Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Can't find Rekorbox XML after external drive move.

I got an external SSD recently, and had transferred my itunes library over to it. It was working fine with rekordbox. My itunes had been very slow after the upgrade though, and I realized it was because my new SSD was formatted in exfat and not Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Copied all the contents of the new external back to the old one, reformatted the new one, then copied back over. Itunes is snappy again, but I can't seem to find the rekordbox xml and all my rekordbox playlists are gone. itunes displays correctly inside rekordbox, but all cue point info is gone. Help on this would be very much appreciated! 

Rhylon Durham

Please sign in to leave a comment.

10 comments

@Rhylon > Chances are you have managed to somehow move the file / folder locations and rekordbox is not picking them up because the locations in the database don't match the physical file locations.

If you had playlists within rekordbox or iTunes, the XML itself was just a 3rd point, so your loss of that one is likely just a missing file, the other playlists would exist within rekordbox or iTunes.

The first step was probably the one that caused the most problems, the rest just repeated it. And it's likely that the changed file locations also affected the missing XML file.

Start by checking the file location within the rekordbox database vs. the actual physical file location - you can do this easily by showing the Location column within rekordbox and see if that path matches the file's actual location.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks so much for the reply! 

My Rekordbox collection has been reset to 0 tracks. The Itunes bridge works fine, so any track I bring into the rekordbox collection now will have the correct location. The issue is that all of my Rekordbox collection, playlists, histories, and cue points went poof. 

I figured this was due to the rekordbox xml, as I can't seem to find that xml file for it to point to. The Itunes xml option works fine, and I have selected my new external drive under the database management option in advanced preferences. 

Rhylon Durham 0 votes

Okay, so where are you at now -- are you still looking to relocate the collection? I'm a bit confused as to what your status and goal are.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi ~ my status is that all of my rekordbox collection has disappeared in the app. I have simply lost all my rekordbox collection: cue points, loop points, playlists, everything. My Rekordbox collection has been reset to 0 files. 

Which part do you find confusing? 

In your first response, you said to "Start by checking the file location within the rekordbox database vs. the actual physical file location" ~ the problem is that my rekordbox database has disappeared. New file imports from itunes into rekordbox work fine, I just need to recover my rekordbox database.

Rhylon Durham 0 votes

The XML file itself isn't where rekordbox stores the data, which is why I was confused.

I believe what happened is the drive name was different after the reformat, and thus the settings file pointed to the wrong location, and since it couldn't find the database, it loaded the internal one instead.

Have you tried opening the database through the Preferences > Advanced page?

Does the drop-down allow you to choose your external drive?

Pulse 0 votes

Thanks for getting back on this :) 

Yes, the drop-down allows me to choose my external, but nothing happens when I do.

Still haven't been able to figure this one out. I still can't find the xml file anywhere either. Any idea on where that might have gone?

Rhylon Durham 0 votes

That XML would only exist if you actually exported it from somewhere, think of it as a "3rd party" playlist source.

If you want to shoot me an email, the best thing may be to do a remote session to try and sort this out. pulse @ dj<thatfirstpartagain>.ca

Pulse 0 votes

Hi,

How was this resolved? I am facing the same issue, can't find the XML.

Even so, after a clean installation of RB it is not returning and advanced settings keep on pointing to a library on my external drive, not being attached to my computer anymore.

My assumption was that a clean install would provide me the XML in my installation location again.

Hermes 0 votes

Hi,

How was this resolved? I am facing the same issue, can't find the XML.

Even so, after a clean installation of RB it is not returning and advanced settings keep on pointing to a library on my external drive, not being attached to my computer anymore.

My assumption was that a clean install would provide me the XML in my installation location again.

Hermes 0 votes