Forums/Pioneer Gear/CDJ-2000

CDJ2000 NXS Discussion,

Pionix
posted this on September 05, 2012 20:44

Ok lets hear ya!!

who is getting them and what are your thoughts and questions??

lets get the ball rolling!!

Comments

User photo
Dream Treez

@BriChi, I think you should sell your cdjs for more!! At the end of the day your cdjs are unique. Have different led lights etc.

Take care

September 07, 2012 07:48
User photo
Fuse Promote

I was thinking about $1200 was right.  I got a super-good deal on mine 3 years ago, so only paid a little bit more than that, too.

September 07, 2012 08:10
User photo
Dj Daywalker

I dont get why some people spend thousands of dollars on cdjs just to use them with noob software

September 07, 2012 08:13
User photo
Sammy

Why in the holy world would you sell the CDJ-2000.... The nexus is like CDJ-1000 -> CDJ-1000MK2 not alot of change just some dip**** nobody cares about (I'm about to bring a WIFI jammer into the clubs these days). The CDJ-1000MK3 invented mp3 at all , something usefull.

September 07, 2012 08:17
User photo
BriChi
Silver

for one, I love the moving wavefors, I havent used serato in years, all Rekorbox and the one thing I like was the waveform, I just sold my 2000's 3 years later for pretty much what I bought them for so thats a wash and will pay of the 2000nexus pair. you can bring a wifi jammer all you want, I wont be playing tracks wirelessly, LOL... just using the wireless technology to use my iPad for the screen to view, search, load, etc....  Plus, I just like new toys, 3 years with the same cd players, I want something new and shiny to replace them with :)

September 07, 2012 08:23
User photo
Fuse Promote

@ Sammy   -    LOL.....   Why don't you get back under the bridge?  ; )

Just kidding...    : P

I will get the new players because I like having the latest stuff, and I think there are some cool features being added.  Plus, it sounds like I can sell my old players for nearly what I paid for them and lessen the expense of the new kit.  Seems like a good move to me.

September 07, 2012 08:36
User photo
Dj Daywalker

ok why is everyone going crazy for the zoomed in waveforms? they are useless?

September 07, 2012 08:38
User photo
Benjamin Castro
Amen djdaywalker if you want to play with software get you any of the ddj models IMO
September 07, 2012 08:39
User photo
BriChi
Silver

they are not useless, just because you think they are doesnt mean no one else finds a benefit from them. I like seeing the exact spot a beat will hit if i am not 100% familiar with a new track I may have grabbed, thats what I miss.

plus, why do people care what other people spend their money on, If I didnt have it, I wouldnt upgrade. I beat on my 2000's for 3 years, 2-3 times a weekend, it's time to update and have a fresh start for the amount that I use it. Again, why would anyone care no matter how useless they think the upgrade is, I like the start loop feature thingy, auto hot start load, waveform, slip mode, bigger screen (from what I can see), and others, if I used them as a door stop you guys really shouldnt care, LOL

AND, now that theres a sync button, I can finally mix :)  j/k, thats the one feature this deck could have done without

and I agree djdaywalker, people that buy these decks just to control serato or traktor I think is pointless, again, just my opinion of course 

September 07, 2012 08:58
User photo
Sammy

@brichi , I think people who can afford this player won't need the sync (Exception of David Guetta ofcourse).

(Yes i posted this before..)

September 07, 2012 09:25
User photo
michel franck

pendant combien de temps on pourra encore acheter des CDJ 2000 avant que la NEXUS la remplace ? jusqu'a rupture des stock ? est à quel prix ?

September 07, 2012 09:26
User photo
Foster
Pioneer DJ

I apologize as some of these have been already been answered by @Gavin & @Pulse. I don't feel like taking them out now. ;)

@cdjbasile > Nothing is official regarding future CDJ-2000 firmware updates and capabilities. All updates will be posted and announced HERE. You're welcomed to make suggestions and we will pass them along to the engineers, but everything depends on the current CDJ-2000's capabilities.

@Benno Revelli > Yes, there will be product overview videos coming in due time.

@Fuse Promote > The CDJ-2000nexus will be available in the US later this month.

@Jody Thain > The "They said it couldn't be done" was referring to the CDJ-2000 not capable of producing the Zoomed Wave Display.

@Jack EDM > The CDJ-2000nexus will be support with all current Pioneer DJ products.

@cdjbasile > Same size as current CDJ-2000. Sorry, no type of product rumors are not allowed.

@BriChi > 'Load Previous Track' is great for searching for your next track, loading it, previewing, possibly deciding to look for something better, loading that track, previewing it, but realizing the previous track was a better fit/vibe/feel/match. Load Previous Track displays the last 5 tracks that were played. So you have room to breathe if you search for a few. PS - Thanks for the message. ;) lol

@EDU > Yes you can choose which deck to temporarily send tracks to. There are 2 methods of using the CDJ-2000nexus with Wireless devices. One method does not require a wireless router and is via hard-wired, the other method includes a wireless router.

@RyanTV > Please read below regarding the 'SYNC' button. Same finish I believe. There are 2 methods of using the CDJ-2000nexus with Wireless devices. One method does not require a wireless router and is via hard-wired, the other method includes a wireless router. Compatible file formats include MP3, AAC, WAV, AIFF.

@Sigius > 'Sync' does not make a DJ good. A lot of other factors on top of their beat matching skill in my opinion. ;)

@dtm > Oh, just "a pair of CDJ's" as good will? Sure, I'll pass along an old attic pair of CDJ-100's that don't work. lol ;)

@DJ SPiRiTMooN > Hardware limitations.

@Dream Treez > Yes, all current Pioneer DJ products will be compatible with the CDJ-2000nexus.

@Fuse Promote > Same size, so yes. :) Key feature will use standard Sharps/Flats only to my knowledge.

@Louie V > The CDJ-2000nexus supports MIDI-compatible DJ software via a USB connection. The software of choice may require an update for the mapping file.

@Sammy > The CDJ-2000nexus has far more upgrades and new features over the CDJ-2000 when comparing the change from the CDJ-1000 - CDJ-1000MK2.

