Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

9 followers Follow

Rekordbox and Mixed in Key

Hi everyone!

I have a huge collection of music already on rekordbox.
Does anyone know that if I purchase mixed in key, will it automatically update all of these songs keys to camelot form in the play list field without me messing around with each individual song? As in, does it work along with rekordbox?

Thank you

Regards

Etchells101

Please sign in to leave a comment.

17 comments

Interested in the answer to this also. And what the benefit of MIK is over the standard related window within RB.

Samuel Alexander Spratt 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Tbh, I normally just use the rekordbox notation. And I've never really had much of an issue.
But would be much more convenient to have the camelot notation as well.
But the key analysis on rekordbox doesn't seem to bad tbh, can't fault it.

Etchells101 0 votes

Hmm, you'd need to have RB refresh your track id3 info, otherwise it would update the first time you load the track into the deck. I am not sure if there is a quick and dirty way to do this without reanalyzing which would be a beast... maybe Pulse knows.

Mike Roehr 0 votes

Don't know of a quick way to do this either.  You either have to physically change the keys (the Key field is editable) for each track already loaded in Rekordbox or "reload tag" info as Mike Roehr stated.  For further tracks imported into Rekordbox... be sure to analyzed tracks through MIK first.  Before importing tracks in RB,  make sure "Enable Key Analysis on import" is NOT checked in preferences.  The Camelot notations will then be populate the Key field instead of Rekordbox notations after importing is complete.

DJ Bass V 0 votes

I just let rekordbox do it's own analysis then change them all to camelot notation using the wheel for reference.

If you bulk select them, it only takes a minute or two.

H3X 0 votes

I like using Mixed In Key but don't think it links directly to rekordbox (correct me if I'm wrong).  I use it linked to iTunes and then to Rekordbox via the bridge so it tags into the comments.  Just make sure after it's tagged all the comments select all the tracks and update something subtle in the itunes metadata like EQ or remember position so it fills in all the comment info Mixed In Key has added.  Now when sync'd to rekordbox thumbdrives I can search on CDJs by comments to get the mixed in key analysis and by key if I want the rekordbox one.

ndorse 0 votes

Ahh brilliant. Thanks for the help guys.

I think I'll just bulk change the notation myself and save myself a few quid.
The key analysis from rekordbox seems decent enough anyways.

Thanks!

Etchells101 0 votes

Can anyone explain the benefit of using the camelot wheel over just regular key analysis?

The camelot wheel translates the notes into a clock method.
Making mixing into another notation easier for reference.

Type camelot wheel into Google and it will display the clock diagram.
If have some music theory behind you and understand the original notation, then you wouldn't need it tbh

Etchells101 0 votes

Another (minor) benefit is when you use camelot key, you can then sort by that.

This means your play list will show all the tracks in a "key mixable" order do you don't need to scroll all over the place!

H3X 0 votes

Or you could simply use matching / filter them down to harmonically compatible tracks and not worry...

Pulse 0 votes

Yeh I just use the related tracks window Pulse, so not sure of the benefit of the wheel system.

Even if you use the related tracks window, you still need to understand music theory to know what's going on.

Sure it will say they match, but you won't know why.

For example, if you want to do some "increased energy" mixing, you need to go up by 2 semitones (+2 on the camelot wheel = very easy) - which is a lot harder to remember with standard!

H3X 0 votes

Hey!

Does anyone know how to get RB to show updates in the comments section as that where i've set my MIK notations? pre-existing RB library full of tracks, want to analyze through MIK just don't know how to make this show in RB.

Many thanks.  

Eskalator 0 votes

William Hamilton : have MIK update the comments and then RB right-click "reload tag" or something similar.

Christophe Platteeuw 0 votes

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I did this before and there wasn't any change however it has done it now for some odd reason?

But now I'm having other issues, so if anyone can help!?

Previously when i bought wav tracks from BP i use to download via the chrome web browser and noticed that the file name would be messed up. For example:

4259119_Send_a_Prayer_Pt__1.wav

I was told that that's just how Wav files are as they cannot hold meta data or is it ID3 tags? Explanation of these would be great?

However i came not to believe this as somehow RB fixed this and they were all neat? Not sure if it was me reloading the tag or something else as again it didn't happen straight but maybe when i opened RB so was like sweet maybe it was a delay?

Then i took a look at Beatport Pro and realised that i can download them at once rather than waiting for the 6 track at a time browser download. this is when i noticed that the file names where all clean. For example:

Dense & Pika - Colt (Original Mix).wav 

And now I've introduced MIK i put them through MIK Before RB which works.

Beatport Pro Download- MIK- RB

Be all that as it may, i come back to my original problem with a hic-up.

Tracks which were original download through web browser such as - 4259119_Send_a_Prayer_Pt__1.wav (file name), which RB showed correct labeling, Track name, Artist, BPM etc some how, are now reverting back to Orginal file name (4259119_Send_a_Prayer_Pt__1.wav) after being ran through MIK and reload tag pressed, with no MIK KEY comment? 

Any help would be much appreciated, i know its a  alot.

Cheers 

Eskalator 0 votes

WAV files do not store metadata in a standard format, and rekordbox does not read those fields.

ID3 tags are just metadata for MP3 files.

Pulse 0 votes