Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 followers Follow

RB crashing when "Time Machine" is done syncing

So I finally saw what the reasoning behind some crashes on mine. I noticed the other day i was doing a large export and with that my time machine backup kicked in which obviously now RB picks that up as an external drive even though my time machine wirelessly syncs, when the sync was done and T.M. closes the drive, RB crashes..... Can the engineers check into this, We shouldn't have to remember to disable time machine each time we do a sync and if we forget and it kicks in, we are screwed. Maybe RB can ignore time machine drives somehow? shouldn't be to hard to add that to RB

BriChi

Please sign in to leave a comment.

16 comments

Pulse, just looking into Backblaze and have a question, Being that BB does not backup sustem files such as things in /users/library, How do you keep you /pulse/library/pioneer folder backed up all the time to backblaze, do you always make a copy of it and place it in a place blaze can access? I tried the dropbox trick to force backups like below, will this work you think? havent been able to try yet

ln -s ~/Library/Pioneer ~/Documents

BriChi 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

The ~/Library folder is located in the user library, not the system library, so it is backed up.  See my screenshot attached.

Pulse 0 votes

gotcha, thanks,.  I did start a trial last night, its taking over 10 hours to backup 4gb and my upload speed at my house is very fast. I could imagine how long it would take to do my entire laptop, almost 200gb

do you backup everything too including your music folder? That's always my main concern and why I like TM, it at least kept my main music and video folder synced and backed up all the time

BriChi 0 votes

I have it back up all my personal stuff; documents, photos, etc.  Since my music is stored on an external drive, I have that backed-up as well.  I think in total I have about 400GB on Backblaze.  It's sad, actually!  lol

The engineers need a bit more clarification on the Time Machine issue ... is the TM drive a Time Capsule (that wireless thing from Apple) or is it just a hard drive connected by USB or FW?  Does the disconnect occur after Rekordbox tries to load / connect the drive after the TM sync is complete?

Pulse 0 votes

it's not sad imo, LOL  the more you backup the less you worry...

The TM backup is a WD 500gb drive attached to an airport express. The macbook with mount the WD wirelessly to do a backup, this mounts the drive in RB also obviously because it sees a new external drive appear, if I am exprting tracks to another external wired in usb and TM finishes it's backup, it ejects the drive and RB crashes, I guess it would be the same as if you had 2 flash drives plugged in and disconnected one during syncing even though you weren't copying files to the one you pulled

unfortunately you can only eject drives in RB, if you try and eject them from the dektop, it wont allow you because it says it is in use by RB even though there is no activity

BriChi 0 votes

Time Machine's great for disaster recovery, but pretty much pointless offsite backups (which not nearly enough people do).

I've noticed this before too and wondered if it were possible to write an AppleScript that checks periodically (every 5/10/15 minutes) to see if the RekordBox process is running, if so, disable Time Machine, and if the process is not running to enable TimeMachine?  I'm an amateur at AppleScripting though (In Windows I'd be able to write a script that does it no worries).

AngusGibbins 0 votes

Yeah, that's not a bad idea Angus. I know there is a time machine editor that you can change it to backup only on certain days, days that you know you may not be using RB, lets say on a Tuesday afternoon. I'll look too for scripts

BriChi 0 votes

Problem is with that though is, I mix a lot during the week for my own enjoyment, I also record two monthly and a weekly radio show as well, also, I'm very OCD and spend a lot of time filling in insignificant fields (such as Composer, Original Artist and Composer) when I have nothing better to do with my time, so I have it open a lot LOL.

AngusGibbins 0 votes

LOL, I'm gonna search later for some possible scripts, If I find one that works I will definitely post back for ya

BriChi 0 votes

Sure thing :) I'll do the same while I'm at work tomorrow as well, for now though it's 11pm my local time and time to crash out. zZz

AngusGibbins 0 votes

The engineers have a solution but it won't be in the next Rekordbox update which is due out shortly.

Pulse 0 votes

looking forward to a new update... about time :)

Cant say ive had any issues with TM & RB... i get a problem with garageband and time machine - as the GB file i created will be getting backed up while im editing it... bang - RB crashes!

Maybe a file permissions thing??

Matt Jackson 0 votes