Forums/The Lounge/Gab Bag

Pioneer DJ Lab - Video Production Placements

David Eserin
posted this on April 11, 2012 05:24

Pioneer DJ are offering work experience placements at our London studio in the UK. 

The kind of work will range from creating entire videos, to helping on shoots, helping with editing, help with camera work, administration, replying to people on Youtube comments, and much more. It will really be a varied role.

We will be taking on work experience placements according to your availability. Ideally we would be looking for a minimum of three months and we would be happy if people could do between 2-5 days a week.

These placements will be ideal for video production and music production students or graduates looking to gain work experience in an exciting East London music industry hub. People who really impress are likely to be commissioned as freelancers for ongoing work, so it's your opportunity to impress and kick-start your career.  

APPLICATION

To be in with a chance, I would like you to create and present a video and upload it to Youtube. The objective is to create a review of your chosen Pioneer product with the intention of making the general public understand exactly what the product is and why you would want to use it above other products. In this video you should highlight at least one performance trick. You should both demonstrate the trick and explain how to perform it. We will be looking for the following:

- Good presentation skills
- Clear and easy to understand information
- The production value, based on your resources
- How quickly you complete the work
- Planning skills

When you finish the video, I would like you to write me an email with the link to the video and a brief summary of how you produced the video. I would also like to see your planning documents, such as any loose script, or shot-list, etc. Please also include your CV and any showreel you may have of video and DJ work. 

Deadline

Please complete your video by the 14th May 2012 and send me a personal message via this forum.

Any questions, please let me know below, and good luck – I look forward to meeting you!

David. 

Comments

User photo
Thomas Robertshaw
End User

Thank you for the information:) I will be submitting a video. Thank you once again:)

April 11, 2012 06:35
User photo
Sammy

Do we have to use a pioneer tabletop/mixer etc.? because i only get to use those in the clubs.

I would like to join in but it would be weird to go into the club to make some random movie explaining how a mixer/tabletop works...

April 11, 2012 07:50
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Sammy > I would imagine using Pioneer is quite important. If you were going for a job interview, your interviewer would want you to demonstrate you know all about the company that you hope will hire you; not about their competitor.

April 11, 2012 07:59
User photo
Foster
Pioneer DJ

@David > Nice to meet you, and excellent work with those videos you worked on!

@David & @Gavin > I believe many would like to know if location matters?

Technically, I'm in 'London' right now. (Canada) ;)

April 11, 2012 08:35
User photo
David Eserin
Honey
@Foster > yes location matters as you will need to work with a team of people in London uk.
April 11, 2012 09:49
User photo
David Eserin
Honey
@Sammy > exactly as Gavin said, we want people that love pioneer equipment but if you don't have access then maybe you could borrow from someone, perhaps during the week. This is where the all-important initiative can shine through. But the main thing is the video should demonstrate you can actually make one. We need someone who can land running.
April 11, 2012 09:54
User photo
David Eserin
Honey

I forgot to say also send me your CV and any showreel you might have

April 11, 2012 20:16
User photo
Mark90
Silver

Well my day job means I won't be able to go for this but it looks like a cool opportunity so good luck to all those who have a shot at it!

April 11, 2012 22:39
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Foster > It'd be a heck of a commute every morning!

April 12, 2012 08:07
User photo
Sammy

I guess i take an picture then and have some greenscreen and video editting then ;)

April 12, 2012 08:12
User photo
Foster
Pioneer DJ

@Gavin > You know I'd do it if I had the $$. lol It would be amazing to have help with all my videos coming up!!

@David > Thanks for the info and best of luck with the rest of the process.

@All > Good luck to everyone who submits a video!

April 12, 2012 08:18
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

Basically, Eserin's trying to put a kaibosh on my awesome home-made videos and present something polished and full of awesomesauce. ;)

April 12, 2012 16:18
User photo
YHN

Hi. Could you please indicate the email address we should send the link to? Thanks you.

April 13, 2012 13:18
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Mandioro > Post your link to this thread - David can get in contact with you then once you've posted here.

