Forums/The Lounge/DJ-101

Beginner/Intermediate gear selections

Noor Daniel
posted this on July 07, 2012 07:45

Hi everyone. I am now finally in the market to get some new DJ gear, while not new to the DJ scene, I never actually got a chance to DJ. I have been interested and wanting too for years but the furthest I got was a pair of HDJ-1000's which are still in the package. So I am wondering what Pioneer gear would be good for home, making mix tapes but also room to grow as far as skills are. I am not that much into software so I will be using MP3s. I am into deep, soulful and tech house with some classics too. Thanks. I also would love to add the new RMX-1000 to the setup too.

Comments

User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Noor > Ultimately, you've got to consider your budget. There are some great options available too you, its just a matter of seeing what fits in to your financial flexibility.

I'd take a look at the CDJ / DJM 350 or the controllers. If you can go a little further, perhaps consider the CDJ / DJM 850.

July 08, 2012 07:10
User photo
Noor Daniel

Sounds great, thanks for the tip!

July 11, 2012 13:07
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

You are welcome! Most importantly, test drive all gear as much as you can before you buy - this will give you a good idea of what 'feels' right.

July 18, 2012 03:14
User photo
DJ-Ric

noor i have had my 350 setup for a year now and i love them, ok i am now saving towards aset of 2000's and a 900 nexus, but until then i will not be getting rid of these, i love them, and they will do everything you described, the DJM-350 with its built in record fuction is a brilliant feature, and using track marking, so when you write to cd, rather than having one track on the cd that is an hour long, you have 10 tracks that are 6 mins each(for example) but the songs all mix together with no gaps, it truely is an amazing feature, and to be honest one i will miss when i get my 900, but maybe by then pioneer will have a club mixer with a record funtion (fingers crossed) or if not i might just keep the 350 mixer and just sell the cdj's. also i know you said you wont be using software, but at least you know you have that option because the CDJ-350's are fully midi mappable and can be used with a host of different dj software like VDJ and taktor

and if you get stuck using your gear you always have great guys like gavin and pulse here to help, and alot of other users always willing to help

July 30, 2012 12:38
User photo
Noor Daniel

Thanks for the ideas. I actually went to the local guitar center, and naturally and not suprising they had no CDJs or DJMs on display, only the Pioneer controllers. This area really does not have to much in way of DJ gear so I order them online. I am going to build up my new music collection in the meantime and save up. Perhaps Pioneer may release a CDJ 250 or something down the road.

July 30, 2012 14:25
User photo
James Bruce

Iv owned my mk3 cdj 1000's and djm800 3 months now and i thoroughly relishing their capabilities. I do miss the 1210's but its a modern age we live in. I do have respect tho for the Traktor s4 controller and those who have mastered them (providing said person can mix vinyl too of course) The sync button does allow novices to bypass what takes months to  learn on 1210's as the software perfectly matches the bpm. They do represent good value for money tho as second hand ones can be picked up for a shade under £500 and it eradicates the need for burning cd,s. Personally tho i love the craftsmanship in the platter on the cdj1000, you can feel the quality of the deck under your fingers i also dont mind burning the cd's as it helps me feel more connected to the whole process of DJing and putting together a set. Although CD bags and CD's incur cost vs the S4. Im  interested to know if there are any free downloadable programmes anyone can recommend for recording a live set...many thanks in anticipation. IN DJ's WE TRUST!

November 25, 2012 16:34
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@James > Audacity is a free, downloadable program you can use to record your sets.

November 26, 2012 09:46