Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 followers Follow

[SOLVED] Can you record with a DJM 800? URGENT!

Hi! I've looked all over the web but I cant seem to find an answer. Anyways, I am currently using 2 CDJ 1000 MK3 with a DJM 800. I want to record a live set (using serato scratch live, SL 1). Since the SL 1 does not have recording capabilities, I have to hook it up straight from the mixer. I use Y cable, the RCA plugs go into the "REC" part of the DJM 800 and the 3.5mm adapter goes into the headphone jack on my macbook pro. And then when I go into audacity, the only recording option i get is "built in microphone" which records from the macbook pro microphone rather than recording whats coming from the mixer. How do I record the sound that is coming out of the mixer rather than the laptop mic.

Thanks!

Danny Tran

Post is closed for comments.

7 comments

I know that other mixers such as the 900 850 or 2000 have a direct usb slot to hook up to the computer. Is that the reason why I can't record with the 800?

Danny Tran 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

The problem is with your laptop- Mac's dont' have a line in. U need a USB soundcard to plug the REC out from the DJM800 into the little box- that should work. 

maDJam 0 votes

thanks for the reply! are there any usb soundcards that you recommend that I can buy for my mac to record?

Danny Tran 0 votes

Depends on where you live- Bestbuy have a bunch online. I personally use an M-Audio Fast Track C400 or on the road a Maya 44 USB- otherwise all my live sets I record on a Roland R-26 6-channel recorder (with crowd ambience) :D

maDJam 0 votes

so something cheap like a usb stereo adapter like so  http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1389435627&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+stereo+adapter

wouldnt work right? or it'd be poor quality if anything?

And also, I have an RME Fireface 400 Interface from a long time ago. Is it possible to hook up the djm 800 to the interface via SPDIF rca cables and use the interface's sound card to record?

Thanks so much!

Danny Tran 0 votes

The problem is with your laptop- Mac's dont' have a line in. U need a USB soundcard to plug the REC out from the DJM800 into the little box- that should work. 

You do not need a separate sound card, I use my mac to record my mixer out to audacity all the time. macs do have a line in, the headphone port acts as a headphone out and a line in, you must switch that option based on whats plugged in by holding down the option key and clicking the speaker at the top of the mac like in the pic i attached 

BriChi 1 vote

thanks for that BriChi! 

Last $$ I ever gave apple was in 2007 for a $3,500 MacBookPro with all highest specs... used it for a few years until rekordbox stopped working and Logic continued to crash- ended up using an external soundcard until it eventually died 2 years ago- no more apple/macs for me anymore. 

maDJam 0 votes