I think I would change and save some money.  On a side note the space color effect I think is cool but melodic and dub echo where no good again in my opinion of course.    

February 28, 2012 17:48
User photo
DJ NVASION

Also the djm 900 nexus has over the djm 850 which I do not use is the ethernet link and digital inputs.   I have questions about this I am sure they have been commented before but hopefully someone could help me out.  1.  Is the ethernet link just so you could link four cdjs together while only using one usb and all the cdjs could read off that one usb?  Also with a laptop and using record box why would you need to use the link feature if you can connect the laptop to the usb port on top?  2. Is the digital inputs just so their won't be any loss of quality in sound?  3. Is the digital out to connect mobile devices like ipods and such?  Sorry if my questions sound amateurish I still mix with a pair of cdjs 800 mk2 and djm 900 nexus no DVS just cds.  

February 28, 2012 19:53
User photo
Mark90
Silver

@Nvasion:  The ethernet link is to allow you to use Pro Link, for the DJM-900 that means it can receive Quantize information from CDJ-2000/CDJ-900, and also to enable the Cue Link feature where you can preview a track from RekordBox to the mixer and into your headphones directly.  The USB port on top is not for use with Pro Link, just for the MIDI and soundcard capabilities.

Digital inputs/outputs will preserve sound quality.  As has been pointed out, the CDJ-850 does not have digital outputs.  The DJM-850 is what Pioneer is pairing with those CDJs so there's no real 'need' for it to have digital inputs.  A digital output is useful as since its internals are digital, it's easy enough to output a digital signal and many sound systems accept a digital signal readily (although why, why, why Pioneer do your S-DJs not have digital inputs when all your mixers have digital outputs???)

As I've said previously, People with CDJ-900s or CDJ-2000s should "naturally" go for either the DJM-900 or DJM-2000.  Owners of CDJ-850s or below should be geared towards the DJM-850 or below, unless they have longer term upgrade plans.  Any other combination of hardware just means you're buying into features that you simply cannot use.

February 28, 2012 23:47
User photo
DJ NVASION
@Mark90 Thanks for the feed back.
February 29, 2012 01:24
User photo
BriChi
Silver

does anyone know if the 850 has the 800 style echo or the horrendous 900 broken echo effect?

February 29, 2012 02:18
User photo
L V G

http://www.djsounds.com/fr_fr/02/29/pr%C3%A9sentation-du-djm-850-pa...

OMG he's using CDJ2000s ... CDJ850 aren't supposed to be used instead ? Oo

February 29, 2012 02:29
User photo
Mark90
Silver

The Beat Color FX are very nice.  And again I'm reminded how much I yearn for post-fader Color FX.

It used to be that as you rose up the model numbers, each product was better than the one below it, now we're dominated by differing USPs. :-/

February 29, 2012 05:52
User photo
D Mark Mills

Christ stop with the comparisons, work with the mixer that you've chosen and exploit it to it's potential ,after all it's about the music and not the hard ware ,give the music  a personal flavour of your own with the kit you use .

February 29, 2012 06:36
User photo
BriChi
Silver

well being that so many dj;s are used to the 800 echo, it would be nice to know BEFORE you buy it if the echo in the 850 sounds as bad as the echo on the 900, this way people can decide before hand if they want to purchase it instead of finding out if a popular effect was screwed up in the mixer they buy :)  plenty of dj;s so add personal flavor to their sets, but using specific effects they like, if you dont use effect, good for you, but other dj's do so why do you care if we ask if certain features are the same between mixers?

February 29, 2012 06:59
User photo
housekeys

@BriChi, DJ Antonin stated the echo is same as the djm 900

February 29, 2012 07:21
User photo
BriChi
Silver
He did? Where?
February 29, 2012 07:34
User photo
DJ NVASION

@BriChi  Yeah I asked Dj Antonin he said it works like the Djm 900 Nexus.  Damn... Well hopefully Pulse and Gavin have relaid the message concerning the echo effect on the djm 900 nexus and hopefully we will get an update on possible next firmware.  From the forum which you have attached the video that shows how the echo works better when it is used simultaneously by switching to the echo effect while engaging the effect vs having the effect switched already to the echo effect then engaging the effect.  A lot of people agree but hey Pulse and Gavin have pulled through many times before but it is also not in there hands its up to the engineers so well see.  

February 29, 2012 07:37
User photo
BriChi
Silver

thank you, missed it

February 29, 2012 09:51
User photo
untitled

Personal opinion, note that I am not hating...

