Question

3 Followers

Using a wireless router as a ethernet hub to connect

Hello there,

I have 2 CDJ's 2000 and I wanted to use my laptop as my data source instead of a thumb drive or a SD card so I wanted to ask if someone could help me with connecting all 3 devices together (2 cdj's and a laptop). Can I use a Netgear wireless router as a ethernet hub? If so where do I connect each device? I use a mac computer and I tried connecting them on the lan ports of the router but rekordbox did not find the devices. If this wireless router is not the proper type of hub then what can I use?

Thank you.

Jackson

JLee

Please sign in to add your answer.

7 answers

Don't use a router. Use a standard Ethernet switch.

The problem with routers is the software layer that exists that gets in the way of your decks talking to your computer properly. It can be done, but you will get the best performance and the least amount of issues if you use a standard switch.

RyanTV

It will work, but it stop anything else working on the router.  The amount of "Pioneer" network traffic is quite incredible, it's like a DNS attack.  You also have to consider any security complications you use on the router, i.e. Mac filtering etc.

For how much  it will cost, go get a proper little Switch, it will make for a much more reliable setup.

Effect

I have a small inexpensive switch for my gigs which I leave in my bag, but at home I am using an old wifi router which I programmed to act as a switch.  I hate disconnecting everything when going to mobile gigs, so this lets me just grab my laptop and hit the road without packing up a bunch of other gear.

So far, I've not had any problems with the router being used as a switch, but I'm not sure I would risk using it in a live setting based on what others have said here.

Fuse Promote

Does this work well? Is there any latency issues or does the data get brought across to the cdj before the track starts playing?

Richie Barthez

@Richie > Yes, its 'drag & drop', ready-to-go.

Remember to analyse first in Rekordbox. Then when you drop the track, it loads up instantly.

Gavin