For anyone who disagrees with the 'SYNC', I would like to share some professional opinions as well as my own:

Gareth Emery - "Seeing as we are on the subject, here are my thoughts on the infamous 'SYNC' button on the new Pioneer CDJ.

FIRSTLY: laptop DJs have had this feature for years. So if you have a problem with 'SYNC' you should probably stop seeing anyone who plays from a laptop, and I guarantee a few of your favourite DJs will fit this group (not me though).

SECONDLY: The actual art of beat mixing (ie: getting tracks in time) hasn't exactly been difficult difficult since CDs took over from vinyl anyway. I used to play entirely from vinyl, and I'm not going to bull**** you - keeping the music in time was more difficult back then than it was after I switched to CDs in 2005.

HOWEVER, this did not mean DJing itself got easier... in fact actual, the opposite was true, because you needed to up your game in other ways. More crowd interaction, edits, fx, tricks etc. In the vinyl days all you really cared about was not letting the music get out of time, nothing else really mattered. But now we rightly expect a lot more from our DJs. It's as challenging, demanding, and difficult to learn as it ever was, just in different ways.

Until they invent a button that allows you to read a crowd, give a great stage performance, program a perfect set, or select ******* great music, I am pretty sure the art of DJing is going to live on. Gaz"

Greg Downey - "Everyone seems to be shouting about the sync button on new 2000s lol, its not written in stone that you have to use it lol! And even if you do , who cares, beat matching is a given, it's everything else as a Dj that counts."

Overall, beat matching is still capable on the CDJ-2000nexus the same way it has been on the flagship CDJ line since the introduction of the CDJ. Of course there has been progression and improvements over the years, which eventually resulted in rekordbox and the CDJ-2000 providing BPM analyzed tracks, a 0.1 BPM readout, and accurate 0.02% tempo adjustments. Thus, any DJ can refer to the BPM readout and increase or decrease the tempo until both decks BPM readout match, which is mostly in time or extremely close. Is there really much difference between reading the BPM and sliding the fader until the numbers match, or pressing a button to basically do both things at once? Of course I do not mean all DJ's just read the BPM's and move the tempo fader, but you must admit the option is there for those who use that method.

It is completely up to a DJ whether to use the Sync or not, and how the DJ will utilize that additional feature and time to incorporate and create something new and unique in their set. There are positive ways to use the feature, and there are negative ways to use the feature. So DJ's: Please choose/use responsibly.

September 07, 2012 09:28
User photo
Dream Treez

@Foster, thank you. For me, this is the answer I wanted to hear.

September 07, 2012 09:52
User photo
BriChi
Silver

@brichi , I think people who can afford this player won't need the sync (Exception of David Guetta ofcourse).

(Yes i posted this before..)

I agree 100%!  

September 07, 2012 10:12
User photo
DJ NVASION
One of the major let downs for me regarding the cdj 2000 nexus is that the waveforms and quantizing feature is still heavily relied on rekord box in this stage of the game. I always felt mixing with a laptop was a primitive way of djing and the only welcomed option till dj equipment where able to match up with the digital world, which it has been for some time now. So I think it's a let down that the new cdj 2000 nexus does not allow to quantize and use waveforms when not using a laptop since the cdj 2000 nexus in a sense are computers in itself. The rmx 1000 allowed quantizing with out any help so I can't see why future equipment cannot follow suite. Hopefully this will change soon.
September 07, 2012 18:43
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

You don't ... you could be 100% computer-free and use the waveforms and quantization.  You can do it on your smartphone or tablet.

September 07, 2012 18:44
User photo
DJ NVASION
Cdjs are more than capable of utilizing its software without the need of an external source to use waveforms and quantizing. I welcome the idea and think that it's great to be able to use a tablet, smartphone or laptop to get waveforms and quantizing but also think that using the cdj 2000 nexus alone should also allow djs to use these functions with out any external source needed. Such as the rmx 1000 not needing an external source to quantize.
September 07, 2012 19:39
User photo
michel franck

je pense qu'il devrait conservé au catalogue le cdj 2000 , alors il y aurait deux modéles au choix ( cdj 2000 + cdj 2000 nexus )

September 07, 2012 19:45
User photo
X-treme

So it's not possible to use the waveforms and quantize if you just prepare your usb stick in rekordbox and put it in? You need to use your iphone?? That would be sad... Because when you come at your gig and eventually the cdj2000 nexus appears to be there, i highly doubt that the most sound engingeers configure it up with wifi router etc...  
Nowadays it's even not unusual to see there are cdj-2000's and i have to put in my own link cable because the engineer's didn't now about it :/ 

September 07, 2012 21:39
User photo
Foster
Pioneer DJ

@DJ NVASION > That would be an expensive upgrade to the hardware which wouldn't be used as much as one may think, or by anyone who uses rekordbox to begin with. There is more to using rekordbox than just receiving prepared waveforms and quantization; DJ's are able to reset grid data, edit track information, add track keys, comments, and artwork information, create playlists, change genre and color fields, edit search and browse methods, and of course add Hot Cues, Hot Loops, and Memory points. DJ's who want to utilize any of these features already use rekordbox, which provides the most accurate quantization as it is editable within the software. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that rekordbox is a much more affordable solution to consumers, instead of making costly hardware upgrades for features that are capable for free and are mobile friendly.

@X-treme > Yes, it is possible. As long as your tracks are analyzed and prepared using rekordbox, and the rb data is exported with your tracks to either an SD card, USB device, or stored within the rekordbox app for mobile devices, you will have quantized capabilities and prepared waveforms when playing these tracks on the CDJ-2000nexus.

September 07, 2012 22:19
User photo
DJ NVASION
@Foster I understand that rekordbox can be used for more than quantizing and adding waveforms to a track. It seems like a better solution to allow djs to have the option to use rekordbox like you mentioned above and still have the option to just put in a cd or a usb and have waveforms and quantizing without external sources needed. I really think 2000$ + for one cdj is more than enough money to have this option. Again the rmx 1000 allowed this, maybe the next cdj then. I made a thread a couple days ago wondering if the cdj 2000 nexus allowed to jump at any point of a track while the track is still playing and will be quantized so it stays in beat. Gavin was almost certain it was possible but wasn't 100% sure are you able to confirm this?
September 07, 2012 23:05
User photo
TheOne

@ DJ NVASION    That feature would be awesome!!