April 14, 2012 00:09
User photo
Michael James Aston
@ sammy > depending on location ive just bought 2x CDJ2000's and a DJM350 mixer with virtual DJ for a bedroom set up you could review :-p.
April 15, 2012 19:49
User photo
Sammy

Im from the south of the netherlands , Probably No one on this site is closer then 30KM/20 Miles.

April 16, 2012 08:27
User photo
Cheeba
End User

The promises of sexual molestation seem to have been subtly dropped...

April 17, 2012 00:22
User photo
David Eserin
Honey

OK, so how many people are going to step up to the challenge? 

April 17, 2012 03:08
User photo
David Eserin
Honey

PS... i extended the deadline to 14th May. 

April 17, 2012 03:14
User photo
Foster
Pioneer DJ

@David > I'd definitely love to take part, but unfortunately I'm in the wrong London.
If you have some time, would you mind taking a quick look at some of the videos I've done so far, and provide some feedback?

April 17, 2012 03:28
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

@Cheeba > I don't know what you're talking about. :D

April 17, 2012 07:19
User photo
Thomas Robertshaw
End User

Im hoping to have a video up by this weekend. This is very exciting:)

April 17, 2012 07:32
User photo
Sammy

As i see deadline is extended , My friend does video editting and has a greenscreen + Light now i probably Can Make a video :)

April 17, 2012 08:59
User photo
Paul Johnston
I'm really tempted by this but 5 Uni assignments to be done in this time aswell males for a head melt for time. Is there any way of submitting a cv even for future consideration?
April 19, 2012 16:46
User photo
Chris
Silver

I will have a video soon enough. :)

Any indication of what the pay will be? I need to know if it will be worth it for travel costs etc.

I'd do it if the pay covered travel costs as i've just finished studying audio engineering and am looking for full time work and this would look good on my CV. That's if my pure talents aren't snapped up by Pioneer for the long term ;)

April 21, 2012 00:32
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Paul > If there are positions available in the future we'll keep you posted.

@Chris > Where will you have to travel from if you were accepted?

For everyone else, c'mon! Lets see some videos!

April 23, 2012 07:25
User photo
Chris
Silver

Gavin, I live just north of brighton so not actually that far. With a young persons rail card, a london travel card is about £10-12  (if travelling after 9, getting into london at 10am earliest).

I know thats not a huge cost but some interns i've seen pay slave labour rates!

I will hopefully be recording my video this thursday so i will post it up then.

April 24, 2012 04:23
User photo
Robert Chrupczyk
April 29, 2012 10:34
User photo
Paul Johnston

Starting mine this week :)

May 01, 2012 12:51
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

Come on guys, only a few days to go and only 1 submission from the forums?

May 02, 2012 10:36
User photo
Paul Johnston

over a week!

May 02, 2012 10:37
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

Ever hear of first mover advantage? ;)

May 03, 2012 23:26
User photo
Chris
Silver

Mine will be up by monday. Filmed half of it yesterday, doing the rest today, then gotta do some editing 8-)

May 04, 2012 00:51
User photo
DJ Meks

Demit ! Awsome opportunity!  Give me a day or 2 and I give you 2 tutorials. :p

May 07, 2012 10:05
User photo
Ben Armstrong
Silver

Hi David,

Here's a link to my video http://youtu.be/lqIcHd2-s8Q.  Please let me know how where I can send a CV and other documents to.

Thanks very much,

Ben Armstrong

May 10, 2012 22:30
User photo
David Eserin
Honey

@ Ban Armstrong

Hey Ben, thanks for that and great work. You should be able to submit your details as a Personal Message to me on this site, or send it to Gavin or Pulse.

May 11, 2012 00:40
User photo
rdr

Here is my submission:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCmC9I_z4p4

I've got my CV, production notes, storyboard and script on hand as well, but like Ben I'm also having a hard time figuring out how to send PMs on the site.

I've also redone the audio in one of the DDJ-ERGO promotional videos. You can find that video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgUbA93OvUw

Thank you for your time and consideration!

May 11, 2012 00:52
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ
PMs aren't enabled on the site. Email me and I'll send them to David. My email is gavin (at) mixaddicts (dot)(com)
May 11, 2012 01:03
User photo
David Eserin
Honey

My mistake, I really should know this site doesn't have PMs... 

