Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Blinking USB port and LINK and USB buttons (CDJ-2000NXS2)

Hello - Is there some reason the USB port and USB and LINK buttons blink incessantly while they're in use? Is there any way to stop this highly distracting visual behavior on CDJ-2000NXS2? 

HARO

Please sign in to leave a comment.

12 comments

If the silver is too classy, you could always use black gaffer's tape. ;)

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Does this mean that these LEDs are SUPPOSED to be flashing at the user ALL the time while in they're in use? If so, why? What is the purpose of this behavior? Reason I ask is the repeated flashing of lights is typically reserved for situations where someone's attention needs to be gotten. If you look around the world you'll find this is nearly universally true for all kinds of visual warning alerts. Just like when a track is about to end the platter illumination ring begins to flash to get your attention, or say when a loop is engaged. We are not understanding what the visual call to attention is about throughout an entire set to let the user know a USB drive is simply inserted or that a deck is linked to another deck. Could you please explain the logic behind this or let us know if this is a software bug and/or if there's some way your customers can stop this from happening without resorting to something as ridiculous as putting tape on a $2,200 piece of equipment. Thanks, your paying customers.

HARO 0 votes

Yes, it's supposed to blink to keep you aware of which source is in use - especially in the hectic world of a DJ booth where there's more than 2 decks, it makes it easy to glance down and see what's what.

The tape was a joke, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Pulse 0 votes

Thank you for finally answering our question. Much appreciated. What's not appreciated is the smart-ass response. We've spent ~$30K purchasing equipment from your company so far and came here seeking professional technical product support on that equipment, not lame attempts at humor. If we had wanted that we would've gone elsewhere. 

Regarding the intentional design to have non-stop blinking USB port and USB and LINK buttons, we recommend that your engineers reconsider this 'feature' and instead just make them illuminate steady on, not blinking, because again, flashing/blinking lights are almost always reserved for calling visual attention to something, as in a warning, and once a USB stick in inserted and a source button is selected, there's really not a need to constantly reminded of those selections. The constant blinking is a distraction, not an aid. If these LEDs were simply illuminated ON, that's all the user needs to see in order to know they are engaged while using the CDJ, regardless of how many CDJs are being used (which by the way is overwhelmingly only two decks out in most of the real world). Please pass this recommendation onto appropriate personnel at PioneerDJ and/or let us know how we can communicate it directly to them. 

Thanks again and best regards. 

HARO 0 votes

This is something that was first raised when it was switched from a static (non-blinking mode) LED, but there have been relatively few complaints about it, so if it were something they had considered changing, it's a very low priority.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pulse 0 votes

Actually, we all just got used to getting flashed straight in the eyes for hours at length ;)

No really, it's a very strange decision to have it blinking like it does, and it certainly only adds distraction and confusion. And there is no proper reason to have it like it is. Pioneer, If you REALLY want to have it flashing, just add it as an option in "My Settings". I'm sure that 100% of users who discovers this option will turn off the blinking in a heartbeat.

The Henrik Maneuver 0 votes

In a situation where more than one DJ is playing on more than 2 decks, it's a great feature.

Pulse 0 votes

I agree, but this situation is a rare exception, 99% of the time it is a lousy feature.

Dunno, it's never really bothered me to the point of having to write about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pulse 0 votes

I'm so used to it that I don't see it anymore. But I'm sure my eyes would be happy if Pioneer made it possible to shut it off, without the aid of gaffa ;)

I just realized this flashing behavior, whilst fixing a SSD drive that lost the connection now and then. Swapped the cable, started perfect, and then I got worried as the USB button started flashing as soon as I engaged a track from the SSD. I have both the 2000 Nexus's, 2000Nxs2's and before that I've personally owned every generation of players since 1994, starting with the CDJ-500. I still do +100 gigs/year and always on Pioneer equipment... And now, I'll see that flashing light all the time, damn it. I can't for my life remember that flashing, and I'm just off 4 days of gigs. I'm probably as hardcore Pioneer DJ gear user as any other DJ possibly can be, and I agree that this should be a choice in the settings.

Just as mentioned, I only reacted on this flashing when I was looking for probable fails, and I was sure that the flashing told me ''bad connection'' or similar, even if the track was playing fine. Now, this was at home in my studio, so I had the time to log in here and find an answer. If this would happen during the first hour of a set, 4 more hours to go, it could have caused som serious stress and a bad performance as a result. Not all of us have staff that fix everything for us while we wait for a thumbs up to go again. Actually, 99,99% of all DJ's have to manage and fix every situation themselves. So please, don't ever point out the 0.01% users as a referens for any decisions you make for how the gear should behave.

It's not the arena DJ's who makes Pioneer DJ's profit. It's us normal working weekend DJ's who have to bend over to afford the next upgrade, which we actually tend to make every now and then, because we still think the equipment is the best available and worth the investment. ...but so did a lot of Nokia users too, until they didn't... Now with a little competition going on, I think it's time to make a check with existing users and owners of Pioneer gear what we want for the next gen, to make sure you keep existing customers happy. It's a lot easier and cheaper than to attract new customers. Simple knowledge. You could start with a survey among existing registered users.

Peter Lindqvist 0 votes