I hope you also could set how Manny bars it should jump ahead..

September 07, 2012 23:38
User photo
TheOne

Question: will the current decksaver fit on the Nexus ?

September 07, 2012 23:44
User photo
Mark90
Silver

I don't know for sure, but I think the plastic cover will.  The thin plastic sheet that sits on the surface of the player won't though due to new buttons etc.

September 08, 2012 01:13
User photo
Steven V
I don't understand why would anyone want to use the cdj2000 nexus as a controller for traktor and other software.The cdj nexus is beautiful everything right there,nice layout kool waveform. What pionner should have done is put a block on dj software,and only you it for just rekordbox only on.Cause there no need for laptop. Like pulse said before is laptop free.Looking at this thread all you see is sync,sync,sync. What's the big deal I think sync is great on this player for so many reason. Some dj like to drink and sometime there mix is slight off. Lol now if you running 4 or 3 decks that will come in handy cause everything has to be done on a timely matter when mixing or if you just want to be creative on a mix.And beside do you really think people on the dance floor really care if you use sync or not like they have there ears on the speaker saying ( oh he use sync button lets leave the club ) lol.Just want to say great job on the cdj2000 nexus pioneer team. This unit is on the money! Great work guys.
September 08, 2012 02:45
User photo
tasos

The nexus players are more powerfull (cpu) than the regular 2000's right? I saw the demo videos and the switch between 8-4-2-1 or even 1/2 , 1/4 loop at the touch panel are much faster without lags.

September 08, 2012 02:57
User photo
Tracebuzta

It seems to me that the nexus is a tiny bit bigger (deeper) than the 2000, can anyone confirm? 

September 08, 2012 03:15
User photo
BriChi
Silver

in this thread: http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/21990308-flight-cases

foster states: 

Yes, they are the same size player. If anyone wants to be ridiculously technical, the CDJ-2000nexus is 0.1mm higher.

September 08, 2012 03:25
User photo
TheOne

I see that the knobs to select Touch brake and release start are placed a bit higher... therefore it is possible that the existing decksaver won't fit the nexus

September 08, 2012 03:35
User photo
DubLN

""""Gareth Emery - "Seeing as we are on the subject, here are my thoughts on the infamous 'SYNC' button on the new Pioneer CDJ.

FIRSTLY: laptop DJs have had this feature for years. So if you have a problem with 'SYNC' you should probably stop seeing anyone who plays from a laptop, and I guarantee a few of your favourite DJs will fit this group (not me though)."""

Hmmm, dont know what this guy is talking about. Myself along with 90% of the DJs i know use Serato and there IS NO sync!

Sync button is WHACK!

I won't be buying just out of principle.

and for the other clowns who say beat matching is soooo easy. - UR full of SHT, i i'm pretty sure you couldn't ride a mix

by your lame ears to save your life.

September 08, 2012 07:33
User photo
MouseAT

Here's a few questions that haven't been answered yet in any of the information released so far:

1) With the XDJ-Aero, we had an option of connecting a USB drive to the player, but using an iPhone/iPad/computer (maybe) to navigate the contents of the drive connected to the XDJ, and load tracks from the connected drive to the player. Do the new CDJ 2000 Nexus players have the option of using Rekordbox connected devices to navigate the contents of another drive plugged into a CDJ? Basically I'd prefer to use something like an iPad or iPhone for easier navigation than the built in interface on the CDJs (which I find a bit clunky) whilst still loading the tracks off a hard-wired drive as I don't entirely trust wireless to be reliable. If using an iPhone or iPad, does it have to be connected via wifi to do this, or can I navigate and load tracks from other devices when the phone or tablet is plugged in via USB?

2) I'm not bothered about the zoomed waveforms - a simple overview of the entire track is more than adequate for my needs. I liked the overview that the CDJ 2000 gave of what is loaded in the player, and would consider the loss of that information at a glance to be a significant regression if there's no way to easily get it back. I've read the CDJ 2000 Nexus manual, and I know that pressing the info button will give me something similar to what I'm looking for. However, I wouldn't want to have to hit info each time I load a track. Is there a way to show the track summary rather than the zoomed waveform by default whenever I load a track on the 2000 Nexus?

September 08, 2012 07:48
User photo
MouseAT

Oh, I also forgot to ask - does the search still work the same way as it did on the old CDJ 2000?

One thing I love about most software is the fact that I can type in multiple sub-strings separated by whitespace and it'll find anything that matches all the strings. For example, if I'm looking for "Cigarettes and Alcohol" by "Oasis", I can literally type "Cigarettes Oasis" and it'll find exactly what I'm looking for. With the original CDJ 2000, I didn't have that option - I'd have to search for "Oasis" or "Cigarettes" and then dig through the results, which can be a pain sometimes. Has that changed?

September 08, 2012 07:53
User photo
Sigius

In next generation of nexus should be added following features:
Youtube Player - Connect your nexus to local wifi network and play your or you're listeners favorite tracks directly from youtube =D
Sync Remixer - Select your favourite DJ from a list and your tracks will be mixed automatically as your Favorited DJ mix them. No need to ma mess with mixing. You will have more time to hang up girls, drink beer or dance on the table!!! (With this new feature mixer not needed)

Sorry, but this new nexus looks like a toys for a rich boys.
And what more can you expect from pioneer... CDJ-2000 replaced CDJ-1000 almost everywhere. Main point of CDJ-2000 success was record box and ability to play form media like USB or SD card. No mess with CD.

Market is currently full filled. Now they need to release new toys to increase selling. These features like WiFI, Sync, Ipad-Iphone is not worth any penny... 

