Forums/Pioneer Gear/CDJ-2000

Answered

bpm drifting while in loops

Tony Higgins
asked this on July 13, 2012 09:33

I have noticed post the last CDJ200 update, that when I have two tracks beat matched, if I put one player into a 4 beat loop, it drifts and does not beat matched quite quickly, I also turned off quantise on the CDJ2000 menu, could this of done it.

Any other info I can give/anyone else seen this problem??

Thanks

Tony

Comments

User photo
Fuse Promote

Have you analyzed your music in Rekordbox?

Did you adjust the beat grid on your tracks in Rekordbox?

Quantize should be turned ON.

Test again with the above suggestions implemented and see if that helps.

July 13, 2012 12:33
User photo
Tony Higgins

Yes analyzed in RB, not sure if I adjusted beat grids, varies per track, I will turn Quantize back on, it was off to play like in the Jame Z video gettting a scratch tune to switch to another channel.

July 13, 2012 12:56
User photo
Fuse Promote

In order for loops to stay properly aligned, you need to use the Quantize feature and the beat grids must be properly adjusted in Rekordbox before playing.

Take a look at the first part of this video.  I go through the process of loading a new track into Rekordbox collection, and then adjust the beat grid manually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILj8ThT9cxk&feature=youtu.be

July 14, 2012 00:30
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Fuse > Thanks for the video!

@Tony > Yes, loops will definitely be more accurate when you use Quantize.

July 18, 2012 06:27
User photo
Fuse Promote

I just realized that I posted the wrong video link.

This is the link I meant to post above, which shows how to adjust the beat grids in Rekordbox.

http://youtu.be/mhq7TWNsqYc

July 18, 2012 06:31
User photo
Neil Smyrl

Hi Fuse,

Could you have a look at this track for me, been having trouble setting the grids and found your video really helpful, fancy showing me what to do with this PLEASE? it was downloaded from beatport, sounds like a vinyl rip.  Rekordbox set the BPM in normal mode at 117.01 but I found 118 worked better but still can't get it perfect, I am still learning how to get the grids perfect.

I attached the track for you, any help would be much appreciated.

September 12, 2012 09:21
User photo
Fuse Promote

Downloading now.  Will see what I can do.

September 12, 2012 09:37
User photo
Neil Smyrl

Thank's fuse and for taking the time! 

September 12, 2012 09:48
User photo
Fuse Promote

This track has either live drums, or it was recorded from a very questionable source....  because the BPM is fluctuating all over the place.

I am running this track through Ableton Live right now, attempting to warp it.... and it's a bitch.  I'm going to need to move almost every single beat to get this aligned properly.  I will post the edited file when I'm done.

September 12, 2012 09:48
User photo
Neil Smyrl

Thank's I have been trying to sort it through Rekordbox but I was finding the same every beat was out, I am new to all this beatgrid stuff so learning as I go along.

Let me know how I will import the new file.

September 12, 2012 09:51
User photo
Fuse Promote

Good lord, this is worse than I thought.  It's not going to be very easy to fix.   I think this must be a live drum recording.  In order to fox it, I would have to put a warp marker on every single beat in Ableton Live, and then render it to a stable BPM.  That would take a really long time... far more than I can spend working on it, unfortunately.

September 12, 2012 10:14
User photo
Neil Smyrl

I have got it as close as I can, it is a track I want to use to close on a promo so as long as the start is tight it should stay in time, I used the adjust from current position and set 3 points throughout the track to try and keep it as tight as possible, thank's for looking at it anyway and maybe someone elso or the Pioneer team will give me some more advice, to be honest this is the only track I have that this has happened with but would be good to know if it happens again in the future.

September 12, 2012 11:02
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Fuse / Neil > Have you tried analysing the track in rekordbox using the Dynamic setting (which is more suitable for fluctuating BPMs / live recordings).

September 13, 2012 09:48
User photo
Neil Smyrl

Hi Gavin, yeah I have but not that often to be honest, this track is a vinyl rip I have got it good on normal mode but still isn't tight enough for me to use, wanted to put it in a promo I was doing to close it but played about with it today and it still doesn't sound great and is all over the place.  I would appreciate it Gavin if you downloaded the track and see what method you thought was best, I set the BPM 118 in normal mode and set 3 other markers (adjust from here only) but nearly every beat is out, needing constant adjustment on the platter. Thank's for getting back.

Regards

Neil

September 13, 2012 11:04
User photo
Fuse Promote

@ Neil    When you say the track is a vinyl rip, was it a rip that you recorded yourself?  Do you have the vinyl available?

A few years ago, I spent some time recording a bunch of my vinyl to digital format because I decided to shift away from turntables.  Something which I very quickly noticed was that even though I woud always set my Technics pitch control reset button, for some reason I found that the records I ripped were getting recorded with unstable tempo.  I confirmed this by running the tracks through Ableton Live and found that the warp markers had to be placed very frequently and adjusted all over the place.   Far more adjustments needed than with digital download tracks.

What I discovered from doing a bit of research was that if you are ripping vinyl, it is important to switch your turntable's slip mats for the rubber mats that came with the deck.  The rubber mats give a much more stable base for the vinyl, and when I used them my recording results were much better.

I was always confused as to why this would make a difference, since I never had problems mixing vinyl tracks on my decks...  but when recording I got much better results with the rubber mats.

Perhaps you could try to rip the track again using the rubber mat?   Just a thought.

September 14, 2012 04:22
User photo
Neil Smyrl

Hi Fuse, I bought the track from Beatport a while back mp3, I have never experienced a track being this awkward to set up.  I usually only use Rekordbox to set the tracks, it's been a bit of a learning curve never used programmes like Rekordbox in the past just vinyl or cd so never had this issue...I set the tracks as best I could but it wouldn't be tight enough to use live which is a shame cause I would like to play it.

Thank's again for getting back to me.

Regards

Neil

September 15, 2012 09:02
User photo
Fuse Promote

I have been working with Ableton Live for many, many years....  and consider myself an expert at warping all sorts of tracks.

Rarely have I encountered a track with the kind of tempo fluctuations that this one you posted had.  The only thing I can think of is that the drums were live drums.  If I wanted to get this track to beatmatch well enough to mix, I would need to place a warp marker on every single beat.  That's how bad this track is.  I guess in theory it's possible to fix it, but I just don't have the time or patience to do it myself.  My guess is it would take about an hour of constant work to get the job done.

September 16, 2012 12:39