I own 2 cdj 1000 mk3's and a djm 900 and hdj 1000.  I am done upgrading Pio gear as it feels they are flooding the market with products every 6 months (which is not a fact but what it feels like) with products that are too close in features, and looks with one another.

The DJM 850 is nice, looks like fun, but where is the diversity? Pioneer's recent direction is like comparing a Honda Civic EX to a LX to a DX to a Si.  They are all the same with minor differences. This is great for the company for attracting new customers (also very very confusing) but to current owners, just a distraction.

this too shall pass...

March 02, 2012 06:06
User photo
Dj Trend

I agree with Untitled! In the beginning when Pioneer came out with their equipment. They asked all types of Dj's what they would like to use or do on pro equipment. Now every video has electronica music on it ( which I like that type of music) but how come they don't play and disco,80's, or even some 90's?? Just a question. Because other Dj's have to in order to make a living. So Pioneer is 'pushing' out gear that produces fancy effects that most common folks can really care less about. Back in the day I was able to be more creative with 2 turntables and a Realistic Radio Shack mixer, which I can still do a better job then some of todays Dj's. So I'm done because I can still rock the party with 2 CDJ-500's and the DJM-500 .......

March 02, 2012 07:01
User photo
DJ NVASION

Yeah I am with you on this.  I know a little about business so I am not going to act like a know better than PIONEER, but from just common sense I think they would've hit it out the park if they would've just came out with the djm 900 nexus with everything it has plus the beat color effects and echo up and sell it for 1799$   That would in my opinion be a sweet spot for so many djs that would want to buy a mixer that they wouldn't have to upgrade till another 4-5 years.   The problem is the 900 was dubbed as the next standard club mixer now this 850 is dubbed as the successor to the 800 which was the club standard mixer.   In my opinion they should've combined them both and sell the 900 for 200 less and everyone would've been happy.  Wait and a side note keep the echo the same as the djm 800)

Pulse and or Gavin if you guys speak to Davey Dave let him know about the DJM 999 email I sent him awhile back.  It was a 2-4 page outline summarizing what I think the next step in mixers should go I wonder what he thought about it.  I know the marketing department received the email they responded back.  Just curious if he even got it or even remembers it.  

March 02, 2012 07:01
User photo
Mark90
Silver

I don't understand why people are having so much trouble placing the 850 in Pioneer's product line?The 800 was the club standard, period.  Then it was severely left behind as more people were opting for controllers, mass storage for their music, DVS systems, laptops etc.  The answer was the 900 - clearly the new club standard.  Even though the 700 came out after the 800, it was aimed at smaller time, or bedroom DJs, but even that mixer now I believe, is at the end of its lifecycle.  Hence the 850.

Also, if I ran a business, I'd want people to be buying my products ALL the time.  I wouldn't want to make something which people buy, then don't upgrade for 5+ years.  How do you make money like that?  Another point is age perception.  If a CDJ is the most amazing thing on the market, even after 5 years, some potential customers will actually avoid buying it merely because of its age.  Something a lot more recent is always more attractive, people don't like buying into old technology.  As long as the new models are good enough upgrades, it's always going to work.

March 02, 2012 07:45
User photo
Dj Trend

I remeber in the late 80's and early 90's when I used and saw Numark mixers being used in big clubs! So what do you mean by "club standards"?? It's about talent and a Dj knowing his shit. Now a days all the younger kids want to do everything on a computer or computer base equipment and they just can't do it, the talent is horrible because they are depending on free downloads of music and software. Rane and UREI mixers designed mixers that you would buy for top dollar and you knew that this was going to be your mixer for the next 10 years. And you and your buddies would make it a challenge to learn it inside and out! Just like the Technic turntables that had the same design for 30 some years (and I still have mine) you would have to use imagination not fancy buttons and effects. And me and my Dj friends can still use old technology behind the Dj booth and you would never even know if you were dancing and hitting on chicks!!

March 02, 2012 08:36
User photo
DJ NVASION

Personally I don't have a problem with the djm 850 I just think in my opinion it would've been better for business and the consumer if they went the route I mentioned in the above post.  Seeing has they are advertising the mixer to be the successor the the djm 800 not the 700 and the price range would probably be around 1599$ which is way over for most home bedroom djs.  A lot of people are getting confused as which mixer to get now if they haven't purchased one to begin with, and for those who have purchased a mixer they are having some remorse it happened with the 2000 owners comparing the 900 nexus.  Again I am just putting my 2cents and I do understand that you think Pioneer was trying to get the right mixer to place with the cdj 850 which I do agree.  But with the price tag I think that was something they should've considered.  