September 08, 2012 08:13
User photo
EpikureeR

"In next generation of nexus should be added following features:
Youtube Player - Connect your nexus to local wifi network and play your or you're listeners favorite tracks directly from youtube =D
Sync Remixer - Select your favourite DJ from a list and your tracks will be mixed automatically as your Favorited DJ mix them. No need to ma mess with mixing. You will have more time to hang up girls, drink beer or dance on the table!!! (With this new feature mixer not needed)"

This player was probably a request from Paris Hilton ^_^

September 08, 2012 08:57
User photo
Sammy

and for the other clowns who say beat matching is soooo easy. - UR full of SHT, i i'm pretty sure you couldn't ride a mix 

Don't even get me to comment on that one.

The sync is a verry nice feature to use like Laidback Luke did in the promo video , it frees up time for other things on your playground E.G EFX , RMX and ofcourse your DJM.

All i think is that the sync future on the player itself should ONLY be available for the CDJ-2000 Line , people who can afford this hopefully won't need it for some regular mixing...

September 08, 2012 11:38
User photo
6Sixx

Yikes! Observing a few on-line sites, 'pre-order' for the new CDJ-2000 Nexus is $2399.99!

September 08, 2012 13:26
User photo
tasos

In Greece they cost 1599 euro.. Maybe because we have crysis... lol

September 08, 2012 18:55
User photo
Greg Carr

if you mix like Tiesto, fade in, fade out, using sync would be a joke. You would be getting paid for nothing.

if you mix like laidback luke,  sync is perfect, because its all about creativity and not beat matching. simples

September 09, 2012 01:41
User photo
michel

@DJ NVASION

I go with the needle search idea from: DJ NVASION

I think this will be very good for on the fly remixing!

September 09, 2012 01:53
User photo
BriChi
Silver

Yikes! Observing a few on-line sites, 'pre-order' for the new CDJ-2000 Nexus is $2399.99!

the couple i hit all say $1999

September 09, 2012 06:31
User photo
DJ NVASION

Yeah Im pretty much on the fence about the cdj 2000 nexus.  I think the feature of using a tablet and or smartphone to edit tracks and configure sets is a great idea.  But for me there are two features needed in my opinion to dish out 2000$ + for just one cdj 2000 nexus.  

1. Having on the fly quantized needle drop search option.  This feature would be great for djs who mix quick and would allow djs to remix a track on the fly.  (See my comment on page 1 of this thread.) 

2. Another feature needed is to allow djs to use cds, mp3 and usb that have not been in rekordbox and still have the quantized feature aswell as waveforms.  I cannot see why we would need to use rekordbox just to allow quantizing when the rmx 1000 a year ago allowed this without any external help.  As for the waveforms I think djs will welcome the idea of putting a cd, mp3, usb and having waveforms show up without having to go through rekordbox or using any external source.  Rekordbox is great especially allowing to edit and structure sets but quantizing and waveforms should be a stand alone option on the cdj 2000 nexus since they are essentially computers in itself and they already communicate with each other and of course to help justify the costly upgrade of 2000$+ for each cdj.     

Pioneer hopefully you will update the cdjs 2000 nexus to allow these two key features and you got a sale from me and I can say with certainty this will help other djs to justify the cost of this new cdj nexus and thank you guys for your patients and helping us djs who want more for there dollar.  

September 09, 2012 06:32
User photo
Arthur C

I will not be getting these anytime soon or later. I dont use any software besides Rekordbox, and I refuse having nearby any sync button at all. Just having that button there gives food to the trolls

September 09, 2012 06:38
User photo
Sammy

I will not be getting these anytime soon or later. I dont use any software besides Rekordbox, and I refuse having nearby any sync button at all. Just having that button there gives food to the trolls

Bringing a laptop to a gig because i don't have all tracks on my USB already gets me a bad name.

Not even talking about a sync button lol..

September 09, 2012 07:55
User photo
michel franck

je pense qu'il devrait supprimé la CDJ 900 et conservé la CDJ 2000 et la vendre au prix de la CDJ 900

et vous les DJ's vous en pensez quoi ?

et les dirigents de Pioneer vous en pensez quoi ?

September 09, 2012 08:06
User photo
Phil
Silver

@ DJ NVASION - point 1 sounds like a good idea.

point 2 is never going to happen. you have to go through rekordbox to get the really accurate beatgrids - there's no other way. the beat detection is pretty good on the RMX but far from perfect (and perfect is what you need for quantisation) it even needs nudge buttons for when it goes out of time. the best bpm detector will never be as good as a manually set beatgrid.

the whole point of these players is to use them with RB analysed files, just as the last ones were. If you don't like using rekordbox and still want to use cds then maybe these aren't for you.

September 09, 2012 08:06
User photo
TheOne

Wow nice!! I saw the Nexus in action in a Belgium club :)

September 09, 2012 08:11
User photo
BriChi
Silver

annnnnndddddd? how did everything look and seem? Or was it another dj with really expensive gear just controlling Serato/Traktor, LOL

@BriChi, I think you should sell your cdjs for more!! At the end of the day your cdjs are unique. Have different led lights etc.

Take care

I know right, It's just a good friend of mine who really wants them so the price is ok, plus now I dont have to go through the hassle of ebay, shipping, scams, etc....

September 09, 2012 08:19
User photo
Gavin
Pioneer DJ

Guys, remember the rules about discussing pricing and selling items...

September 09, 2012 08:22
User photo
BriChi
Silver

sorry :(

September 09, 2012 08:24
User photo
DJ NVASION

@PHIL I understand what you are saying in regards to my second point but look at traktor and serato they do not use rekordbox and they have waveforms and automatic beat grids that do a fine job.  I am not saying rekordbox's feature of allowing manual beat gridding is not the way to go I actually agree that its the best way to quantize.  Since quantizing really was a way to speed up and slow down the tempo of a track while effects still stayed in beat and also allowed effects to snap back to the beat of the track then a software within the cdj itself should be able to do what  traktor and serato have done with automatic waveforms and automatic beat grids that did not need any external source. 

Not saying that rekordbox is not the way to go but that there should be a happy medium with djs allowed to see waveforms with out the need of an external source and still have quantizing available without the need of an external source aswell but djs still have the option to manually beat grid.   Think of how effects worked before the quantzing idea on the djm 900 nexus.  Effects where accurate for the most part but at times fell short which needed manual tapping to lock the beat for better accuracy same kind of concept here.  Djs should get accurate waveforms and quantzing off the bat on such a expensive cdj but still will be allowed manual beat gridding with rekordbbox which you can edit and construct tracks if they want for the very best accuracy and functionality.    

