Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

1 follower Follow

Club DJ Marathon World Record.

Well, here I am in the office the wife has called to say a package has arrived, a large box. ;) My 2 CDJ 900s and my 700 mixer. The RMX will be delivered as soon as the shipment arrives. I was hoping to use these in my world record DJ attempt but by coincidence I got response from GWR today outlining the criteria for the attempt. I was hoping to set a record for the longest continous mix by a single DJ which would have been a new record. However, ti seems they don't understand the concept of DJ mixing and have merge the record for the Marathon Club DJ with the Marathon Radio DJ.

Here's some of the criteria:

Every disc/track must be introduced by the DJ, either before or after the track

has been played.

The programme must be live. No pre-recording is allowed: at no time may the

recorded voice of the contestant be broadcast.

The event should be broadcast live over the internet from a web-based studio.

Normal webcast equipment should be used throughout the attempt.

Rest breaks are the only point where the claimant may stop performing the activity

during the attempt. They are to be filled in by the witnesses each time the claimant

takes a break and must show the changeover of witnesses.

Rest breaks are the only time the claimant can take a bathroom break or sleep during

the attempt. They may consume food and drink while the record is in progress, but this

must not disrupt the flow of the attempt. The following acts as an example of how to

calculate and monitor rest breaks during marathon endurance events.

In simple terms, you are allowed 5 minutes rest for every continuously completed hour

of activity. These can be accumulated to give, for example, 20 minutes worth of rest

time after 4 full hours of activity. If you do a shift of 4 hours 30 minutes activity without

stopping, you have still only accumulated 20 minute as only completed hours count.

Any rest time that has been accumulated can be taken in full or in part at the discretion

of the participant(s) at the appropriate time. Any unused rest time can then be carried

forward to be taken at a future time during the attempt. However any unused rest time

cannot be added to the end of the attempt when it is completed.

I had planned on doing a webcast from my home to raise money for cancer research non stop for 3 or 4 days without a break but I don't think that will be allowed as it has to be in a public place or a place accesible by the public. Does any one in the UK know of anywhere that might be willing to host the event. Based on the criteria from Guiness I'd be playing for at least 183hrs (7.6.. days)

Si BooGie

Please sign in to leave a comment.

10 comments

Just to add. If I could get a venue to host the event what's the chance of getting some sponsorship from Pioneer, promotional freebies etc. A donation would be better but anyhting would be better than nothing

Si BooGie 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

@DJ REDSS > The very best of luck in your attempts - you are doing it for a great cause.

I'm not sure what part of the UK you are in but have you thought about a shopping centre perhaps? I'm sure they'd love the publicity. You can certainly contact Pioneer UK if you wish, we couldn't provide any information about such arrangements (note: Pioneer don't do sponsorship but thats not to say they wouldn't arrange something else with you). 

When are you hoping to begin this challenge?

Gavin 0 votes

Well the full criteria set out by GWR has thrown a spanner in the works. The shopping centre is something I will definetly look in to. I don't want to be calling out every single track like a radio jock. I've gone back to GWR to query the criteria due to mine being a new catorgary the merged the criteria of the Club DJ and Radio DJ. I know a DJ has an attempt at the Club DJ Marathon set for this October so I was hoping to get my attempt in before then. I've got some possible club avenues I may be able to take due to the 24hr licening laws.I'm not  a club DJ but I do play private parties in clubs. It's time to start chatting more with the managers I think. I've got a booking coming up so will have talk. 

I've got this far so I don't intend to give up even if I can't set an official record I will still do a marathon mix to raise some money.

BTW 15mins I'll be home opening 3 boxes like a kid at xmas

Si BooGie 0 votes

Let me know more information, I'll try to support you as best I can.

Gavin 0 votes

@Gavin > Thanks for the offer. I hit a small stumbling block due to the criteria laid out by GWR so I'm contacting the local community radio station to see if they'll consider hosting the event. I was hoping hoping Pioneer could throw some promotional goodies my way so I could put them in to a raffle them them; things like T-Shirts, stickers, etc or if they feel generious some kit.  I've got my old set up that I might throw in but if I did that it would leave me without a back up.

This started as something I was doing in memory of my Mother who died of Cancer a few years ago, I thought it would be easy to set up and raise some money for a good cause. It's been 5 months and I'm no closer to setting a date. It may be that I end up doing an unofficial event as the world record was more to give the event more exposure and at the end of the day all I want to do is raise as much money as possible.

Si BooGie 0 votes

@DJREDSS > I'm sorry for your loss and commend what you are doing. My mother just finished her radiotherapy yesterday (after surgery / chemo) etc. My father had a fairly similar story the year before.

I have your email address, I'll see what I can do.

Gavin 0 votes

Ok, so request have gone out to various possible venues so a bit early for a response . A request for sponsorship to my employer and a company I've dealt with for years has been turned down. I'm not one to be put off though. A club I'm doing a party at in a couple of weeks has said they're interested even though I explained it could be for up to 8 whole days. So I'll be discussing more at a meeting.
Every DJ I know I aak to spread the word but my goal will be get some local media coverage once I have a venue sorted and a set date
Does any body know any referees or sport officials that would give some time to be time keepers?

Si BooGie 0 votes

Guiness have come back to with a changed criteria which is now to break the Club DJ Marathon. Now that's what I'm talking about. However, ther are some strange guidelines such as the equipments having to be approved by Guiness, and dancers having to be present throughout but no dancer can be present for more than 4 hours at a stretch. Oh well, time to approach some dance teachers I think.
This is certainly getting bigger by the day; my original plan was to do a marathon webcast of my mixing. That was a simple idea; set up a web cam in front of my decks and mix away. Now, it becoming like a full blown promotion for a week long rave. Bring it on.

Si BooGie 0 votes