Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 followers Follow

Pioneer DJM 909 problems (BPMs and crossfader adjustment screen)

I just bought a used 909 last week, and so far I love it.  I've run into two problems, though, and I wanted to see if they're typical to 909s or if it's worth getting checked out (there is still time left on the warranty).

The first problem is that when I tap in the BPMs, they will fluctuate WILDLY.  Say I'm playing something that is actually about 120 BPM.  When I tap it in, the readout will fluctuate between, say, 120 and 250 BPM.  Eventually I can get it to settle down but it takes a good two or three bars of tapping, which makes it very difficult to throw effects in quickly on the fly.  I never had this problem on my EFX-1000.

The second problem is that the crossfader adjustment screen frequently pops up while I'm switching the effects button and the effects volume knob.  I'm 100% positive I'm not accidentally hitting the crossfader button.  It can be quite annoying if I'm trying to look at the different effects and this screen pops up.  Does this happen to anyone else?

Michael P

Please sign in to leave a comment.

10 comments

After messing with it a bit more, I think the problems must be related.  It only happens on the right channel, and the crossfader adjust screen comes up while i'm tapping the BPM button.  The left channel BPM button works as expected.

Anyone know if this is an easy fix, or should I just bring it in to a Pioneer shop?

Michael P 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

The BPM issue and the crossfader screen pop-up are two related items because of how the board sits and the buttons used for those two controls. There is a way to get it fixed (replacing the blister-switches), but it's likely not cheap and unfortunately we can't provide DIY instructions.  If there's a quality audio repair shop in your area (or authorized Pioneer shop) they may be able to repair it for you.

Pulse 0 votes

Thanks.  Do you know if this would be covered by the warranty?

Michael P 0 votes

Which one is the blister switch you mentioned? The bpm tap button?

Michael P 0 votes

Just wanted to add to this: I have the 909 since it came out and this is a typical problem. Three friends of mine also have this mixer and everyone of them has the same problem.

It wasn't there from the beginning on but came with time and use. I had mine serviced by the German Pioneer Service (covered by warranty) and then it was gone. Unfortunately shortly after it occured on the other side. So if you have yours serviced make them fix both sides right away!

Now (two years later) one of the Tap buttons stopped working. As there is no more warranty I am doing the service myself. I unsoildered the tap switch (Ch2 for me) to found that it is simply broken. The service manual says a tact switch DSG 1079 is used, same as the Play/Cue tact in the CDJ800MK2. You can get it online quite cheap. So, I will proceed to order the switch and soilder it back in. That should fix my problem.

But I have one question: Is there maybe a better tact switch (newer and more durable one) for that. E.g. the one used for the Tap button in the EFX1000?

Further, I keep having the problem that the bank select buttons get stuck so that you cannot change from one bank to the other. I need to lift them manually using my fingernails to get them loose again. I checked for that too and I guess it is just due to poor construction. The lift just comes from the (off-centered) plastic buttons and they probably lost elasticity with time. Well, I will see if I can fit some springs in there somehow to give the buttons some additional mechanical lift. Will see if that is possible. Any ideas on that?

Resus 0 votes

@Resus > Sorry, nobody here is authorized to provide you with that kind of technical information and as such, we can't have it posted officially here in the Pioneer forums.

Pulse 0 votes

Hmm, bummer!

Well, I'll just use the one mentioned in the service manual. Thanks anyway.

Resus 0 votes

Just in case anyone is interested: The DSG 1079 tact switches are the right ones for the 909 BMP tap buttons. Taking the old ones out and getting the new ones is not overly complicated but you should have some skills with a soildering iron. For me, everything worked like a charme.

Resus 0 votes