September 09, 2012 09:38
User photo
Phil
Silver

but you have to manually adjust/tweak the grids in traktor to get them perfectly in time. the algorithm is now pretty good but in my experience it's not 100%, same with rekordbox, it needs a bit of manual adjustment which is saved with the file. with cds, you can't tweak the settings and save them so you run the risk of the bpm detection going haywire. a loop drifting out of time in a mix has far great consequences than an echo delay drifting!

i just don't think there's a realtime beat detection system out there that's 100% accurate like a manually set beatgrid which is why pioneer devised rekordbox.

i hear what you're saying but i just don't think it's technically possible. a good halfway house would have been pioneer allowing you to burn a 'rekordbox cd' which saved the beatgrid/waveform on the disc but that's not really what you're after i guess!

i'm pretty sure you can set up even the current cdj2000 to save waveforms to sd/usb from audio cds just like you could on the cdj1000 if that's any help?

September 09, 2012 10:06
User photo
Bren

Pioneer just  made every one a dj with the 'SYNC buttons. there will be more djs than dancers soon .then what will happen .?

September 09, 2012 12:01
User photo
DJNR

@Bren - There will be a massive uproar amongst club owners, dancers will start going on DJ killing sprees, and the world will explode.

If you're going to argue, be logical rather than stating a slippery slope.

September 09, 2012 12:21
User photo
DJccccc

fOLLOWING ON FROM Andrew Thornton POINT ...

1) With the XDJ-Aero, we had an option of connecting a USB drive to the player, but using an iPhone/iPad/computer (maybe) to navigate the contents of the drive connected to the XDJ, and load tracks from the connected drive to the player. Do the new CDJ 2000 Nexus players have the option of using Rekordbox connected devices to navigate the contents of another drive plugged into a CDJ? Basically I'd prefer to use something like an iPad or iPhone for easier navigation than the built in interface on the CDJs (which I find a bit clunky) whilst still loading the tracks off a hard-wired drive as I don't entirely trust wireless to be reliable. If using an iPhone or iPad, does it have to be connected via wifi to do this, or can I navigate and load tracks from other devices when the phone or tablet is plugged in via USB?

MY POINT ... Will the nexus 2000 operate in the same way as the Aero

IE You can load your Rekordbox HD say to the SD slot or other USB

Then plug in an Anderoid or Ipad ... and control whats on the Rekordbox HD with the Ipad - I mean have NO actual music on the Ipad, just use it as a control surface to use the USB to search, cue up and select songs on a bigger screen with a 100 % touch screen (not having to use the 6.1 inch CDJ2000nexus screen - just assign the track from the Ipad) - as described in the Jpeg ive screen shot from the aero manual.

Am I correct in thinking this is the correct proceedure, or will it only be data thats on the ipad / Anteroid devise ?

September 09, 2012 12:51
User photo
DJ NVASION

@PHIL I think you agree with me but just don't think it's possible so let me elaborate a little more.  Quantizing was a feature that officially started with the djm 900 nexus.  So before this we had features such as beat effects on mixers and waveforms on Traktor and serato aswell as auto beat gridding.  Every dj welcomed beat effects even though it wasn't 100% accurate which the tap button help this but even without the tap button many effects especially on the djm 800 was fine.  

Same with traktor and serato there was no rekordbox box yet we had accurate waveforms anyway and the beatgridding for the most part was accurate enough to work with.  The cdj 2000 nexus since it's a computer essentially and has software inside that allows certain functions and commands that allowing automatic beatgrids and automatic waveforms was essential for such an expensive cdj.  Now if anyone where to complain that its not 100% accurate all the time then they still have the option to manually edit and construct there track via rekordbox.  Just as beat effects worked most of the time on our djm mixers especially the djm 800 and we at times would use the tap button to have the effects more accurate.  

The same goes with the automatic quantizing it will be for the most part functional just like traktor and serato have been but still have the option to use rekordbox if they wanted to.

As far as waveforms they should not be a need to use rekordbox as traktor and serato have been using this and that is the reason why pioneer adopted it because djs like myself asked for it.  But it is a let down since a 2000$+ cdj needs to rely so much on a software such as rekordbox that it just doesn't justify the cost in my opinion.  

I understand that beat effects staying in beat vs an actual beatgrid is different but that is why I use traktor and serato as an example since they are softwares that have done a good job of this without the need of rekordbox but again it did help djs to get close to 100% accuracy with rekordbox and the cdj 2000 nexus has a software inside which allows certain function I can't see how such an expensive item can't allow this.  Foster said that it was good but it would cost more to do this but again traktor and serato's software itself is not expensive at all and the cdj 2000 nexus is 2000 plus so I don't think that is accurate.  

@BREN and NATHAN  I've been a dj for 16 years now started djing with belt drive turntables and a plain gemini mixer.  If I had a sync feature many of my friends who tried to dj would not have walked away so easily as they did because it took time to build skill just in beatmatching alone.  So in a sense you are both right, Bren is right even though his statement was a little excessive but I get what he is saying.  There are now going to be so many people picking up this equipment and syncing everything and becoming a dj because in my experience as long as you read the crowd the crowd could care less if you are manually beat matching or not.  

Now tell me was it logical for pioneer to add the sync button....YES for a company this may increase sales so I can't hate on Pio for adding this feature.  But I can see why so many are mad because it takes time to beatmatch and skill to beatmatch quickly.  I own a pair of cdjs now and I can beatmatch with no help what so ever yet another friend who use to play for fun who was struggling on turntables tried my cdjs and was really good at beat matching and I knew why because he would look at the bpm and just match that.  

Don't get mad at pioneer because there have been some form of syncing the past few years now.  Unless you yourself own turntables without any bpm screen and don't use a software that shows any bpm count or syncing I can't see how anyone can disagree with Pioneer adding this feature it was a a logical step for Pioneer.  

