Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 followers Follow

Copying Rekordbox database NOT moving it?

Hi there

I'm new to Rekordbox having switched from Traktor. I've watched Pulse's very good video on moving the database.

But i'd like to copy it not move it so i have the same database on 2 macbook's internal hard drives. 

I have 2 macbook's - a spare in case 1 breaks down.

I can successfully move the database but i can't seem to find a way to retain it and just copy it. I've tried to locate the database file to copy then paste it but cant find it nor sure if this way is possible.

I've searched Google but only seem to find the moving option but I'm sure there must be many that use a backup computer so this would be handy to know. 

Many thanks

David Noakes

Please sign in to leave a comment.

22 comments

Thanks Jay for the link. I have read this post before i posted mine, i believe if im reading correctly this is to use an external hard drive but i am looking to use both internal drives. Using external drives is risky in a club environment especially in smaller booths.

am i reading this correctly?

Cheers

David Noakes 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

I need help. I made a master database on one of my external drives. 95,000 songs. Took 4 days to analyze. I now want to have an exact copy of this drive and database in case it fails. I also want a cloud version as well in case both drives fail. Both drives are identical in the music files contained, and in Serato DJ, I was able to just copy the database over no problem and it just recognized the database, easy peasy.

I did this for Rekordbox and it doesn’t recognize the database when using the second drive? How can I make multiple, mountable, external drives, with the exact same data base? I want to able to quickly swap out if one if the other should fail? Using Windows 10. Rekordbox 5.2. 

I already have the exact same music on both drives, and would like to not start from scratch considering if it fails during the process of copying, I’m toast?

Using idrive for a cloud backup of both masters, hopefully identical. 

Really want to use Rekordbox but I’m starting to get frustrated with this process. I didn’t want to have to analyze all 95,000 songs just to have the ability to search my entire library during performances. Now that I have, I’m just wanting some flexibility and safety in multiple backups. 

Thank you,

DJDean 

Dean McMuldroch 0 votes

@Dean > If you mirror the drive, it will work no problem -- provided you're not trying to load it and the original at the same time. If you copied the files / folders, you may have missed the hidden content, thus not making an exact duplicate.

The other thing you need to verify is that the drive letter (Windows) or volume name (Mac) are the same as the original drive or they will not load properly due to absolute paths.

Pulse 0 votes

Honestly, the easiest way to create a backup is by using the File > Library > Backup Library function. It makes a ZIP file and isn't "ready to use," but it's a backup copy.

Pulse 0 votes

I made a zip backup already, and placed it on my both my laptop drive and the other external drive just in case. To make a mirror I have to either buy another drive $500, or erase the current backup content on the second drive? (Risky). Things used to be easy but I’m getting frustrated trying to work within these (database) parameters. All this, keep in mind, for lack of a simple search function within Rekordbox. Anyways enough complaining, I just want this to work for me. Is there a way I can use this second drive (exact copy of all the files on the database drive), without creating a mirror, or erasing the files? Will changing the drive letter help? Can I point the program to the copied database? Can I incorporate the zip file on the second drive to make 2 database + music file drives, similar or exact but not mirrored? I really don’t want to spend $500 on a new 1 TB SSD to make a mirror.

Dean McMuldroch 0 votes

Okay now I find out Windows 10 Home edition doesn’t even support drive mirror? Why does this have to be so difficult? 

I just want to make sure if an external drive fails, I have an immediate back up drive? 

Like I stated backed up the zip file, analalized all songs for 4 days, and in the process of doing a cloud backup. (10 days). 

Im begging you for the last time before I cancel my order for the DDJ 1000 and give up on this software. 

How can I, hopefully easy, have 2 external drives ready to go in case on fails during a gig?

While performing at a special event, or weddings, I don’t have 4 days to analixze all my files on the spot? Or even restore from a disk image? Mirroring is not available in Windows Home, and it seems risky from what I read in as it will copy corrupted drives leaving you with 2 bad drives if one goes bad. Not to mention the cost of purchasing another drive!

I have 2 drives, both with identical files on each. I need to have a database and playlists on both drives. Please I beg you before cancelling and moving on to Rane and back to Serato, how can I accomplish this?

The database has to have some kind of flexibility? It seriously can’t be this difficult can it?  

Dean McMuldroch 0 votes

Okay I just installed Rekordbox onto a second Windows 7 laptop. I used the second drive with the copied database and directed Rekordbox to it using the advanced dadtabase management as described in the link above. IT WORKS! 

It read the database and being the 2 drives are identical (copies) it reads it the exact same as the first drive. I haven’t tried this on the main laptop yet, as I’m uploading content to idrive for safekeeping. 

This however is encouraging to say the least! 

This means as long as both drives are exact copies (no need for mirroring) the database simply copied over, will read the same on each. 

I will update as to weather this second (backup) drive will work the same; on the initial laptop. 

Crossing my fingers. 

Dean McMuldroch 0 votes

No, there's no mirroring built-in to Windows, but there are literally dozens of 3rd party tools that can do it, many for free -- I personally use FreeFileSync.

It's really not that difficult - it seems like you're making it out to be more so than it actually is! (But it also sounds like you've figured it out based on your last post.)

Pulse 0 votes

All was well until an unexpected error occurred while I was running a playlist in automix as if I was playing some cocktail or dinner music. I was doing this just to make sure it’s reading all the files correctly.

The program would not restart with the drive in the system. I had to remove the drive, restart the program, creating another local database, then restart the program with the drive plugged in. I directed it again to use the external database, and I’m currently playing the same list again to see if I can replicate the problem. I hope it was an anomaly because of a lack of any initial local database? 

Just fyi Windows 10 Professional has mirroring capabilities; it’s the home version lacking this option. Thanks for the software mention however! 

