Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

RB5, DDJ-XP1, CDJs 900 Nexus and analogue mixer?

DDJ-XP1, CDJs 900 Nexus, RB and analogue mixer?

Dear Forum Members, i had a hard time to find any insights in forums, therefore i address my question now directly to you:

I'm currently thinking of switching from using RB as a music management tool only to using it in performance mode including the DDJ-XP1 with my setup rekordbox 5, CDJs 900 Nexus and a Xone 92. The CDJs are linked by LAN and each linked by USB to my Mac. The mixer is getting the signals via RCAs.

Is there any 'best' way to include the DDJ-XP1 and RB in Performance mode in this setup to ensure as much addititional functionality of RB available as possible? Does it make sense in my case at all with an analogue mixer?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! Best regards, Björn

Björn Angenendt

Official comment

Hey @Björn,

The CDJ-900nexus decks will allow you to control the software in HID mode, so no ethernet cables are required, just USB. The CDJs would also act as the audio interfaces and can send the signal from rekordbox to the mixer.

The XP1 would be a fantastic addition to the setup as the CDJ-900nexus doesn't have pads or the ability to access other features like the hot cues.

You'd have yourself a pretty sweet rekordbox setup with that configuration!

Pulse
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

21 comments

You could connect all devices via a USB hub and it would be fine.

That configuration would only allow for 2 decks of audio output, but the XP1 would be able to control 4 decks (and the sampler).

Pulse 1 vote

No, you couldn't send 2 decks of audio through one player.

You could use an audio interface with 4 stereo outs, that would work.

I don't recommend using other devices in combination to try and kludge a multi-output soundcard into one (eg. using ASIO4ALL) as that may result in other problems.

Pulse 1 vote

Hey @Pulse,

thanks for the feedback.

need to link the CDJs vis USB Hub, then, as the MacBook 2014 only offers two USB slots. One would be for the XP1.

What is the downside of this configuration?

Any feature i will NOT be able to use?

Do i have direct access via the CDJs and/or the XP1 to 4 decks?

kr

Björn

Björn 0 votes

Basically i could access 4 decks and the sampler, but need to decide to which audio interface i send the signal.

Scenario: 2 decks routed to CDJ A and two decks to CDJ B?

Sampler could work for both?

Björn 0 votes

Or would it make sense to add a separate audio interface like a focusrite scarlett 2i4 into that setup allowing to route 4 channels to the mixer?

Björn 0 votes

hum, the focusrite has only 2 stereo outputs... that does not work. would one with 4 stereo outputs work?

Björn 0 votes

to make the confusion complete:

could i use Xone K2 (incl. the soundcard) to MIDI map and access Deck 3 and 4 directly?

To sum it up:

Current scenario:

2 decks routed to CDJ A and two decks to CDJ B? Sampler could work for both?

Best-case-scenario:

I want to route the 4 decks of rekordbox one-per-one to a separate channel on the Xone 92. Which way should i go - separate soundcard with 4 stereo outputs or separate MIDI controller with soundcard like Xone K2?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Björn 0 votes

thx, understood.

In my case, the 2 CDJs as audio interfaces means i assign 2 decks of RB to the CDJs. How can i access deck 3 and 4 and the sampler, then? Or am i flexible enough to switch assignments of decks and sampler to the CDJs on the fly?

Thanks for your feedback!

Björn 0 votes

Deck 3 and 4 would be accessible within the software, but not for audio output, unless you had an audio device capable of outputting 4 stereo pair.

As for the sampler, you would basically "overlay" that with the audio from another channel. Selecting the output channel on the sampler changes the audio routing in the preferences automatically. If you were using a device with FIVE output pairs, you could have it sent independently (but that's overkill for most people.

Pulse 0 votes

thx for the detailed feedback!

so no use for deck 3 and 4 in my current case? or what use could they have?

so i would need a separate audio card or up to two additional cdjs...

Björn 0 votes

can i access all fx within rb? or is there any limitation?

see no dedicated fx rotarys like in the sp1 for serato...

Björn 0 votes

Yes, you would need 2 more CDJs or a different audio interface. How would you control them anyhow? ;)

You could access all of the basic FX; there is an optional EFX plus-pack you can purchase to add more FX, and no, the DDJ-XP1 has different (new) touch-strip FX available vs. the rotary controls of the SP1.

Pulse 0 votes

got it. my first hope was to use a xone k2 (cheaper than additional CDJs) to access deck 3 and 4.

But as you stated that two different soundcards (CDJs aggregated audio device and the K2s) would cause conflicts, i thought i could maybe reassign XP1s pads in a way to access deck 3 and 4 (seems not to make sense).

i think i start with the current setup and the xp1.

Later may give a separate audio interface with 4 stereo outputs and the xone k1 (without own soundcrd) to control decks 3 and 4 a chance...

Björn 0 votes

You could use the Xone K2 for decks 3 and 4, but again, no audio outputs.

You are using a Mac, so you can use the built-in aggregator to assemble multiple audio interfaces - if you were on a PC, I'd never suggest it.

Pulse 0 votes

Couldn't i use the built-in aggregator to assemble an audio interface of two CDJs and two Xone K2? The Xone K2 have both RCAs which i would link to the mixer.

Or does a former reply of your tackle this already:

'I don't recommend using other devices in combination to try and kludge a multi-output soundcard into one (eg. using ASIO4ALL) as that may result in other problems.' ?

...just trying to figure out how to access and route deck 3 and 4 to a separate channel on the mixer...

Björn 0 votes

Sorry, I said "no" to the audio from the Xone K2 as it's only one pair. You could use the two CDJs and one K2 to output 3 decks worth of audio from rekordbox to the mixer.

You would create the aggregate device through the Audio MIDI Setup.

What I was referring to (ASIO4ALL) was aggregating sound cards on a PC. On a Mac, you're fine.

Pulse 0 votes

Perfect!

I'll go for the XP1 and the Xone K2, then.

Plenty to (MIDI-)learn, figure out and play!

Thanks for your patience and continuous, highly appreciated support!

Have a good weekend!

br

Björn

Björn 0 votes

This was a great post to read.

Agreed, that will make for a pretty sweet Rekordbox setup indeed.

Ross 0 votes