September 09, 2012 13:08
User photo
DJ NVASION

Sorry for the long comments should've broken it down didn't realise it till i posted it and I don't see a edit feature anymore my bad.  

September 09, 2012 13:15
User photo
DJNR

I keep seeing everybody say that there will be a ton of people syncing BECAUSE of the CDJ-2000Nexus, which I do not understand. The Nexus isn't the main contributing factor to the prevalence of sync, especially because the product isn't even for sale yet. The issue is the abundance of sync on lower level gear. I don't understand why there is such an uproar for it to be on a product that caters to professional DJs who likely already know how to beat match.

September 09, 2012 16:17
User photo
6Sixx

I think the 'auto-syncing' issue, and the rise of technology (those who see it problematic), has more to do with 'job security'. Many of us DJ's feel that we have a skill that few others possess. Not a rhetorical question__but why hire a skilled DJ, when you can buy the equipment yourself and magically match beats and play tunes without any background. Heck, before you know it, EVERYBODY will have an auto DJ kit available at all price ranges. With the push of a few buttons, ANYONE can play the role of a DJ. To be sure, beat-matching historically is a skill that fundamentally separates the DJ from the 'guy who play records or the dj in a box' sort of speak. I believe anti sync issues, has more to do with paranoia than anything else why some insist on being anti-sync etc. So then, if what I say is true, there is only one thing that we DJ's can do, and that is, UTILIZE the available technology in our field, i.e. 'sync' technology is RAISE our game and separate ourselves from he  DJ-IN-A-BOX guy__just say'n! 

DJ 6Sixx utilizing 'syn'c technology to raise the bar-atcha!

September 09, 2012 16:43
User photo
ThatGuyWill
End User

Not going to read everything that was posted after me.  But I think of this when I think of sync: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_4GPAUPWbM

Now where in the hell is the unsubsribe button?  I've gotten more friggin e-mails in the last 24 hours than I've gotten in the last 24 months! lol.

September 09, 2012 16:50
User photo
Thomas Robertshaw
End User

If you all ask me, Pioneer has done it once again. Im so excited to get my hands, and ears on a pair of these. Talk about evolution in DJ technology. What I love about Pioneer is the fact that they are futuristic with the times. Trust me when I say that these new players are a huge game changer. Talk about innovation, and taking it to the next level. As we can see this is why Pioneer is the best. They know whats up. Sure, there will always be that debate about master/beat sync. Remember though, if your a old school head like me its all wavy gravy friends. Its very important to know the basics!!! I started on turntables, but this will open up a brand new world into the mix. Keep the skills you know and cherish to heart, but open your mind, soul, and mixing skills to a new level that will be out of this world.. We are all here to progress  and grow in our skills. This next step in DJ technology will be so wild, and totally cool on many levels. 

Remember that when it comes down to it, Mix and enjoy, and always share your skills and knowledge with others. Seriously cant wait!!! Now I must save.. lol:) 

You guys ROCK!!!!!

Mad Love,

DJ Angular Bliss:)

September 09, 2012 20:29
User photo
DJNR

Good to see  positive comments for a change ^

September 09, 2012 20:42
User photo
Thomas Robertshaw
End User

DJNR - agreed:) Thank you friend:)

I think its important to embrace, and learn about new technology. Thats how we grow, and become better with the tools we use:) Its also important to bring the knowledge that we know being in the scene for many years and incorporate those skills with this new amazing technology. We are the musicians that love this. Lets learn and grow together with these new tools, and bringing in the old school flavor in a new wave. The new CDJ 2000's nxs is very very exciting:) Im so pumped about these players. 

Boy I really have to save:)

You all Rock, and I know that there will be really really cool discussions, I mean there already is:) about these new units once everyone gets there hands, and ears on it. Its a very exciting time:)

Cheers:)

September 09, 2012 20:57
User photo
L V G

" I'm not bothered about the zoomed waveforms - a simple overview of the entire track is more than adequate for my needs. I liked the overview that the CDJ 2000 gave of what is loaded in the player, and would consider the loss of that information at a glance to be a significant regression if there's no way to easily get it back. I've read the CDJ 2000 Nexus manual, and I know that pressing the info button will give me something similar to what I'm looking for. However, I wouldn't want to have to hit info each time I load a track. Is there a way to show the track summary rather than the zoomed waveform by default whenever I load a track on the 2000 Nexus? "

This !

I like to have my playing cover arts on screens ... Can we 'customize' our screens on the new 2k nexus ?

September 09, 2012 23:07
User photo
Fox Smith

My question is, if the new  nexus is fully compatible to the old 2k.

The quantized Hot Cues and Slip mode sounds very good to me, but if i play a track on the old 2k will the nexus get the beatgriddata from the old one so that the quantized Hot Cues ant the beat after scratching in Slip mode are still on the beat?

September 10, 2012 03:03
User photo
dtm

Just wanted to share a good one with you guys :)

September 11, 2012 01:36
User photo
dtm

@Thomas Robertshaw
If you all ask me, Pioneer has done it once again. Im so excited to get my hands, and ears on a pair of these. Talk about evolution in DJ technology. What I love about Pioneer is the fact that they are futuristic with the times. Trust me when I say that these new players are a huge game changer. Talk about innovation, and taking it to the next level.

Hey Thomas, you should really thank the user that gives the ideas to pioneer, without the users, pioneer would be nowhere. They take our ideas and make them reality and then sell us the product. That's their business.

True Story

September 11, 2012 02:53
User photo
dtm

users, not user :)

September 11, 2012 02:54
User photo
runningoutofspace

@6Sixx...

Pulse will weigh in sometime soon but I have a similar set-up (minus the X1s) and am looking forward to replacing my now Sold CDJ-2000's with the Nexus version.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, you have a lot of potential on hand and this new integration will make for a great set-up.  If Advanced HID will be a feature on day 1, later or at all you can use your Traktor but keep looking forward...you might not even need it!

September 11, 2012 04:35
User photo
6Sixx

@runningoutofspac. . .

