Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Specific Tags not loading from M4A files

Just noticed that while importing a bunch of M4A files into RekordBox, a few tags in M4A files don't get imported, specifically key and album artist, has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,

Angus

AngusGibbins

Please sign in to leave a comment.

23 comments

Are you sure the data is populated in the ID3 fields already, before you import?

Gavin 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Alright, just did a little bit of testing, key information on M4A files doesn't load at all, if I hit reload track, the Album Artist and Label information disappear, I noticed with mp3 files the label information gets overwritten by whatever is actually in the mp3 tag.

It's not a biggie, I only went through a year or so of buying m4a instead of mp3 tracks (I noticed they were fine when playing out, but when I recorded mixes for my radio show, I started putting a bit of compression through it, and m4a sounded noticeably worse) so I'm manually filling it in for now music MIK as my guide.

AngusGibbins 0 votes

I didn;t think M4A's were supported? I tried loading one in downloaded from Promo Only DFF and when I try to load it to the RB player, it says unsupported format

BriChi 0 votes

Dear BriChi...did you check if the file is protected...I think cdjs cant play m4a protected files and maybe same does the RB  :D

fenderisc 0 votes

DRM Protected M4A files don't work, unprotected works fine.

AngusGibbins 0 votes

Doesn't make sense, None of my file are protected, I downloaded some as a test just now from the Promo Only pool I am in, Downloaded "Lossless m4a" and RB will not play them, I even brought them into iTunes and converted them to "apple lossless m4a" and again, they don't play in RB. None are drm protected obviously

BriChi 0 votes

so after testing, I guess it doesnt support "lossless", I converted to AAC (m4a) and loads fine

BriChi 0 votes

np man, I never tried aac so I was at a loss with what encoding it supports and does not support, Learn something new everyday, Lol

BriChi 0 votes

Hi,

I have the same issue - KEY fields are empty (M4A/MP4) when looking at thim in rekordbox (even after Reload Tags).

The keys have been analyzed/generated through Rapid Evolution (3 Beta) and are also visible in MP3TAG (2.51). I even tried to cheat by faking/duplicating the initialkey field :-)

The fields I published; orginally in KEY, but copied to INITIALKEY, KEY_START, KEY_END Maybe none of these fields are used, but than the question is, which one is ?

Digging deeper, but any suggestion is welcome.

PS: My rekordbox version is 1.5.4 on a WIN7-64b platform.

Note that the attached file is only there for analysis purposes ((before I get any copyright infringments ...)

DJ_LINK2U 0 votes

Hey Pulse,

Thanks for picking this one up (again :-)).

The question is what do I need to store in my MP4, M4A, so that rekordbox would read it as KEY value ?

Or any other solution to get the same effect ... note that these initial values are written in there in an automated way (through Rapid Evolution 3)

As you can understand I 'm not too keen on typing them in by hand for my whole collection in rekordbox :-)

Thanks and have a nice day.

PS: In a technical editor (HEXEDIT), I can see the values being present.

DJ_LINK2U 0 votes

Hi Pulse, ratings aren't updated for existing Rekordbox songs if a new import is done from iTunes. Is this planned in a future update or is there another way to keep iTunes and RekordBox ratings synchronized?

DJ Rebel Beats 0 votes

@DJ Rebel Beats > It's known that some fields are non-transferable, one in particular is the ratings, and that's an unfortunate function Pioneer can't access for the time being.

@DJ_LINK2U > Are they being stored in the KEY or INITIAL_KEY field?

Pulse 0 votes

Hi Pulse,

As I looked at them, through Rapid Evolution 3, the value is stored in the KEY field (verified through MP3TAG).

Afterwards I copied them in the other fields (INITIALKEY, KEY_START, KEY_END) and tried in the file properties (WIN7 - Initial key), all leading to no additional result through reload tags.

Any suggestions for another TAG field ? TAG TYPE = MP4

PS: Note that I have uploaded an example file -above- if you want to for technical research :-)

Let me know if you want me to test something else.

DJ_LINK2U 0 votes

I feel the rain comming up, as in the MP4v2 specification there doesn't seem to be an allocated field for KEY ... correct ?

DJ_LINK2U 0 votes

Can we call a technical helpline somewhere, to know what is read within RekordBox (if anything ?)

DJ_LINK2U 0 votes

Engineers would have that data, not support desks.  I'll see if I can get a list or if they'll just direct me to that URL.

Pulse 0 votes

@LINK2U > While those tags are supported by the mp4v2 tag structure, rekordbox does not currently read them.  According to the engineers, if you import the tracks into iTunes and then bridge them over to rekordbox, you will have that additional information.  

Pulse 0 votes