Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

26 followers Follow

DJM-900 nexus ASIO MIDI bug with Ableton Live

I've looked all over the forums for an answer to this problem and can only find one person reporting a similar problem but they did not get help.

I'm running the most current version of Live. Trying to use my DJM-900 nexus as an audio interface for production (Audio Device "PIONEER DJM-900nexus ASIO"). Audio is working just fine, but MIDI is only half working. If I play a MIDI clip the sound comes through but if I arm session recording on the MIDI track and try to play some notes there is no sound. When I first noticed this I figured it must be a sample rate issue. So, in Live, I set the sample rate to 48000 (the only sample rate I am able to select in the DJM-900nexus Setting Utility) and in the setting utility I increased the buffer size to 1024 Sample (the only buffer size it will allow in Ableton). Restarted Ableton and made a new MIDI track, armed recording, played a note, and this time audio came out, but as I released the MIDI trigger, the note did not stop. The sound sustained as if I had never released the MIDI trigger and all MIDI tracks became unresponsive to input although Ableton's MIDI track in indicator still continued to light up normally up as I hit triggers. I switched the audio device to MME/DirectX and noted that the sound was still sustained as though I had not released the midi trigger. This problem does not occur when using other audio devices. I can run ASIO4ALL into the DJM and it works just fine but I'd rather use the sound card in my two thousand dollar mixer. I can recreate this problem consistently, even when I use my friends computer that has an older version of Live 9 on it. This is driving me crazy I have messed with every user and club setting I could find on the DJM in attempt to troubleshoot to no avail. Please Help!

P.S. I just updated the DJM to the newest firmware (1.32) and the problem still persists.

Patrick Wayland Answered

Post is closed for comments.

71 comments

Just relax, bro, whey are still working...

I had their interface2, djm750, DDJ-XP1, wanted to buy AS-1, but no, thanks

dj_elektronik 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Spam removed; they are still working on isolating the cause and determining the best fix for this. Sorry there haven't been any other updates available.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi folks,

I ran into this problem today with my DJM-850 where Ableton Push would play one or two notes and then stop responding even though MIDI is getting into Ableton. I narrowed it down to the Pioneer driver as you all have.

I have also found a workaround / fix. It's quite simple:

- install Voicemeeter for free: https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/

- set your ASIO driver to Voicemeeter in Ableton

- inside the Voicemeeter mixer set output A1 to ASIO: Pioneer DJM850 in the top right

Voicemeeter will now use the Pioneer ASIO driver outside of Ableton Live and everything works as it should, and you still get the low latency of the driver.

Then the best thing to do is to set your main Windows audio output to 'Voicemeeter Input' in your Windows Sound settings so everything runs through this mixer. This means you can record direct from System audio (like YouTube or whatever) straight into an audio track in Live, and also means your system audio comes out the DJM.

Thought I'd post it here in case it helps anyone else!

Thanks,

Simon

SimonStokes 1 vote

That's super interesting, I will be trying this out when I get home. Thanks Simon.

Robbie Ennoia-Abstrkt Miller 0 votes

It works! VoiceMeter's ASIO driver is like bridge between Live and DJM ASIO drivers that are lazy to work directly in Live :) havent tried anything else yet, only those 3 steps and tried to play my MIDI keybord - and it plays. Thanks ;)

Ján Sihlovec 0 votes

Hi Simon, could you tell me how many channels it manages? It would seem that it only handles 2 channels of the mixer. I had the same result with asio4all, playing only on the first stereo channel of the mixer. 

See the following post that I wrote on this topic:

Hi All, I have the same problem with DJM850k , Ableton and Novation Remote SL

see what happen when I play with asio4all or with pioneer djm-850 asio at the video at the following link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NBrSuoPQCk1vXZEXkBXBPy1mKLFECeJZ/view?usp=sharing

It happen only when activate the pioneer asio sound card.

The piooner asio sound card permit to use four stereo channel of the mixer djm-850k, but the novation remote sl doesn't work as you seen

If I use asio4all I can use only channel one of the mixer djm-850k, but the novation remote sl work very well.
STEFANO MACELLARI 0 votes

Hi Stefano,

I get all 8 channels both directions just by adding the 900nxs2 driver to voicemeeter, but i haven't found 9/10 from the mic or 11/12 from the send.

I must say it looks like u only get 2 but in ableton u need to turn them on as input and output config and u will see there are 4 stereo pairs.

Robbie Ennoia-Abstrkt Miller 0 votes

Wow this is incredible, thumbs down to Pioneer DJ.

I recently migrated to Pioneer as the industry standard in DJing kit from a Traktor set-up. My experience has been that for 10x the price I have a much reduced level of functionality and very poor technical support.

3 years to fix a software issue?....

I have spent £100 on another USB audio device to overcome this issue.

MakiMak 0 votes

haha. they do moderation of this topic better than fix their bugs. Unfortunately I had no time to publish videos of bug to youtube, but maybe soon. I think all we understand that they wouldn't fix this. For myself I will try to sold all pioneer hardware. But afraid that nobody wants to buy this crap. And I agree with MakiMak, I feel myself as an idiot today when rekordbox becomes available by subscription and functionality is very poor. It's very sad to know that you were just tricked.

dj_elektronik 0 votes