Yes, I can see how the new Nexus CDJ will make my life easier. I'm mobile, so not having to connect my Macbook, X1, and worry about Traktor/Pioneer integration, etc will benefit me greatly. I can rock up to my GIG with 2 CDJ's, DB4, and utilize my Macbook/ and Traktor software as a stand-by source, just in case something on the CDJ's go array.(not that it will happen:-). . . It's just sad, that I may miss my Traktor set-up, as it has been VERY good to me, as a source introduction into  the 'new-age'  of DJing. It is the same feeling when I sold my 1200's a few years back:-( But as you stated, it's time to keep looking forward and welcoming the latest, greatest, technology for our industry!

I'm pumped, can't wait to save and get my new CDJ's!!!!

Yay Pioneer!

September 11, 2012 12:09
User photo
Carlton Bacot

The CDJ 2000 nexus is just one more tool for a DJ and Pioneer you are still # 1 for me PS All the DJ"S  mad at the sync just stop it.same thing 10 years  CDJ 1000 vs vinyl Just play with your hart and soul four your fans.

September 11, 2012 16:14
User photo
Didier Malenfant
Silver

@brichi haha.. I just sold my three 2000s too... can't wait for the new ones.

September 11, 2012 16:39
User photo
Mr Green

With the new Beat Sync feature, Pioneer are forcing the whole beat syncing issue .... everyone will end up having to use it or just not sound as tight as those that do .....

Now, if we're going to be forced down the beat sync road, why would we bother (or a club for that matter) to spend £3000 on a couple of CDJ2000nexus when we may as well go and spend £200 on traktor?

We got shafted with the DJM2000, the so called flagship mixer which has basically been dumped by pioneer, they keep bringing out a new range every few months, with new features that that won't include in the previous models (although i'm sure they could via firmware updates).

We get mugged off with software that is still buggy as hell (making it unusable for some).

UK pioneer official service centres are a waste of time, most arnt even interested in services pioneer stuff, let alone sourcing spare parts.

So tell me pioneer, why the hell should I ever buy another pioneer product ?

September 11, 2012 20:21
User photo
Didier Malenfant
Silver

@Urban if you think beatmatching is what makes you sound tight... you're doing it wrong :)

I can beat match flawlessly and I can still run rings around any of those kids with their Traktor sync who can't put a good set together and only know how to play bangers after bangers at 140bpm.

It doesn't matter what you play with, CDJs, Traktor, Virtual DJ, Vinyl, Ableton, whatever... what matter is the heart and soul of your set and how you put it together...

That's NOTHING to do with beat matching or technology...

September 12, 2012 04:21
User photo
Mr Green

Lol, @ Didier ..... you've totally missed the point of my entire post. But i've been DJing since 1991, I know what makes my mixes tight, skill.

September 12, 2012 05:26
User photo
DubLN

OK i just have to chime in here.

I'll say it straight away. I'm NOT a fan of the sync button and here's why:

Unlike what Didier has said a great DJ set DOES have alot to do with beat matching, as well as track selection

and programming. Beatmatching is an important skill (at least in most dance music anyway) that when done properly makes you a MUCH better DJ than if you wobbled all thru your set. . Many of us DJs have spent countless hours perfecting the skill of beat matching -And i dont mean

a couple years to get good enough to play out, but REALLY mastering the skill! Taking the time honored tradition of this

process and diminishing it to now mean absolutely NOTHING is not only a kick in the balls/vagina of all the seasoned DJs

out there but it also takes away from the whole process. Hours and hours in your bedroom, matching beats, playing with different tracks and how they interact with each other, learning how to get 3 records going and be able to step back and feel a sense of accomplishment, this is all GONE now. These processes are an integral part of the learning curve and are instrumental in shaping our DJing experience and subsequently the audiences experience. i equate it to going to a BMX demo and seeing a bunch of "expert" BMXers doing tricks on their bikes, but all the bikes are now equipped with training wheels. NOT quite as impressive is it. We are now ushering in a whole new generation of DJs that will have absolutely NO need to learn that skill, by skipping this step we're pandering to the guys like Deadmau5 and company, basically  producers who can't DJ to save their lives. It's undermining the entire artform and making everyone a superstar in their own mind. " hell my mixes are supertight and all my tracks are sick, of course they are, I picked them!" Track selection and programming are always up for debate, one person will love it, someone else will hate it. but beat matching is concrete, you either have spent the time and dedication to perfect it or you haven't - it has always separated the "men from the boys" so to speak.

All said, I'm not looking forward to the future generation of DJs at all, too bad Pioneer couldn't be more ideologically driven, I think it would have been great to have the nexxuss be like a ferrari, you dont know WTF your doin, your gonna crash!

ps: i watched the laidback luke video, would of been impressive if he was manually keeping everything in time. but now that i learn that it was all cheating i just laugh. utter rubbish. it's like doing an ollie on your skateboard with your feet glued on. WHACK.

September 12, 2012 06:49
User photo
Didier Malenfant
Silver

@DubLN Countless hours?? wow... I've learned to beat match perfectly in less than a couple of months.

Sync has been on laptops for years, it hasn't made any difference as to who stands out and who is crap.

This won't either.

September 12, 2012 07:05
User photo
DubLN

Didier, wow standing ovation. you must be awesome.

September 12, 2012 07:36
User photo
Didier Malenfant
Silver

@DubLN haha... lol

I'm actually very average but my point is, it's really not that hard... 

Someone elsewhere said it best, beat matching is not an art. Everyone can learn to do it and get to the same result.

Playing a good set, reading the crowd and taking people on a journey...that takes skills and talented people will all do it differently.

September 12, 2012 07:46
User photo
DubLN

i guess we can agree to disagree.

September 12, 2012 08:22
User photo
DubLN

PS: mixing IS an artform. anyone who claims otherwise is a...a..a....damn REPUBLICAN! LOL.

September 12, 2012 08:32
User photo
Didier Malenfant
Silver

"PS: mixing IS an artform"

That I totally agree with you on. Especially EQ mixing. But beat matching is not mixing.

That's why you can still see people with sync buttons (Traktor for example) make a mess of things and sound awful.

September 12, 2012 08:38
User photo
dtm

+1 on what Didier Malenfant said.