@Mark90 the 800 actually was not severely left behind at least not in the US.  Most consumers in my opinion went with the djm 2000 or just stayed with the djm 800 in many cases.  Now I am not saying that people were not going for the controllers but there where definitely more djs still waiting for a 900 to come through than just a controller.  For a business you need a staple that all other companies and consumers refer to one being the djm 800.  Many companies tried to come with something better but many consumers would match it up and the djm 800 would stand on top at the time and still try to buy the 800.  These types of items do last 4-5 years and is good for business because just like the technique 1200s which are still being bought till this day of course with a few minor upgrades you can't go wrong with having a product that costs so much and that lasts 4-5 years.  Remember that is just for Pioneers club standard mixer there is always room to make more $$$ with bedroom djs like the 350 and 400, controllers and flagship mixers djm 2000.  

I am just saying I have no problem with the djm 850 I don't have one yet but it seems like it something that I would love to get.  I own the 900 nexus presently and think it would've been best to just have the 900 nexus with the beat color effects and echo up and sell it for $1799.  Because when you have a product that many djs who don't use pioneer products are shopping around for just a great mixer no one can argue against having a product that has that longevity just knowing regardless of cost that you are investing in a product that would last you 4-5 years.   Which will grow in popularity raising sales ect...Just my opinion, I do see where some of you are coming from though as well.  

March 02, 2012 08:42
User photo
untitled

Flat out, if you were asked by someone with cash in their hand what Pioneer mixer should I buy would you not say 900 or the 2K?? I know I would.

March 02, 2012 11:27
User photo
BriChi
Silver

It depends on how much cash is in their hand :)

March 02, 2012 11:28
User photo
untitled

LOL I knew that was going to come, I'm glad it was from you :)

March 02, 2012 11:29
User photo
BriChi
Silver

LOL

March 02, 2012 12:22
User photo
D Mark Mills

@Dj trend , I like what you saying when it comes to buying new equipment ,I will look at the mixers and check out it's versatility when being used in different situations ,like connectabilty, whether it can be used as a software/ midi controller,filters, isolators etc the effects do come into it but not as much as a mixers usefulness in different situations with an overall look on sound quality and perfomance for future use. I bought the 2000 after using the 700 which was loaded with quality effects but channel to channel this was for me a blinding mixer alongside cdj 1000 and vinyl decks but it had many limitations for future use and no digital inputs so when i upgraded i went all in for the future. I really feel for those bought the legendary DJM 800 as many features were lost on it's later said natural upgrade the DJM 900 ,I miss some of the features on the 700 but thought long and hard about whether i should upgrade to 900 or the 2000 but when making the decision excepted that the new kit would not be the same that to me is progression in marketing which Pioneer are very clever with. But have got to say i've asked myself did i buy the right mixer a few times now and after reading so many forums it appears that both would be  .@BriChi With my earlier thread i was just trying to say if you are going to upgrade to a new mixer "850 or 900 " it won't be the same as the mighty 800 as they are completely new and different breeds of mixers and that is progression so find the new ways to champion your choice if you do upgrade .My personal view on the 850 would be, cool mixer but as with the 700 limited future use as no digital inputs  etc , natural upgrade it would have to be 900 or 2000 and don't sell the 800 .

March 02, 2012 23:12
User photo
Dj Trend

@D Mark Mills, well put! I just hate having to go inside Best Buy and seeing PIONEER equipment. When I first started to buy the gear I was also in it for convienance and quality and vision. I do have the DJM-800 and 2 cdj-2000 and i'll stop there because their should be more focus on designing a mixer without a crossfader because I have not met a electronica Dj that uses it, but thust just me and I know there's a lot of debate with this suggestion. Or perhaps a mixer that all imformation on the plate lights up so I don't have to keep using a damn light. They can get it on the CDJ's so why not the mixers?? and definately have phono still available on ch.1,2, and 3 because it's still important to not forget that some of us still use vinyl. That's why I still keep my DJM-600 just so I can enjoy the records or serato.

March 03, 2012 08:34
User photo
BriChi
Silver

yes, well put Mills! I understand what you are saying

March 03, 2012 09:24
User photo
DJ NVASION

@Pulse and @Gavin hey just seeing if you guys are working on a vid to show what pretty much Dj Antonin did but of course in english show us the effects in realtime and just your thoughts on ect.. 

March 05, 2012 07:10
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Nvasion > I offered to do a uStream session with the unit and had no takers...

