Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 followers Follow

DJM 900 Nexus kernel panic on MacBookAir4,1 (Lion)

Hi.

I couldn't find any sort of support request system which allowed the attachment of files besides this one...

Just letting you know that my 2011 macbook air kernel panics rather consistently (I'd say about 30% of the time), when I plug in the USB component of my DJM 900nexus mixer and then attempt to play audio through it.

I've attached the two most recent reports, one generated from the kernel and another generated from coreaudiod, and have several more available if you need them.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Jayson Larose

Please sign in to leave a comment.

22 comments

@Jayson > Part of that may be the fact the DJM-900 does not yet have Lion-compatible drivers.  When they are released, it will be announced here, Twitter and Facebook.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Yep, I see and acknowledge that fact, although I still have a hard time understanding why:

Lion was announced on October 20, 2010 (way before the DJM-900nexus was announced), and the first developer preview was made available on February 24th (which, as far as I can tell, is just 7 days after the DJM-900nexus was announced).

I realize the futility of bringing this up. You're not responsible for this oversight, and for that, I apologize.  That being said, it's not unreasonable to expect a new-to-market audio interface to support the latest incarnation of what many consider to be the premiere software platform for doing audio work either on or very soon after release date.  I know of many companies which worked closely with Apple to ensure that their products were updated to include Lion support weeks (or even months) before final release.

I look forward to the release of Lion-compatible drivers, since the laptop I have is not capable of being downgraded to Snow Leopard... and I imagine this will shortly be the case with all hardware released by Apple.

Jayson Larose 0 votes

I updated to the latest drivers last night, used the DJM900-nexus fine, came back from work this afternoon, plugged it in, turned it on, and got another kernel panic when attempting to play audio.

Attached: the latest crash report.

Jayson Larose 0 votes

Developer licenses are not cheap, and typically there are no major changes to core elements of an operating system (such as the CoreAudio system).  Regardless, the update is available and working ... except in your case.  Have you tried removing the drivers and reinstalling?

Pulse 0 votes

Heyyyy :D  I did a little kext slash-and-burn, reinstalled the drivers for just two of my audio interfaces, and lo and behold, the world no longer falls apart when I try to plug in the DJM900-nexus more than once consecutively!  And, of course, the new driver means no more geiger-counter noise in Ableton!  Consider me a happy customer, and thank you.

Jayson Larose 0 votes

Sadly, it appears that I spoke too soon.

The crash seems to happen when I use the audio driver, then either unplug from the mixer or have it tu.rned off for longer than 30-60 minutes (such as after going to work or waking up from sleep).

It happens fairly reliably, but not so soon that I can just unplug it, plug it back in, and get it to trigger.

As you say I'm the only person who seems to be having this problem, I'm methodically going through and removing third-party kexts that were running at the time of the panic.

I've removed com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower and com.rogueamoeba.hermes, both of which were installed by the "Instant Hijack" element of Audio Hijack Pro, and I'm about to move on to removing the kernel extensions for Parallels Desktop, though it's sort of an application I need to have installed (although not for audio work, and Parallels itself is not running nor has been started during tests in which this panic has been triggered)

After I've done that, It'll only be the driver for my Traktor Audio 6 left, and I'll be out of third party kernel extensions to remove that could conceivably be hooking into the audio interface.

Jayson Larose 0 votes

Parallels uninstalled, still crashing. For the sake of thoroughness, I've removed the Seagate Storage Driver kext (even though it was installed after I purchased the mixer), but I'm very sure the kernel panic will occur again.  The only third party kext resident on my system now besides the DJM 900 nexus driver is com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.snowleopard, which is an anti-piracy hook used by Max for Live (which claims Lion compatibility as well). This also was installed after I purchased the mixer.

I'm just jumping through hoops for the sake of jumping now... my system is squeaky clean, the mixer is plugged directly into a USB port, and I've tried multiple cables. I've used this system's on-board audio, as well as a TASCAM US-144mkII, a Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ, a Native Instruments Audio 4 DJ, a Native Instruments Traktor Audio 6, and a Sony MEX-BT-2500 car stereo via Bluetooth Audio (the drivers for all of which aside from the Traktor Audio 6 are now wiped clean from the system).... and the only thing that causes it to kernel panic is plugging this DJM-900 nexus in that second time and trying to play audio through it.

