Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

8 followers Follow

[SOLVED] Rekordbox folder structure import

When will rekordbox support the folder structure import instead of that silly "all tracks in 1 library i-tunes style" ??? Unless I can import music in my folders so it looks alike my old cd-wallet I find rekordbox useless (new cdj's didn't replace the old ones in all clubs yet and yes it will take a while, so I still have to carry my cd-wallet). I spoke with few dj's and they feel the same, so I know I'm not alone..

Answers like "there is no way"...."you can not"...."you have to do it this way" is something that doesn't give me freedom and doesn't feel fair to me as a customer. Having said that apart of this I find rekordbox as a fantastic tool.

PS: I'm not iTunes user & never will be ;)

Thank You

Joe

Post is closed for comments.

21 comments

All i do if i have a folder is create a playlist from it,

I dont use my collection at all.

all of the folders on my drive are replicated by folders and playlists in rbx.

It works for me :) but you dont wanna hear that by the look of it :(

Ive been using it for over a year like this and have no problems at all.

Nick Hilton 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

@Joe > Would you prefer "it doesn't do that right now, but we've asked for it" ?  ;)  Hopefully soon!  I've wanted to have an analyze-in-place system since I first heard about Rekordbox.

Pulse 0 votes

I also use the Pionix 'solution' right now..

Just make a playlist of certain folders..

It sure would be nice to have a anlyze-in-place-system

Benno Revelli 0 votes

@Joe > A request has been made with the developers about incorporating this layout / feature - hopefully we'll see implementation soon.

Gavin 0 votes

Yes!!! Please... Its real!!!! 

I'm new on Rekordbox, will be great if when export my large collection to a extrenal HD, retain folder structure of all collection instead of make a new playlist for every folder I have.

My collection is over 120GB, more than 10.000 files in more than 270 folders, the work of five years!!!!!! Is hard work to do!!!!

Diego Lirussi 0 votes

What exactly are you trying to achieve Joe? Not having a go or anything, just finding your original post a little bit hard to follow :)

AngusGibbins 0 votes

**Sigh** of course it's just me, that's exactly why I asked.

What I meant is: I don't know what you mean by " "all tracks in 1 library i-tunes style" ??? Unless I can import music in my folders so it looks alike my old cd-wallet"

AngusGibbins 0 votes

Yeah Joe!!! This is my same problem. My system to archive is similar. Folders with xx files (depending of my job on weekly ) like this: YYYY-MM-DD (For Ex.: 2010-05-06) with a single list of 30-40 files or many folders for each cd of 30-40 files for this day) then I have 270 folders created from 2007 to now, reflecting my cd wallet.

My first idea about rekordbox (before know it in deep) was this: copy all archive folder on a extrenal HD, import this folder on rekordbox, analyze all files, then unplug my external HD and plug on a CDJ2000. But my surprise was no search, no waveform, no cues, nothing.

Now, i know how RB works, but is not intuitive for older collections, is fine for fresh users or reimport every single folder in separate playlists reflecting every one on my cd wallet..... a lot of work!!!!!!

Another issue: files order are different from usb disk than cd media on a CDJ2000.

In my case, cd media (mp3) have, for example:

1. A Lisa - Shine (Whelan & Di Scala Remix).mp3 (6:17)
  2. Alexis - Keep On Falling (Gordon & Doyle Remix).mp3 (5:46)
  3. Andrea Bertolini - Teardop (Original Mix).mp3 (6:08)
  4. Andy Duguid Feat. Leah - Miracle Moments (Original Mix).mp3 (7:23)
  5. Anne Rani - I Know (Disco Inferno Remix).mp3 (8:36)
  6. Arthur Keen - Better World (Original Mix).mp3 (7:26)
  7. Arthur Woo Ft. Emi Jarvi - It's All Good (Original Mix).mp3 (6:34)
  8. Boris Rush - Funkytown (Original Mix).mp3 (7:22)

On a usb HD:

1. Alexis - Keep On Falling (Gordon & Doyle Remix).mp3 (5:46)
  2. Andrea Bertolini - Teardop (Original Mix).mp3 (6:08)
  3. Andy Duguid Feat. Leah - Miracle Moments (Original Mix).mp3 (7:23)
  4. Anne Rani - I Know (Disco Inferno Remix).mp3 (8:36)
  5. Arthur Keen - Better World (Original Mix).mp3 (7:26)
  6. Arthur Woo Ft. Emi Jarvi - It's All Good (Original Mix).mp3 (6:34)
  7. A Lisa - Shine (Whelan & Di Scala Remix).mp3 (6:17)
  8. Boris Rush - Funkytown (Original Mix).mp3 (7:22)

Note the first file in cd media is 7th on usb HD.

Diego Lirussi 0 votes

instead of a folder structure I make folders with playlists... these playlists are practically the same as the folder structure on my server.

It works perfect for me.

Wally Delux 0 votes

DjDiego71: Try resorting them in RekordBox under the devices pane. From memory it'll save the sorting category when you plug it back into the CDJ.

I didn't realize RekordBox relocated media to a single directory (probably because I import everything straight from iTunes using Bridge)

AngusGibbins 0 votes

I have a question to add to this discussion. If I add tracks to playlists copying my folder structure, is there a way of telling if any tracks aren't in a playlist? So I don't overlook a track by accident. This is more for new tracks added, and it would be good to see at a glance which ones need allocating to a playlist.

Snowmonkey 0 votes

Alternately, you can replicate the folder structure by creating a playlist for each folder then drag-and-drop the files from that folder into the corresponding playlist.

Pulse 0 votes

@ pulse, this is a way one problem with this if you have a deeper layer structure it will not work with playlist

example: i have a folder top 40 2011 and in this Folder i have Folders januari, februari, march, april and so on, you have to make a lot of play lists...

It is not very good organized than

Folder structure helps then.

DJ Hendrickx 0 votes

^^ I have mine nested that way in Playlist Folders, it works perfectly.

AngusGibbins 0 votes

I've recorded a work-around for you...

To note - if you delete the file from your collection, it deletes it from the playlist.

Pulse 0 votes

Traktor has a wonderful HHD-tree view function that allows you to search connected USB Drives, HHD (NFTS, FAT 32etc) and create simple Playlists from them. I have used it now for 6months and have no regrets. In addition I can load 2 songs up to see if they work well together harmonically etc before I say hmm I would like them in my playlist. I just downloaded Rekordbox and would definitely love rekordbox to have a similar tree-view function to allow users to grab files already stored on HDD's into a playlist in RB, have it analyze etc and export to USB thumb.

For now what I do is create my playlist in Traktor Pro, export the playlist via M3U (I do not copy songs to directory) and import the playlist in RB which keeps order etc. Now I am a PC user and only if I can now copy CUE points, LOOPs and have the ability to save any of those points as HOT CUEs in RB.

Comments anyone?

DJ WOLFË 0 votes

@Wolfe > Thanks for your suggestions - we have mentioned this functionality is much required within rekordbox. We await to see when it will be implemented.

Gavin 0 votes

I gave up on posting into this topic as it leads nowhere, or I just learned to like playlists after all haha. Anyway just a quick note, you can create a folder now in rekordbox (I think its ver. 3 3 0 now) however if you drop a file into that folder, the playlist is created automatically within that folder but it's kind of ok this way :) cheerio

Joe 0 votes