Mixing is done with the mixer, beatmatching etc is done with the source. Mixing is art, Playback is not an art

September 12, 2012 08:47
User photo
Sammy

And i'm still rocking my 1000Mk3's :(

September 12, 2012 08:47
User photo
Sammy

I think running four channels and not making it a mess is alot more complicated then just beatmatching , just my two cents.

September 12, 2012 08:48
User photo
runningoutofspace

The hate and discontent being thrown around here is amazing.  The Sync button arguments are a waste of text because no one actually hears how mad you are if you can't even spell the word right.  

Let's not try to heat this topic up any more with all that misguided anger when the truth is that no one will refuse these if they show up and they are there (in the booth).  Get 'em or look onward because you'll end up looking like all the cats and clubs that insisted, kept on demanding MK3s based on some negative "principles" but when these were announced, they should realize now that they are way behind...way behind.  

If you want to start a protest or stand on the sidelines and criticize all day, don't worry, you can turn around right now, never look at these and gaze in glory at those things you hold so true.  Don't expect anyone to tap you on the shoulder and let you know that the rest of the world is leaving you now.

Let it go.  

Pioneer aren't selling analogue turntables in their Pro DJ range so stop it.  No one with a CDJ is a strict analogue vinyl turntable purist.  Even if you hunt down vinyl most of your week like me, nothing is better than having your collections & selections ready for work with whatever they have.

If the club world does not embrace based on Sync well it will be wrong, but all this morale, ethics, politics is actually just as dangerous as bad religion.

This idea of what they are offering in the Nexus model is a great thing. The Sync function is just an option.  If you have to use it and rely upon it without having any fundamental skills...that's on you - have at it.  Be aware of what's available.  Take and adopt what you can afford and if you can, get 1, 2, 3 or 4 of what may become quite possibly the best available...use it - let your talent shine through.

Not everyone will be beat looping the hell out of tracks but the emergency may save your butt...

September 12, 2012 09:17
User photo
DJ NVASION

If you look back at cdjs there was a bpm detection which alote of djs used to cheat in a sense.  Look at all those djs you see on the Pioneer dj channel on youtube and djs in general most of them never move the tempo pitch they just use the pitch blend platter to keep in beat.  I use to wonder how where they mixing without moving the tempo pitch.

You take all those djs and put them on turntables with no bpm detection and no software they will all train wreck or take along time to beatmatch.  So yes beatmatching is a skill that takes time, but all of us need to understand that it was a smart move for pio to add the sync for two main reasons. 

1. There has been some form of syncing anyways such as bpm detections on cdjs so it was a logical step for pio to add the sync button at some point in time. 

2. If pioneer didn't do it some rival company would've done it.   

September 12, 2012 10:15
User photo
DJNR

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the sync button is there, get over it. It's not going anywhere.

September 12, 2012 10:36
User photo
DubLN

running outofspace:

1.didn't realize this was a spelling class. thought we were DJs not grammaticians.

2. of course no DJ will walk away from a gig when he sees the nexxus SYNC button and i dont think

anyone is suggesting that. so that means we all should just shut up and not have an opinion?

3. the only one tapping me on the shoulder will be someone asking me what happened to Djing. :)

NVASION, i get your point. but for me there is a line in the sand that ya just dont cross

and that is this: now essentially you dont even need head phones. you can have all your cue points

set on the first beat of the first bar of each track, recall CP, hit sync and wha-la, perfect mix, i don't know

about anyone else

but that just goes a little too far for me. Any time your diminish the necessity for actually using your ears

to DJ, it's NOT a good thing IMHO.  I don't see it as a "logical step". maybe Pioneer sees it as a "necessary"

step to sell units. I wonder if their headphone sales will drop?? LOL

I guess I'm in the minority to think that sync buttons will NOT advance the art of DJing.

September 12, 2012 12:59
User photo
Nick Potoczny

great for me cdj 2000s now should get cheaper 

September 12, 2012 14:22
User photo
Nick Potoczny

and i can agree that its not a good step djs should up their skills like jeff mills not their hardware, theres some things the wizard can do on vinyl most djs cant even do with sync 

September 12, 2012 14:23
User photo
dtm
September 12, 2012 17:25
User photo
Mr Green

@ DubLN, agree with you wholeheartedly ....

@dtm .... er, using disabled people to make a funny point? classy.

September 12, 2012 20:17
User photo
dtm

Get me right!
If you can't learn how to beatmatch without sync your're quite disabled (IMHO). Maybe not physically but still..So no hard feelings against disabled people, but this would maybe get a new type of DMC.. Sync DMC (Special olympics for dj's) for people who can't beatmatch without it. 

September 12, 2012 21:58
User photo
dtm

And if you still didn't get the point im making fun of dj's who can't beatmatch without sync! There you have it! Cheers!

September 12, 2012 22:02
User photo
Si BooGie

@dtm I'm all for freedom of speech but equating bad or lazy DJing to disabilties is going too far

September 12, 2012 22:05
User photo
Si BooGie

@dtm I'm all for freedom of speech but equating bad or lazy DJing to disabilties is going too far

September 12, 2012 22:05
User photo
dtm

You still don't get it do you?
This guy can dj without arms, thats seriously awesome! http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/414223/

Some people can't dj without sync.... That's SAD

September 12, 2012 22:20
User photo
dtm

And to add something, its not about being lazy at all. If you're going to use sync, you have to prepare ALL your tracks in Rekordbox. Not just analyzing them but also adjusting the beatgrid of each single track. The new generation of dj's won't even know what a jogwheel was used for.

Let me introduce the new generation of dj's...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/26682053.jpg

September 12, 2012 22:29
User photo
Phil
Silver

@ dtm - comparing people with disabilities to people who can't beatmatch. wow. 

September 13, 2012 05:13
User photo
dtm

mother of god, i quit. explaining something for you guys is even harder than helping a kid to read for the first time.

Beatmatching is the KEY to djing. Its like learning the alphabet before reading a novel.

Now DOWNLOAD the AUDIOBOOK, BEATMATCHING FOR DUMMIES, Metronome not included.

September 13, 2012 06:35
Topic is closed for comments