It seems you should have at least created a local database once, is this correct? Once you boot from that, then the switch can easily occur to an external database?

Dean McMuldroch 0 votes

It shouldn't matter if you have an internal database or not -- just that if your previously used source wasn't available, it would try to default to the internal. If the internal didn't exist, it would create one.

You can switch from internal to external at any time by going to the Advanced tab in the preferences, even with multiple drives connected, each containing a database.

Pulse 0 votes

Nope error again! Scary stuff! 

This time it rebooted? 

Is there an email I can send the error files to determine the issue? 

Feel my pain yet? 

Dean McMuldroch 0 votes

Just to try and dig a bit deeper... what was the source you were playing from - the original export / move to the external? Or a copy thereof?

Pulse 0 votes

I was playing from the copy drive (backup) with the external database file created on the original drive. Exact same files on both drives. It was working fine then an Unexpected Error out of the blue, several times now. It says in Windows, a program caused it to crash? It did create some crash files which I assume would show the cause or program issue? 

I’m currently testing another playlist in automix to see if it happens with another playlist. 

Just when you think you are home free? 

Of course I could not rely on a DJ program with this instability during performances? Not stating of course it is indeed the source of the issue.

I checked background programs running: Rekordbox installer/ Google Crome / Crashes

i have closed all but “crashes” and I’m testing stability again with a different playlist running in automix.

i will then test again the previous playlist in automix and report back. 

Any thoughts on this?

Dean McMuldroch 0 votes

Let's help clarify things to see if we can identify the source of the problem...

You have two drives, let's call them Red and Blue. You copied the songs and database from Red to Blue.

You're currently playing from Blue; do you have the Red drive connected at the same time?

Pulse 0 votes

No I do not. It’s currently playing on another laptop, and red is being uploaded to cloud services on a separate laptop. 

Dean McMuldroch 0 votes

@Noasky > I've deleted your post because, while containing helpful information, did not help me in assisting @Dean with his issue here. You're welcome to re-contribute that to a new topic for discussion there.

@Dean > And is the Blue drive mounted at the same drive letter that the Red drive was previously?

Pulse 0 votes

No they are separate letters. Here’s an update. I intallled Windows 10 on the backup laptop that previously had Windows 7. It was continuously having an error while playing a playlist on automix. I’m happy to report since the update, the errors have ceased! 

I can simply copy the database over to another drive, (blue) and it works! I just have to direct Rekordbox to the drive with the copied database. It has the entire collecti9n analyzed, and all created playlists. 

So far so good, I’ll report if I have any further issues during this important test stage of switching software from Serato, to Rekordbox. 

My DDJ 1000 should be arriving soon (fingers crossed), and I can get to work practicing for my upcoming season. 

You would have any (inside) info on when the next shipments are coming would you? 

DJ Dean 

Dean McMuldroch 0 votes

@Dean > You would want to keep an eye on the drive letter -- perhaps consider assigning a fixed letter for it so it doesn't inadvertently mount with a different one, as that would then break the database and all the linked songs.

The issue could have been with regards to Windows 7 itself, but let me know if you run into the error again with the Win10 machine.

We don't have any info available on product distribution, sorry! Best bet is to contact your retailer to get updates from them.

Pulse 0 votes

I ordered the Samsung T5 1Gb SSD and will be using that as my main drive, with what we now call red, and blue, for backups. You think it best to have all 3 drives having the same drive letter? I just spent 4 days uploading the main drive  (Red) drive letter “E” to the cloud, an have another 3-4 days left. Because the main drive (red) is drive letter “E”, I’m thinking I will have the new Samsung SSD and (Red) both as a drive letter “E”, and keep (Blue) drive letter “G” for the second laptop? I will update the database on (Blue) now and then just in case I need a full laptop and drive backup. You think I might run into issues doing this? You think the database created and copied from Samsung SSD and Red might corrupt eventually on Blue? Even though it will never be used on my main laptop? Probably best to keep them all the same I imagine? I won’t have issues changing it now that it’s been working fine on the backup laptop? Just change the letter, and redirect Rekordbox again? 

Dean McMuldroch 0 votes

I was thinking of keeping Blue as drive letter “G” for when I mount both drives to copy the updated database? So the system doesn’t conflict on drive numbers during this process. 

Dean McMuldroch 0 votes

If you never plan on connecting them at the same time, yes - keep the same drive letter. The benefit there is if you go and make another copy of the data from one drive to another, it won't need to relocate any "missing" files because the path for the songs points to a drive letter different from the source.

If you always mount your drive, regardless of which drive it is, to the same drive letter - check that before launching rekordbox and you should be fine. You CAN force Windows to assign that same drive letter to each of those drives, but when you connect them simultaneously, the 2nd drive won't get a letter - you'll see it in the drive manager, but with no letter assigned. You can manually assign one and do the duplication process and it should then revert back to the "automatic" assigned drive letter the next time it's connected.

Here's how I manage my music on external drives...

My database and all music are stored on an external drive (SSD; labelled "Pulse") and I then mirror that drive to my backup external drive (SSD2; labelled "Pulse"). When I connect them both to my computer at the same time, the drive connected second is mounted as "Pulse_2" (because that's the way Mac OS works; same names are a problem!). If I were to do the same on Windows, it would appear as X:\ and Y:\, so the problem is the drive letter, not the name.

Once I've done my duplication process, either drive, connected by itself, will appear as "Pulse" and will always load the database for rekordbox. Should it fail, I can close rekordbox, remove the failed drive, connect the backup, and re-open rekordbox.

I keep a copy of my main drive on Dropbox as well as backed-up to Backblaze. 

Pulse 0 votes