Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Rekord Box Library Issue

Hey everyone. I recently switched from a PC to a Mac. I transferred my database to the Mac and mapped iTunes Music library to a USB.  A few days ago I reimported a playlist using the iTunes bridge.  When importing the playlist, Rekord Box reimported about 40 tracks that are already in the collection. ??? It created duplicates in the collection but on the playlist it deleted the tracks that already had cues and replaced them with waveforms that have not been marked up.  All the duplicates still exist in the collection and both tracks are referenced to a single track in the iTunes music folder.  If I add the track that is marked to the playlist in Rekordbox, it is replaced when importing the playlist again with a non marked track.  The duplicates do not exist in iTunes or on the computer, only in rekordbox.  Its as if rekordbox doesn't know the file track is already there. It only did it for like 40 tracks not all of them so I can't figure out whats going on.  Any ideas or help would be appreciated.  I know its only like 40 tracks to remark but I am afraid of what other problems are in store!

Dan P

Please sign in to leave a comment.

4 comments

So I've found that Rekordbox will do this if the names of the files change slightly. For instance on a Windows PC if song was labeled C:\Music\Song1.mp3 to C:\Music\song1.mp3.  Notice the difference in capitalization.  Same file name but Rekordbox logs it into its database differently.  If you made a backup copy of the Rekordbox.xml file and it has all of your cue points and beat grids you can get back everything.  Sounds like you are using the bridge so you know what I mean.

First find the files that are not importing correctly, then look at your rekordbox.xml file, and search for the filename in there.  See if the filenames are different in some way (like capitalization) but still the same (I'm pretty sure they will be).  You can either correct them in the iTunes folder or rename them in the rekordbox.xml (assuming the rekordbox.xml has your cues and gridpoints) and then reimport.  Problem should resolve. 

If you need to delete the duplicate entries let me know and ill show you a trick for doing that too.

Good Luck!

CRSounds 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

@CRSound > Are you either manually changing the filename yourself or through a program which changes it based on metadata?

Pulse 0 votes

I came across it accidentally, as I use the rekordbox.xml file as a backup over a full library backup.  I found that when filenames capitalization changed the file looks like a new entry to the collection even though technically the filename is the same (to the OS).  Once I recognized what the problem was (I compared old versions of Rekordbox.xml to newer versions) I was able to correct the problem.  Funny thing is that I then started to use it to my advantage. 

I use this bug to allow me to have multiple beatgrids and cue points for the same song.  By changing the filename slightly I can create a new entry in the library for the same song, I can then cut and paste the BeatGrid and Cues from the original entry in the rekordbox.xml to the new entry, then reimport the new file from rekordbox.xml, and then say 1/2 the beatgrid or double it or add/remove cue points, etc.  That then gives me a way to have one file of a song with multiple library entries for Beat Grids and Cues.

Please don't fix that!!! its a great back door and provides something your competitors don't.  I can do much more because Rekordbox.xml is very extensible.  I plan on creating a tool to capitalize on it for enhanced beatgrid editing.

Regards!

CRSounds 0 votes