Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 followers Follow

best usb device to use with rekordbox and cdj's

Hi to all, i'm new to this forum (the forum is new it self :)). I was wondering wich the best device (usb) is to use with rekordbox (to export the playlist in it) and then to play with cdj player (in my case with cdj2000). And with "best" i mean fastest. I allready used the great corsair 32gb gtr stick but without to export my playlist's in it, only with folders. Then i tryed out a regular 2.5'' hdd with export from rekordbox. So my conclusion is that the corsair stick was very fast at the navigation in the folders and at the mp3 loading but without rekordbox. When i tryed to export my playlist's in the corsair stick i needed about 12 hours (about 4000 mp3's), so i pass... With the 2.5'' hdd the exportation was really fast, about half hour, but the navigation and the loading is not so fast as it was with the sticks (without rekordbox exportation). So i ask wich drive can do booth? I mean wich drive can be really fast at the rekordbox exportation and at the navigation and mp3-loading without that little delay (about 3-4 sec with the 2.5'' hdd)? I'm thinking to buy a ssd usb3 device because of the small response time, but wich one?

ps sorry fo my english, i try my best :)

Anastasio

Please sign in to leave a comment.

7 comments

@tasos > Welcome!

I've got a Patriot 32GB Rage Quad Channel and it's AWESOME, but you need to keep in mind that memory stick and flash drive write speeds will be slower than hard drives, so a direct comparison for speeds is apples-to-oranges.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Thank you Pulse! (and thanx for rep!)

I know that now, that stick's slower that hdd's are, but still try to find out with wich hdd i get the fastest load times and no delay's (when they are connected to cdj's). So today i unplug my pc's ssd drive and plug it in to a external 2.5'' hdd box with usb2 and then i put my library in it. I post here my results for how fast it will be with mp3 loading and navigating with the cdj's 2000. I know that it is still usb2, but i thing the fast response time of an ssd drive will make the difference.

Anastasio 0 votes

Whoa, I just exported my whole RekordBox Library to a USB 320GB HDD.  Normally I just export to 2x32GB Hard drives.  I didn't realise how much of a speed difference there would be between flash media and HDD.

Aside from the obvious dangers, (dropping hard drives etc) is there any problems or reasons to not play from HDD? It'd save me alot of time as playing from flash drives I have to manually choose what I want and export (I then normally create a bit by bit copy using the Mac OS disc utility.)

AngusGibbins 0 votes

There is no reason not to play from a hdd exept maybe the little lag at mp3 loading and navigating after a period of time. Depends from the hdd you use. I tested finaly the ssd intel postville 80gb in a usb3 external box and the speed was amazing, no delays, no lag on loading or navigating, and the exportation speed was almost 2 times faster from a mechanical hdd. So i recomend it to everyone who wannts real speed!

Anastasio 0 votes

@AngusGibbons > Ensure the external hard drive doesn't have a power saver mode where it spins down if the player it not reading from the drive (i.e. you've loaded track 2 but still waiting for track 1 to finish). I know Pulse made the suggestion for a new firmware to continue to ping the drive to keep it 'awake' but I can't recall just now if that has been implemented yet.

Other than that, there are little other issues with using a HDD.

Gavin 0 votes

Sweet as, cheers for the info, did it last night, it worked perfectly!  I still carry my USB keys just as a backup though.

AngusGibbins 0 votes