March 06, 2012 09:57
User photo
DJ NVASION

@Gavin, its cool we got other people doing vids here is another video with a little more detail on the depth knob and how it works a little differently with certain effects such as the reverb and echo up once the depth knob passes the 12'oclock.  I wonder though if all effects have different uses such as regular echo and trans past the 12 o clock on the depth knob.  Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCgoSZLi_Fw

March 08, 2012 12:51
User photo
Bricey

Well, I've made my mind up. Going to order the DJM-850.

Alittle help please. I've read all of the above and viewed the videos., but I can't justify the extra £300 for 2 extra colour effects, digital outputs and Pro Link?

I think the Echo up and Beat colour effects, make up for this loss?

Am I making the right decision, or can the owners of the Nexus sway me?

I use cdj2000s, Technics 1210s mk3s, Traktor Pro 2 and HDJ2000s.

Thanks, Bricey.

March 14, 2012 01:14
User photo
Mark90
Silver

You have CDJ-2000s, get the DJM-900.  Benefit from Quantized Effects and Pro Link at least.  The extra money on the mixer will bring more value from your existing gear.

March 14, 2012 01:42
User photo
Foster
Pioneer DJ

@Bricey > As @Mark90 mentioned, the 900 would provide you with Quantized Beat Effects using the LINK with the CDJ-2000's. Your 1210's would not be Quantized however. Also, you would have a "Cue LINK" on the DJM-900 if you connect your computer running Rekordbox to the setup, and I would recommend using the digital inputs with your 2000's. Lastly, the 900 has the X-Pad which is a great tool for being creative with your Beat Effects.

March 14, 2012 02:20
User photo
Mark90
Silver

I just think that if you're looking to save a mere £300 therefore locking yourself out of several quality features in the process, you might as well just sell your 2000s and get CDJ-850s instead.

I think there's an element of desire involved just because the DJM-850 is the most recent thing off Pioneer's production line.

March 14, 2012 02:49
User photo
Bricey
@mark90 & @Foster Massive thank you for your comments. You have highlighted some important issues I was not aware of! I think the video of the 850 with the side chained noise just sucked me in!! ;) I think I will go for the 900, I did want this originally, but thought the 850 'was' better value, nothing to do with how recent it was. If you could confirm a few more points for me please, then I'm sold!! ;) The transform effect on 900: Does the gate length change from 12 o'clock onwards on depth dial, onwards like on the 850? As it makes scratching better like the character did on my old ! The cue link? Why, when you can cue on channel? I use Rekordbox, but how does 900 incorporate? Thanks in advance. Bricey
March 14, 2012 12:53
User photo
Bricey
Like ghe character did on my old efx1000 that should say sorry! ;)
March 14, 2012 12:55
User photo
Mark90
Silver

@Bricey, RekordBox incorporates with the 900 in terms of the Quantized effects.  I'm going to assume you have Pro Link sorted on your 2000s - you have them both connected to a network switch, along with your computer, allowing you to play tracks directly from RekordBox.  If you connect the 900 to the network switch, it receives the RekordBox beatgrid information from the CDJs so the effects become Quantized and always stay in time.

With Cue Link (again you need the 900 connected to the network switch along with your RekordBox computer), if you are using RekordBox to play your tracks, you can listen to a track on the Cue Link section directly through your headphones.  Why is this useful?  For example you have a track loaded and cued into each CDJ - you can preview other tracks through Cue Link without messing around with your already cued tracks on your CDJs.

The link on the 900 also means you can take advantage of the 2000's On-Air Display, and have the jog wheel LEDs turn red when their channel is 'live'.

And yes - digital inputs!  Go digital!

March 14, 2012 13:29
User photo
Bren

do you guy's think the 850 price is  right. for what you get?

March 28, 2012 07:45
User photo
DJ NVASION

Hey Bren [EDIT] I suggest you shop around and you could probably save your self a couple hundred.  I don't know if I can give you sites on here as I think it is prohibited but do your research and also call dj online stores and or email them as well.  Choose online websites that are well known so you won't get the run around.  To actually answer your question I love pioneer as many on here do because pioneer products are built to last but in saying this they are a bit over priced but you can get a lot of deals if you do your research.  [EDIT]

March 28, 2012 09:50
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Nvasion > Forum ToS - No discussing price.

@Bren Mac > The best thing we can tell you to do, as applies in all situations where you are buying an expensive item, is to shop around. Its important to consider not just the business that gave you the best price but the one that provided the best support and who you think you wouldn't have any problems with, should there be any issues with your order.

What fits one DJs needs may not fit another so consider does the unit fit YOUR needs and deliver value for YOU. Or would you be better off buying a cheaper unit / second hand / refurb unit.

March 28, 2012 09:56
User photo
DJ NVASION

Hey Gavin didn't know thanks for the edit. 

