Forums/Pioneer Gear/CDJ-850

[CLOSED] CDJ-850 and TRAKTOR certification

J.J. Dekker
posted this on August 18, 2012 03:11

Hi, i've got a DJM850 and 2 CDJ-850's HID works perfectly in VirtualDJ, but is not supported in TRAKTOR for the 850. NI tells me they will only add the driver if PIONEER puts the unit up for certification. Can this be done Please? Time code and midi template REALLY.suck once you've had the full HID experience like provided by VirtualDJ. Please advise?

Comments

User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

Unfortunately its not as simple as saying 'we are now submitting this player to be Traktor certified'. What would make the Traktor crowd happy would make everyone else (Serato / VDJ etc) sad.

August 22, 2012 01:17
User photo
J.J. Dekker

Ok, but the other models are certified, what's witholding Pioneer to do the same with the 850? product is expensive enough to carry a TRAKTOR certified license fee..

Just makes no sense, fully HID capable, working perfectly in VDJ & Serato, so no technical witholding, can someone from Pioneer request this from thier product group?

August 23, 2012 07:30
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@JJ Dekker > "Product is expensive enough" - this is assuming you know the costs associated with bringing the unit to market which I'm guessing you don't. To carry certification from Traktor means for each unit sold they would have to be paid which, in turn, means a higher cost for the end user.

The decision is more up to Native then it is to Pioneer.

August 23, 2012 23:58
User photo
J.J. Dekker

I fully agree with that, but Native is bouncing the ball back :( the 850 is definately not a low end product, Pioneer has cheaper products being Traktor endorsed/bundled/certified.

There are basically 2 things that make the 850 less than perfect:

- HID midi implementation for TRAKTOR, Atomix did their job, works perfectly in VirtualDJ, but NI won't play ball on the 850, they did the 900 and 2000 though, so they can do it, but for some reason they haven't yet, Pioneer should lobby for that. their response is that they only support "certified products" which then puts the action back to Pioneer to consider certification or make a blanket statement that the CDJ850 will not be supported by TRAKTOR (providing a plain midi mapping template is not really considered as supporting the product)

- The 2nd point is not as much a marketing issue, but more a technical one. Whatever the host (VDJ, traktor) when connecting 2 CDJ850's as aggregated ASIO device, via their USB cables, one of the 2 units RANDOMLY stops playing when loading tracks for the other unit in the host (TRAKTOR/VDJ) touching the bmp slider or 2x play gets it back playing. but this is a BUG, which has been reported in several fashions here in the 850 subforum, also on NI support forum and VDJ support forum. For me this is not a real issue ATM as i play with a DJM850 in the middle for now, using that as ASIO device,  but when wanting to play with a controller only (i.e. NI X1) this becomes a problem as it can't be used in a live enviroment. Ofcourse i tried latency & buffer settings but that doesn't make a difference.

September 04, 2012 08:14
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

What cheaper products?  The DDJ-T1?  That's a controller, a different thing altogether.

The ball is in NI's court on implementation - as you say yourself, it works just fine with other software so clearly it's not on Pioneer's end.  NI's prerogative is to sell NI hardware.

The ASIO problem doesn't affect all users.

September 04, 2012 11:40
User photo
J.J. Dekker

Ok, let's change the angle of the discussion, rather than a "defensive" approach is there anyone on this forum close enough to the Pioneer product group or the Pioneer alliance marketing to influence HID support for the 850 on TRAKTOR? or do we only have professionals and enthousiasts here not in any way affiliated with pioneer? As if that's the case, i'm wasting your and my time. I've raised a support ticket with Pioneer, but no answer.

September 07, 2012 20:17
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@JJ Dekker > We're not being defensive, we're laying the cards straight out on the table. It has been asked of Traktor for greater support, but they have their own set of rules about what they will and will not certify. We (Pioneer) have asked. The ball is entirely in Native Instruments court.

September 12, 2012 05:17
User photo
J.J. Dekker

Ok, so the ball is really in NI's court sort of speak, there are no requirements that Pioneer did not adhere too, prevented this from being implemented.

That's good to know, Then we can go back to the NI forum and see how we can make this happen.

ThnX for the insight.

September 12, 2012 07:05
User photo
J.J. Dekker

Problem solved! (at least for me) > upgraded to 2 CDJ 900 + DJM 900 NEXUS :)

September 15, 2012 06:43
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

Congrats on your purchase!

September 15, 2012 06:44
User photo
J.J. Dekker

ohw yesssss, first of all the 900's are a different league, flawless switching between LINK, USB, HID. and the ASIO driver works.

HID on TRAKTOR works like a charm. 4 decks now NI X1 on DECK1/2 and 900's on 3/4 and if Traktor would hang LINK > USB and party one....

simple genius. The 900 NEXUS just had to come with it, as the DJM 850 (in silver) just lacks the cosmentics.

and also the ribbon controller and the Pro DJ connect + spdif just better matches with the CDJ 900's

I'm happy now. BTW the DJM 900 effects are A LOT tighter than the DJM 850, i.e the 850 sidechain always is just behind the kick, not really uplifiting. But the ribbon on the 900 is always spot on.... Happy Chappy.

September 15, 2012 07:42
User photo
Brandon Orr

850 HID support coming in Traktor 2.6!!!

October 24, 2012 14:35
User photo
Raph Henry

So the 2.6 update did not include HID support for 350 / 850 although NI said it would..

I mailed their tech support several times since then, what came out is that their policy is they only include support for devices that carry a "Traktor Ready" certification. They also told me that even if "manufacturers usually applies for a certification before a product is being released", a retro active certfication is still possible, but Pioneer has to ask NI for it (which I suppose means that it doesn't come for free).
I assume there's a good reason why Pioneer didn't applied for the certification with the 350 / 850 although they did with the 900 / 2000, but really I can't get it.

Also, what about the CDJ 400 ? Was it labeled "Traktor Ready" when released ?

It's so dumb from NI to keep updating support for outdated players that barely a few still use instead of adding support for most recent players.

February 20, 2013 04:23
User photo
Gavintech

Someone is lying or wrong (lying on accident) but NI has made it more than clear that the ball is most definitely in Pioneer's court. They have made it clear to me and many other people that they require Pioneer to make an official request before they will implement this feature.

I would own 850's today if this feature existed but as long as I am using timecode there is no reason to upgrade from my trusty old CDJ800 MK2's.

March 12, 2013 12:25
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

@Gavintech > Unfortunately, its not as simple as the picture that has been painted to you - sorry.

March 21, 2013 10:24
Topic is closed for comments