Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 followers Follow

Tracks drifting after re-analyzing with latest version of rekordbox

Hello there I was wondering if someone could help me with my problem that I'm having... I would always use an older version of rekordbox (3.3) then last week I decided to download the latest version and now since using the latest version I've noticed a lot of drifting in my tracks opposed to no drifting before.. Does anyone have a thought on what it can be? Would it help if I competely deleted my USBs, and reapplied my tracks again with the older version of rekodbox? Anyone's help and opinions are much appreciated... thank you

James Macias

Please sign in to leave a comment.

17 comments

@James > You say you re-analysed your tracks, did you verify that your preferences have the analysis setting matching the type of music? If you're analysing songs with a live drummer or varying tempo, you should use Dynamic analysis, whereas electronic music, where the beat has a consistent timing from beat to beat, should use Normal analysis.

Even if your mode is set properly, obviously you need to check the beat grid to ensure its accuracy. I'd check those two things first.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Hey there Pulse.. yes sir everything I did everything the exact same way that I did with the older version of rekordbox, step by step, everything was fine when I did it with version 3.3... now that I've re analyzed and did everything the same with the latest version of rekord box, im experiencing major drifting.. Do you think it help at all to delete everything in my USB's and reapply as if they were brand new using the older version of rekordbox (3.3)? Do you think that might help?

James Macias 0 votes

This sounds a bit like the exact same problem I have. My tracks used to be perfectly analysed with older versions but after re-analysing them after a full format and library reorganisation they suddenly don't have the same quality of gridding anymore, which is bloody annoying. 

Bexorcist 0 votes

Rekordbox-support is non-existent nowadays. Is Pioneer abandoning the sinking ship??

Bexorcist 0 votes

Rekordbox-support is non-existent nowadays. Is Pioneer abandoning the sinking ship??

Bexorcist 0 votes

I've been analysing tracks with rekordbox since the first version and have only ever experienced improvements in the quality and accuracy of the grid detection. Perhaps the audio files you're analysing are problematic? What are the filetypes / bitrates?

Pulse 0 votes

The same 320kps MP3's I have been using for over 10 years. That's just the point: suddenly after one of the updates I was re-analysing my collection after formatting my macbook and a lot of the beatgrids were drifting and completely inaccurate.

Bexorcist 0 votes

Beatgrids themselves don't drift - the track is analysed and a grid applied based on the measurement algorithm; straight grid measurement is set to NORMAL, or varying if it's set to DYNAMIC.

If you used NORMAL analysis and the beats vary from the grid, that means the track itself has variation and either requires you analyse with DYNAMIC mode, or you manually tweak the gride.

If you used DYNAMIC analysis on a track where the beat is consistent, there may be unintentional pitch shifting on the track when sync is enabled, thus causing tracks to come out of alignment.

Pulse 0 votes

That's not really what I meant. For example: a few patches ago, I analysed a deep house track in default NORMAL mode and the grid was spot on. A few patches later, after formatting my PC and doing a clean installation, I analysed the same deep house track, also in NORMAL mode and the grid suddely was way off and needed a lot of adjustion. I know the difference between NORMAL & DYNAMIC!

Bexorcist 0 votes

@Wouter > I appreciate that, but you'd be amazed at the number of users who don't know the difference, which is why I have to explain it.

The algorithm may have changed to be superior in a wider range of situations, but inferior in others (eg. this one track). If you manually adjust it, does it work as expected?

Pulse 0 votes

I'm having the exact same problem since i updated to Rekordbox 4.3.0
Our studio setup: 2x CDJ2000NXS, 2x CDJ2000NXS2 the DJM2000NXS and DJM900NXS2.

Tried everything with lots of different tracks and settings. Nothing would fix this random drifting. The strangest thing here is that the drifting always starts randomly. Even when you load the same tracks.

I'm hearing more and more DJ's complaining about this. Last weekend the same thing happend on a big festival. I could here the exact same drifting problem.

The only thing pioneer support could tell me is to disable 'Master Tempo'
So i did without result off course. Still drifting. 

I don't think it has something to do with the analyze or the beatgrid because
when i load 2 exact same tracks on every deck (both exported from the same rekordbox and on the exact same type of usb stick) it still happens.

And when i use 2 different tracks sometimes there is no drifting while the next 3 times i use the exact same track there is. 

I did discover that the drifting problem happens faster to tracks you have to pitch up or down. So the current playing track is 126bpm with pitch 0% and the upcoming track is 124bpm and pitched like 2% up. Then the drifting occurs almost immediately. 

Then i tried rolling back to Rekordbox 4.2.5. After reanalyzing my tracks the problem was solved. <------------

I could not believe this so i then reanalyzed the tracks in 4.3.0 again and the drifting was there again.

I did the above on both PC and MAC version of Rekordbox 4.3.0 (and higher)
Same result. When i reanalyze them back in 4.2.5 the drifting is no longer there.

So i am pretty sure there is something very wrong with the latest Rekordbox version. 

My advise is to put some technical team on this because more and more dj's are experiencing these drifting problems.

Funny: I just heard the exact same drifting problem during a live facebook session of A State of Trance (Armin van Buuren). You even could see them adjusting the wheel and then after a few seconds adjusting again and again until the original tracks faded away.....

Roy Keij 0 votes

What was the firmware version on the CDJs? Was it possibly 1.71?

Pulse 0 votes

Both of the NXS2 players have firmware 1.72
But the drifting problem existed also when we bought them with firmware 1.10
and it also did exist on the NXS1 players with firmware 1.40

Again it all started since Rekordbox 4.3.0

Yesterday we tried to recreate the problem again using a loop.
On both players we created a 16 bar loop.

The song on player 1 has 124bpm
The song on player 2 has 126bpm
Started both loops and pressed sync on player 2 once.
After releasing the sync button player 2 displayed 125.9 bpm while
player 1 was still on 126bpm.

This loop played for about 2 or 3 minutes perfect. Then suddenly player 2 went playing out of sync by slowing down. Within 10 seconds the beat was almost 1/4 behind. 

Then we stopped both players playing and restarted them both again. 
This time it takes around 30 seconds before player 2 went out of sync. 

Then we again stopped both player and tried again. This time both loops played more then 10 minutes perfectly in line. 

It is completely random :(

Roy Keij 0 votes

@Roy > Thanks for the detail -- can you try and get it on video? It really helps for us when trying to explain it to the engineers.

Pulse 0 votes

I am having this problem now. Completely out of the blue. 

Yesterday this message came up when my usb was plugged into the computer " removable drive. Device library is corrupted. Do you want to delete the device library? yes or no." 

I deleted everything on my usb and when i would open rekordbox after that the message wouldnt show up. so i exported my collection and playlists back to my usb. 

i don't even understand how this is possible. 

Una Stanojevic 0 votes

I'm now having the same problem with tracks drifting after my latest update. It's that unbearable that I can't be arsed going on them anymore.
Had to delete all tracks in my usbs and put them back in (again thanks Rekodbox, why have I had to do this about 6 times this year) and now the drift on my tracks is ridiculous. I'm an experienced DJ on both vinyl and cdj do it's nothing to do with my mixing, you software has killed my enthusiasm. Sort it out.

Gaz Gibson 0 votes

@Una > That issue is unrelated to this topic - can you please start a new one and provide additional information.

@Gaz > The data is digital; use wouldn't cause that to change, and wiping and re-exporting wouldn't "refresh" anything. If you could provide some additional detail as to what you're experiencing, and on which hardware (models and firmware versions), that may start to help us down the troubleshooting path.

Pulse 0 votes