I'm going to try it on my old laptop before deciding whether or not to try reformatting this one.

Jayson Larose 0 votes

That would be a good try as it seems you're the only one having a kernel panic error.

Pulse 0 votes

So... I took advantage of the holiday downtime to repartition and reinstall my Air's operating system, with the desperate hope that there was some form of installed (or removed) detrius on my system that was causing this peculiar and consternating kernel panic  After three days of using the audio interface for several hours, disconnecting it, using the laptop (with and without sound) for several hours, and then plugging it back in and trying to use it again, I even had high hopes that the procedure was successful.... and then I took my laptop out for the day.

Upon coming back and attempting to push audio through the mixer's USB interface...  kernel panic. Same as before.  The only kexts installed that dealt with the audio or MIDI subsystems were for Parallels Desktop (which I've tested in the past by completely removing), the Traktor Kontrol X1 driver, and of course, the DJM 900nexus drivers.

Now having performed a complete reformat as well as previously removing kexts that might have interfered, I'm pretty sure those drivers still need some work.  I mean, "product X crashes the system when you plug it in and attempt to use it" is a dead giveaway, but I decided to give your claim of me being the only complaining about this issue the best benefit of the doubt I could... but now, I guess it just means I'm "fringe-case special".  Maybe I'm the only person trying to use a DJM 900 nexus as an auto interface on the latest model Macbook Air running Lion with an external monitor... and this laptop excels at every other task It throw at it.

Jayson Larose 0 votes

@Jayson > I'm not making it up when I say you're the only one I can recall, you're welcome to search the forums here and the archives -- but I'm also not certain that too many others are using their hardware with an Air.

I've opened a ticket with the engineers to see if they can shed any light on the situation.

Pulse 0 votes

@Jayson > The engineers are wanting to know the following:

1. What model of Mac does he use and how much memory capacity left in his computer although he said his Mac is new? 
  2. What OS is he running? He mentioned that he is running Lion, but we should know which version of Lion. 
  3. The name (s) of applications he is now using? 
  4. How does he set up the applications and drivers?

Thanks!

Pulse 0 votes

Hi, Pulse.

First, a "thank you" to both you and the engineers for looking into this.

I'd like to send you some diagnostic information (like the output from System Information) that would answer these questions in far more detail and precision than I can, but it's a little bit more detail than I'd like to post on a public forum.  Is there an email address or some other means that I can send them to?

If not, here's the Cliff's Notes to the questions the engineers have posed:

1. It's a 11" mid-2011 Macbook Air, aka model identifier MacbookAir4,1. 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1.8GHz Intel Core i7 processor... the highest specs you can get. I haven't kept an eye on RAM levels around the time the kernel panics happen, but as an example, my memory usage currently looks like this (19 hours uptime, having used it the previous day for work, with Traktor pushing audio to the 900nxs as well as all my normal sort of web browsing/email/chat/etc stuff running):  84.9MB Free, 1.04GB Wired, 1.97GB Active, 929.6MB Inactive, 1.24GB Swap used.

2. Mac OS X version 10.7.2... the latest non-developer version.

3. This is a little ambiguous... do they want to know what applications I'm running when the crash occurs, or do they want to know every application installed on my machine?  I've had very little in the way of applications running at times when I've had the kernel panic, things such as Adium, Mail, Google Chrome, and iTunes or Traktor (which usually are the culprit, but I've induced the panic by doing anything that would cause the computer to make sound).

4. I'm not sure what they're asking...  I don't do anything out of the ordinary, I generally download the latest stable version of the application or driver, and follow the normal course of action for installing them...  if the application is an .app file in a .dmg container, I copy it into my Applications folder.  If it's a .pkg or .mpkg installer, I run it in-place. When I was removing applications and kernel extensions from the system previously, I was going through the Bill Of Materials files in /private/var/db/receipts and removing the associated files by hand, but I've since performed a complete reformat and reinstall using only the latest driver versions, and have still gotten a kernel panic.

