Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

7 followers Follow

This file is already in the collection

Umm, what's this all aboot then?

Vahid Djalily

Official comment

You really wanted me to bring the fire today! 😆

This happens when you already have the file in the collection, move it to a new location, import it again, so now there's two entries - but one of them is missing. Sort the collection by name, remove the NEW entry (which, chances are, doesn't have any hot cues or other updated information on it), then delete it, and relocate the old one.

Presto!

Pulse
Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.

16 comments

Ok.. I’ve moved all my files to Dropbox and some have still to upload (although, I don’t think that should matter as the file is still on my computer? They still play ok in iTunes)

Lots of files are displaying this error so it might have something to do with the move.. but some files aren’t showing this error..?
To be sure, I’ll wait till everything as uploaded and get back to you.

Thanks.

Vahid Djalily 0 votes

Ok, I've done that (with one file); the error does not come up but the relocated track still shows an exclamation mark?

I tried another song by finding another supposed duplicate track in the collection but there was no duplicate?

Vahid Djalily 0 votes

As I noted above, this would only happen if the file was imported AFTER the track was moved once; a duplicate entry is created for that file in its new location. When you do a relocation, the first entry (whose file no longer exists) can point to the new location of that file, but as that is the file for the second entry, rekordbox identifies it as "in the collection already."

I guarantee you if it says it's there, it's in there somewhere - try sorting or searching, it will turn up!

Pulse 0 votes

Hmm, I don’t know how else you could sort or search for it (I did both), BUT, as I moved the whole iTunes library I had to locate the XML file again and when I did, everything was fine 👍

Vahid Djalily 0 votes

The file is missing from collection and whenever i try to relocate that box pops up... PLease revert asap...

Anuj Verma 0 votes

It means that file is already in your collection -- it's not pulling your leg!

Look at the path of that particular song, and then sort your collection by location to see if that same song comes up again.

Pulse 0 votes

I'm having the same issue and i understand your comment on the 7th of november @Pulse, it is also working for me. My problem is that the missing files are also in a few different playlists. So when i delete a few duplications (i have several on a few tracks) i dont know if i also delete the track in a playlist. Do you know what i mean? 

The only option is track by track and playlist after playlist. But i have 350 missing files...

Jan van Nunen 0 votes

Removing the track from the collection also removes it from any playlists it's in, even if the track is missing.

Pulse 0 votes

This happend to me too, if the file is already in the collection, why don't rekordbox just update the the location field?! I would changed this manually if I had too but the field is  read-only which kinda pissed me off. Why do we have the trouble of  moving it to a new location, import it again?!! This doesn't make any sense! If I do this, I'll loose all track analisys, memory cues, hotcues already in it and to me that's not acceptable. 

Ricardo Soeiro 0 votes

@Pulse / Anyone who has resolved this!

So I too have moved my collection from my C drive to D drive and consolidated all my music files on the new D drive so that I no longer have iTunes making lots of subfolders, and instead they are all just in 1 single folder.

I watched your video and did what you showed. I can see as you're saying that the files that have an exclamation mark all have duplicates.

However, my issue that really concerns me is that the tracks that have the '!' next to them are all my ones I have spent hours tagging. Is there a way I can transfer track tags to the 'duplicates' please?

The thought of having to redo all my tracks is literally soul destroying haha :(

Look forward to hearing from you/anyone else who can help

Mike Hollingshead 0 votes

Further to the above message...this is an example of what I'm seeing

Mike Hollingshead 0 votes

@Mike > Unfortunately not - you'll either have to delete the duplicates and spend a heap of time re-locating the correct files, or spend a heap more time re-tagging and adding memory points / cues to the newly added tracks.

My recommendation is this...

0) Make a backup. File > Library > Backup Library

1) Sort the tracks by location. Provided you haven't added any new songs to the library since you made the change, you shouldn't have any that will be eliminated in this process, and if you do, it may still be worth losing a few songs and having to re-input them after.

2) Select all the ones which are NOT missing and delete them from the collection.

3) Select all tracks and perform the batch missing file relocation. About as many times as you previously had folders and then consolidated. This will be a nuisance, it will be time consuming, but it will eventually re-locate all of the tracks that you moved, and re-associate them with the correct waveform / cue points / playlists / etc.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi, i have a similar problem.

When I move files to another location and then display all missing files, then relocate, it relocates all files succesfully except one, the one I selected in the browser.

The same message "this file is already in the collection" then pops up, except that it's still unplayable with the exclamation symbol and it still comes up in display all missing files. It also won't work to manually relocate the track. Same message pops up.

The only way to restore it is to delete it then import it again. I don't see any duplicate. I also have not imported the file again, I just used the missing files function.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I really like this software and really want to be able to use it. Help would be appreciated.

/Victor

UPDATE: My bad, I had to select the first file in the browser that is showed in the missing files manager. Now all files were relocated succesfully.

Victor Lundberg 0 votes