For anyone who is still working on their projects, I would specifically like to see you present to camera as 'rdr' has in his first video

@ Ben Armstrong > Can you create a video that shows you talking to the camera please, no need to worry about fancy editing, just standing by your kit and presenting a small chunk of the script you used for your other video will be fine. 

May 11, 2012 01:15
User photo
David Eserin
Honey

Robert Chrupczyk > Thanks for your videos and good effort. However, i can't hear what you are saying. It's very important that you demonstrate your ability to clearly communicate in the video and to present as a portrait style shot to the camera. As if you are a TV presenter.

Thanks for the submissions so far people. I'm really looking forward to the prospect of working with you. 

May 11, 2012 01:22
User photo
Robert Chrupczyk
Hi David sorry for my videos :( I make this video no 5 min and my English its still no best . I Edit this video no YouTube website ( editor ) my microphone its on bad quality . Ps this submission must by no English or It may be in another language ? ( POLISH )
May 11, 2012 01:59
User photo
Ben Armstrong
Silver

Hi David,

Here's a link to me presenting the first part of my original video.  http://youtu.be/BxcYV6Mq7Xk

Thanks very much,

Ben

May 11, 2012 07:49
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Robert > Fluent English is required.

@Ben > Can you email your CV so I can send this to David too please (as well as anything else you wish to send me). My email is gavin (at)mixaddicts (dot)(com)

May 11, 2012 08:09
User photo
David Eserin
Honey

@Ben Armstrong > Wow, great turnaround, thanks Ben, and great work. You present really well and your first video showed a strong understanding of how to produce a clip in line with the Pioneer style. Please send your details through to Gavin and I'll be in touch. 

May 11, 2012 19:51
User photo
David Eserin
Honey

Just a note to say that we are still interested to hear from you if you haven't got time 

@Foster > Where are your videos, post up some links

@Sammy > How about you? 

@Paul Johnston > There will be more opportunities, so please go ahead and submit something for the future, but obviously we'll give priority to those who have come through by the deadline as we're looking to get people started asap. We have capacity for two full-time placements, but also extra people could do a few days here and there, or maybe just a couple weeks. We're flexible. 

@Chris Stockwell > @DJ Meks >  @Thomas Robertshaw > How are your videos coming along?

May 11, 2012 20:09
User photo
Foster
Pioneer DJ

@David Eserin > Here is a link to most of the work I've done - http://www.youtube.com/MusicAndyFoster

It's nothing extravagant; but full of content, and plenty more videos to come.

I appreciate you taking a look at some of the stuff when you get the time. Unfortunately I'm not local, so I didn't create a submission.

Thanks, and good luck going over the submissions!

@All > Best of luck to everyone who submitted! :) 

May 11, 2012 21:42
User photo
Chris
Silver

I've done the recording, Just editing it all together now. 

May 12, 2012 03:53
User photo
Chris
Silver

Right, I have finally finished my video, here is the link.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlITGkoDxaM&feature=youtu.be

It was made using my laptops built in camera and microphone, but all of the audio excluding speech was done through my DJM900's sound card. The software used was iMovie and Logic Studio. The shots are either of my equipment, or of me in portrait style. I could not get a shot of me in portrait with the equipment in view as i could not get the lighting right. The built in camera on my laptop is terrible at the best of times.

David i have sent you an email with the link, and video descriptions, my CV and script/film structure documents.

I had a lot of fun making the video, and i will be keen to make more in a professional environment.

I will look forward to hearing from you.

May 13, 2012 11:09
User photo
DJ Meks

Done with my tutorials. It will be 4 tutorials instead of 2. This because my second tutorial consist out of 3 parts.
Could not upload second it this weekend because of a deejay meeting.

Ill e-mail you to tomorrow

Pioneer CDJ 2000 / DJM 2000 Tips and Tricks (new advanced tricks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbNXgSZnBnk

Second one will be a walkthrough of the DJM 2000

May 13, 2012 11:40
User photo
DJ Meks

btw second one will be online tomorrow.