March 28, 2012 10:04
User photo
markoerregger
Is this Mixer compatible with Firmware updates?
May 30, 2012 03:59
User photo
djjay
Pioneer DJ

@Markoerregger as in will there be future FW updates like with other mixers?  I assume as any improvement is made and pushed with FW it will make it to the mixer.  Watch the Forums for all new announcements...

May 30, 2012 11:43
User photo
markoerregger

Sorry for miss understanding,my question is how can upgrade the Firmware from this Mixer?

On the Djm 900/2000 gets the Firmware Update over LAN Cabel but the Djm 850 dont have this

Sorry for bad English greets from Austria

May 30, 2012 18:22
User photo
djjay
Pioneer DJ

No problem, I would say the USB port would be used..

May 30, 2012 19:06
User photo
kev inn

Could someone tell me the part number for the Service Manual for this please, we have a faulty one.

June 27, 2012 02:57
User photo
BriChi
Silver
June 27, 2012 03:00
User photo
kev inn

thanks BriChi but Pioneer UK say it is not available :-(

July 02, 2012 11:52
User photo
Matt Allem

Thinking about picking up the DJM-850-K to match my CDJ-850-K's but have a couple of questions. I am a Scratch Live user, and I only 2 decks, would I be able to midi map the color effect knob and the cue button to Scratch Live's effects if wanted? Also is the crossfader mappable, I'm a hamster style DJ and also do video DJing so being able to do this is very important to me! Thanks for your time!

July 02, 2012 15:57
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

@Matt > You most certainly could - you only map what you want and the rest simply controls audio.

July 04, 2012 07:08
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

@kev inn > The service manual is not available to the public.

July 04, 2012 07:12
User photo
Matt Jackson

my only wish for 900 would be to have two pro link ports to save me having to carry on my flight case an ethernet switch - very annoying!

Not every dj is beedroom or studio based... being a working road dj the least amount of clutter in the box the better - and less bits to fault find when something does go wrong!

lots of djs that use my kit all ask why the quantize effect doesnt work... so my reply is "theres only one pro dj link on the back of this mixer.. and i have two cdj2000s... ask pio why they left it off?!"

I appreciate these things are made to a cost but seriously does one eithernet port and a few electronic geeky bits really push the cost up that much on something thats already premium price...

July 08, 2012 00:11
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

Not enough room for more ports.

July 08, 2012 05:02
User photo
Aladdin

I just bought this mixer, where can i grab a case for this bad boy, what would you guy recommend ?

August 22, 2012 13:09
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Aladdin > Where are you located?

August 23, 2012 05:13
User photo
ayden smith

hey guys, just wondering why the 850 and 900 do not have the microphone cut from booth option like on the 800, or is there a way to apply this? with the mic set to go through the booth speakers it is very frustrating for DJ's, let alone causing huge amounts of feedback with the volume the monitors are normally set to. thanks for your help!

August 28, 2012 18:45
User photo
Dez

Would appreciate if someone from Pioneer could take a look into these related issues

http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/21925318-djm-latency-issues-whe...

http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/21875197-help-recording-from-us...

Starting to really think the USB out on my mixer has issues as its very random, for example last I was able to record for a whole 38 minutes before the audio dropped and I got that transform sound scratchy effect. The main reason I bought the 850 for the USB out recording. Very frustrating.

Appreciate any feedback as I am starting to loose it :(

August 30, 2012 02:00
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

@Dez > See your first thread.

@ayden > They do; the option is located within the CLUB SETUP menu, found by pressing and holding the UTILITY button when powering-up the mixer.

August 30, 2012 08:20
User photo
ayden smith

thanks Pulse, I appreciate that help!

August 30, 2012 10:08
User photo
gary wyn carr

Hi, sorry to add a comment on this section! I've recently bought a CDJ-350 & DJM 350 package. Fab to use until i connected an ipod to the mic/aux input!  After 4/5 mins the mixer turns off automaticaly??!! (its ok on the other chanels!) I've been in touch with Pioneer who said thats strange...???? & advised me to contact my supplier who responded by asking me return the mixer...i work 4 nights per week & am unable to do this! Has anyone else had the same problem with the mixer??  Regards, Gary.

September 06, 2012 06:27
User photo
Махеш Лицо

Hi All,

u see i just got a DJM 850 (black)... i would like to know what is the function of connecting the mixer to my mac..

September 22, 2012 22:05
User photo
Махеш Лицо

Hi All,

u see i just got a DJM 850 (black)... i would like to know what is the function of connecting the mixer to my mac..

September 22, 2012 22:06
Topic is closed for comments