There are some things that I do which may be considered "out of the ordinary". Having been a computer nerd for a much longer time than a DJ, I consider them to be fairly normal, but they may shed some insight into why I may be the only one triggering these issues:

• At home, I generally have my laptop plugged into a projector via the mini-displayport/Thunderbolt connector and a third-party HDMI->mini-displayport adapter.  The projector also presents itself as a sound device via this connection, although I've never used it for that purpose.
  • At work, I connect my laptop to my work machine via an Apple USB to Ethernet adapter. I don't think this would be an issue, but most people tend to either use wifi or their laptop's built-in ethernet port (which, of course, the Macbook Air lacks).
  • I use more than one USB audio interface (though not at the same time, although I'd personally expect to see no issues doing so as long as each is plugged into its own dedicated USB port), which certainly may exacerbate the issue if the drivers aren't properly cleaning up afterwards.  I use the DJM900-nexus at home, a Native Instruments Traktor Audio 6 at work, and a Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ for gigging. I think it's important to mention, however, that the first time I experienced a kernel panic after reformatting and reinstalling my laptop, I hadn't loaded any other audio drivers besides the ones for the DJM900-nexus.

If you need any more information, I'm more than happy to provide it.

--Jays

Jayson Larose 0 votes

Sorry, I didn't have any more than what they asked me, but I'm guessing for #3, they were looking to know which DJ applications / version.  I think for #4 they were looking to know how things were installed / connected and in what order it happened?  I don't know.  lol

Pulse 0 votes

Jayson,

The engineers have also asked if you are running any other applications at the time the errors occur or if the errors only occur with Traktor (does it happen with any other audio / DJ software)?  If you're able to shut down any background services you know are unnecessary would you mind giving that a try?

Pulse 0 votes

I'm usually running quite a few applications.  There are times I've gotten the kernel panic with almost nothing running, and there are times that I've plugged the mixer in with 3/4 of the system RAM used and 2-3 GB of swap in use and had no problems.

This issue almost always occurs when I:

1. Use the mixer as an audio interface.
  2. Disconnect from the mixer and use the laptop to do other stuff.
  3. Come back and attempt to use the mixer again.

The issue happens when I try to push any audio through the mixer, even just "system beep" type stuff. It always happens the first time I try to push audio to the mixer after plugging it in or changing it to be the default audio device. I've had it happen with a near-barebones freshly reinstalled copy of Lion. It's usually preceded by a "kernel: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed" and a "kernel: IOAudioStream<0xffffff800eb32000>::setFormat(0x0xffffff80809b3ce8, 0x0xffffff800eb8ab00) - audio engine unable to change format" message in the syslog, although sometimes these errors will come up and the device will simply fail to be recognized as an audio device.  (It will be recognized by the DJM-900nexus Setting Utility, but not in Audio/Midi setup, nor is it visible as an audio device for input or output).  The issue NEVER occurs when I reboot my laptop with the mixer connected.

If I were a bettin' man, I would say that there's a kext that's not being properly unloaded, or some other form of cleanup that isn't taking place. Not knowing what extensions the DJM900nexus uses (besides of course jp.co.pioneer.driver.DJM-900nexusAudio), it's hard for me to say.  I'd try hot plugging a bunch of different devices, using them, unplugging them, sleeping, then waking the laptop to try to reproduce the crash. I'd try some devices such as:

• The Apple USB-Ethernet Adapter
  • Other USB audio interfaces
  • Mini-Displayport/Thunderbolt audio interfaces...  in other words, audio-enabled Mini Displayport -> DVI adapter cables.

--Jays 

Jayson Larose 0 votes

So, there is any driver to make it works my Macbook Air + Lion 10.7 with the DJM 900???

I saw a lot forums and can't found a final end for this history.

Thanks

San Schwartz 0 votes

I've been getting LOTS of kernel panics lately (up to 10 times a day). It usually occurs when I open/quit Reason 6.5 or TSP2.5 while using the Nexus as a sound card. Here are my specs:

MacBook Pro (MC700LL/A Early 2011) (i5 2.3ghz, 4gb ram, 120gb SSD boot drive, 750gb HDD) OS X 10.6.8

ʇɐןɟq  0 votes

@ʇɐןɟq > As this issue may be related to your previous thread (and the engineers noted it may be due to your modifications), I'm not sure if they will support this issue either -- but I have added it to the ticket to see what they'll say.

Pulse 0 votes