Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

10 followers Follow

Rekordbox IOS WAV/AIFF Support

Hey Guys. As a DJ I would never play anything other than a full bandwidth WAV or AIFF file - sound quality is king! Why on earth doesn't Rekordbox IOS support these formats, given that most  professional DJs that use high end Pioneer kit predominantly use them?  Please give us a truly portable way of preparing our tracks and sets anywhere on our mobile devices. Thank you 

Illumashroom

Post is closed for comments.

15 comments

Hi Pulse. Would elaborate further on this please? There is at least one other  DJ software/IOS package out there that currently allows  this on the Mac. Is this a political thing? Cheers

Illumashroom 1 vote
Comment actions Permalink

I'm aware that Traktor's app does it, but it was explained to me that the iOS guidelines don't allow it due to the possible detriment to the user experience as uncompressed audio files take up a significant amount of space, so my guess is they're doing it without following the guidelines.

Pulse 0 votes

Algoriddim's DJ Pro also supports WAV & AIFF on IOS. I have many hundreds of full bandwidth tunes on all of my IOS devices kept in Apple's own Music App, so I'm really not sure that's correct. Modern IOS devices are more than capable of both handling and manipulating full bandwidth music files without any problems at all, indeed I know people that play huge gigs armed with nothing more than an iPad and audio interface. It's a real shame Rekordbox IOS doesn't/isn't allowed to use these files as it would be a killa feature. Here's hoping 😊

Illumashroom 2 votes

This is ridiculous. Why would you not enable the feature if competitors have it, and Apple themselves sell data-heavy audio files and high-capacity devices, as well as encourage iOS devices to be used in professional creative workflows?

Not supporting AIFF essentially makes the iOS app useless for any serious or pro user.

This is a clear case of "act and seek forgiveness, rather than seek permission to act" -- implement it and see if Apple complains, rather than wait for Apple to change their guidelines. This is how innovation works.

iDiux 2 votes

Agreed - no AIFF support makes the mobile app useless as I play lossless files exclusively. I am not interested in DJ'ing from my phone, but was SO excited that I can listen and manage my library from mobile, the way it should be in 2018!

I have a 256gb phone specifically for this reason, more than enough storage, and have hosted & played AIFF files through iOS Music app for years now.

Unfortunately I did not read the fine print when purchasing my XDJ-RX2, to me one of the main selling points for switching to a Rekordbox system was to be able to listen to, sort, edit grids/points etc on mobile and sync them back to my library. Very much looking forward to Pioneer addressing this crippling limitation.

Geoff Jensen 2 votes

VERY DISAPPOINTED!

The lack of support for lossless audio files (AIFF) on the iOS app is ridiculous. This makes the app literally 100% useless and really curbs my productivity. A huge oversight, like much of how I feel Pioneer has handled digital audio files. Considering most pro DJs are preferring lossless audio files as the new standard, it is absurd that the top manufacturer of DJ equipment barely supports it. Most paid music source sites that contain lossless do so in the ALAC, FLAC, AIFF, etc formats, but apparently we can't really use them with Pioneer gear for the exception of a very narrow selection of equipment.

We shouldn't be forced to use horribly lossy MP3s in this day and age... especially since one of the main competitors fully supports all major forms of lossless audio files and has done so for nearly a decade.

Please, no more excuses, help us and fix this huge oversight. It would honestly make Pioneer the true best choice for DJ gear and software.

Acerbius 1 vote

I might have a solution PIONEER!   So, listen up... So, If I have all my music AIF, and I sync my iTunes from laptop to Iphone, iTunes automatically (while syncing) turns my AIF files to a compressed (mp3 or flac or whatever, It used to be MP3 years ago)   why can't Rekordbox do the same thing?  while exporting my rekordbox library to rekordbox on our phone, have it compress to mp3 so its not syncing aif, which, you say, Apple does not want.  But this way, Pioneer would have to build this into the program, -compress to mp3, then sync to rekordbox on phone-

If there is a reason that cannot be done, because of blaming Apple, why not make a function within Rekordbox, that will act like a smart playlist (automatically in real time updates library) , that makes a mp3 copy and stores it in a folder called rekordboxlibraryfordevice, (foe example)  and when you want to sync your computers rekordbox library with your rekordbox on your phone, they will already be in mp3 format.

And if that cannot be done, why not make a sort of backwards export rekordbox library link (that acts like a smart playlist that updates in real time) so that iTunes will read your rekordbox library (instead of rekordbox reading your iTunes library as there already is)   

I want to organize all my music in rekordbox (not iTunes) and sometimes I want to mix music on a road trip, or on the beach,  on iPad with rekordbox. I download and play ONLY AIF files.  Currently, the only way I can do this is to create and name a new playlist in iTunes, drag my Aifs from rekordbox to playlist in iTunes, convert these AIF's to MP3, delete the AIF's in that playlist, and then sync my Rekordbox library with iTunes.  then sync my Rekorbox on my phone with Rekordbox on my laptop... and do this procedure every time I buy new music... such a boring way to spend the first half of my day getting ready for the beach... or whatever.    

C'mon Pioneer, I know you can do this, help us!!  Figure it out!!!

Joseph Lee 0 votes

It's a shame. As other have noted, Apple is currently selling devices with 128GB and 256GB. It's about Pioneer lazyness. The iPad app is not adaptative (grotesque port of iPhone version). Absolute useless app if can't export AIFF (all my library is composed by MP3 320 and AIFF). Pioneer should solve this problem as soon as possible.

BIOS-K 0 votes

Come on Pioneer. Make it possible to play AIFF files in the iPhone App. We are in year 2019 now. not 2017

Rasmus Lützen 0 votes

I agree, what’s the status with this? Bump up the 2019 comment, we should be able to throw any format at this app by now.....

Why is pioneer sleeping on this app

chilly 0 votes

After reading this issue it's realy funny that an iOS app is not working with a most universal .wav file, or even Apple's own AIFF file. Apps like Garageband use them without problems.

Is this problem realy due to Apple, or is it Pioneer DJ who needs to update his iOS app?

Theo 0 votes

This is very much Pioneer dropping the ball, yet again. There’s plenty of other apps that have no problems allowing full support for various audio files and access to iOS’s Music collection (from iTunes), etc. Pioneer has just been lazy at keeping up with the times. Just look at how old this whole thread is and the utter lack of Pioneer’s attention to this very credible point of discussion. They don’t give a crap about us and our point because it is not a profitable enough endeavour. As someone whom has been on the artist end, the technical end, and the sales end, of dealing with DJ gear and their manufacturers, I can confidently state that Pioneer has always been the least approachable and absolute worst brand to deal with in terms of customer satisfaction, customer concerns, and customer complaints. They have their own plans and could not care less about what we actually want.

Acerbius 0 votes

That's wholly untrue - Pioneer DJ does care about customers.

But please consider that they are not a team of infinite resource and availability and other projects take time and money to develop, requiring the people who were previously working on other tasks such as the app. They don't have a group of individuals working on only the app, sitting around and waiting for complaints to roll in so they can fix them.

There is an update on the way, but we can't tell you when it's coming because history has shown when we announce a possible date, everyone gets all bent out of shape when a deadline is missed.

Pulse 0 votes