May 13, 2012 11:42
User photo
YHN

Hello! I am finally done. Here is the link to my video:

http://youtu.be/iSVIcBKgFWA

May 13, 2012 14:19
User photo
Paul Johnston

Got mine done... uploading atm, will fire over an email in morning!

May 13, 2012 14:20
User photo
David Eserin
Honey

@ Chris Stockwell >  Thanks for the video, i've watched and you've done a great job with your limited facilities. 

@ DJ Meks > Some great tricks there, please send through your info. 

@ YHN > Your clip seems to have been removed, maybe you can use Yousendit or something.

May 13, 2012 23:16
User photo
YHN

There was a problem with my link... Sorry about that.
Here's the one that works. Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDyExf_14r8 

May 13, 2012 23:17
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

Ok guys, just so we are clear... So far I have submitted the following to David

1) Chris Stockwell

2) Paul Johnston (but no CV)

3) Ben Armstrong

4) Rian Roland

Please remember when you are emailing me to include your username if it is different to the one you use here on the forums.

May 13, 2012 23:36
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@YHN > Can you email me the other accompanying details please.

@DJ Mekks > You too!

May 13, 2012 23:36
User photo
DJ Meks

Uploading at the moment. demit youtube your slow xD

CV almost finished

May 14, 2012 08:56
User photo
DJ Meks

Tutorials online!

The first tutorial is about a number of new advanced tricks of the pioneer CDJ2000 and DJM2000. Second tutorial is a full walkthrough about the DJM2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbNXgSZnBnk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O8xwxVaC70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjzoaY2PUSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr2cehwmKkA

Check it out! 

May 14, 2012 15:47
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

Updated list

1) Chris Stockwell

2) Paul Johnston

3) Ben Armstrong

4) Rian Roland

5) Yohai Nitzani

6) Ruben Lietaert

If you have submitted an application but your name isn't in the list, please contact me again.

May 15, 2012 06:33
User photo
Julian Leker

@Gavin - I send this link to David Eserin yesterday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWpzJhnFZOM&feature=youtu.be

May 15, 2012 08:22
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Julian > How? Do you have his email address? Did you include a CV? 

May 15, 2012 08:28
User photo
Julian Leker

@Gavin, I did send a PM on FB trough Rik parkinson... wanted to send PM for you here in this forum, is it possible? I have CV, Planning list etc.

May 15, 2012 08:43
User photo
Julian Leker

@Gavin here is a showreel where I've been producer https://vimeo.com/pressomanagement

May 15, 2012 09:38
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ
@Julian > yes, email me - gavin(at)mixaddicts(dot)(com)
May 16, 2012 23:07
User photo
David Eserin
Honey

Just a quick not to say that i should be in contact with you by tomorrow at the latest and thanks again for all the submissions. 

May 17, 2012 00:57
User photo
Tom Stephens

I have just come across this page, severely disappointed that i've missed the deadline date. I am a student at Leeds college of art studying Digital Film, Games and Animation and am a keen bedroom head dj. This project to me is perfect with my two loves of turntablism and filming come together. I have not yet produced a video but can in a day or two if you would let me?

Yours sincerely  Tom Stephens

May 17, 2012 03:52
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Tom > See if you can get something in by tonight - it doesn't have to be amazing - we just want to see your skills at presenting and product knowledge. Send me your CV and details of the recording.

email me - gavin(at)mixaddicts(dot)(com)

May 17, 2012 04:13
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

Thank you to everyone that took the time to submit some excellent applications for internship placements. We took the time over the weekend to go through all submissions and those that have been successful have been notified.

Pioneer hope to keep running the internship program as long as possible, so if you have applied but were unsuccessful you may be considered in the future. Similarly, if you haven't applied at all, we do encourage you to keep sending us your submissions for future reference.

May 22, 2012 23:08
User photo
Sammy

Does it matter if the video uses Older gear? (I have a DJM 800 and 1000mk3's...)

June 17, 2012 07:25
User photo
Sammy

Anyways heres a blank non-editted video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD1VxiuJYDk&feature=plcp

June 17, 2012 08:08
User photo
Kirk Kenneth

I used to have a hard time creating and editing videos. Thank you for this tutorial.

November 30, 2012 00:30