Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Feature Request

My first post on the new forums which i didnt like at first but are growing on me.

With this new system that pioneer have implemented i hope this feature request will be looked at and added as i believe it to be a simple change and very useful.

Basically i find recordbox sorts by single columns only, you click on a column, artist for example and it will sort that list alphabetically. What would be really useful is if Rekordbox remembered the column you had previously sorted so that each letter in the artist column will be sub sorted on the previous column.  Confused? Im not surprised if you are but ill try and explain with a diagram:

A                                        B               C

ARTIST                               KEY         BPM                                         The table on the left is currently sorted by column B, but if you look at column C

Alex                               1A            120                                           you will notice that it is sorted in numerical order within each key.

Simon                            1A            124                                        

Chris                              2A            120

Dave                              2A            124                                        

Dave                              2A            126                                        

Simon                            3A            120                                        

Chris                              3A            120   

Chris                              5A            128

I hope your still with me, lets say we now click on column A for Artist, remembering that column B was previously sorted. After clicking column A the table would look like this.

A                                        B               C

ARTIST                               KEY         BPM                                        

Alex                               1A            120

Chris                              2A            120            

Chris                              3A            120  

Chris                              5A            128

Dave                              2A            124

Dave                              2A            126

Simon                            1A            124

Simon                            3A            120  

The table is now sorted for column A but has rembered the previous column sort and all the artists are in alphabetical order and within each letter in column A it is further sorted in Column B. Record box does not do this and i dont believe im the only person who has noticed this. When you have vast librarys this is a quick way of ordering playlists without having to use the keyboard and streamlines work flow, which is what record box is all about right?

I hope people understand and i hope people think this has value to it, crucially i hope the developers take note and impliment it as im sure its not to hard to do. I feel you only really understand how useful this is if you have used a program that does that, but believe me record box needs this!

-ExistenZ-

Post is closed for comments.

8 comments

Dual-sorts are something that we've requested a while back, currently there's no way to do exactly what you describe above, however, there are 2 other methods... you can use the "big 3" to filter down the library by Genre, Artist or Album and then sort the columns as you wish, the other is to search for your key (say you only wanted 3A tracks) then sort by the column.

These are work-arounds, not true "sort-by-X-then-by-Y" organization, but as noted, it was requested already and I'll put it in as another ticket for future consideration.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

On the topic of sorting - Could the key field sorting be corrected soon to sort from 1-12, instead of the current 10,11,12,1.

So if you have 10 tracks  - track 1 being 1a and  track 10 being 12a, if you scroll down after track 10 it goes back to track 1 thus making it user friendly to mix in key

cdjbasile 0 votes

Sorry the 2nd point was regarding how it is currently a pain when mixing in key on the cdj - As in when i have 72 tracks in my playlist with track 72 being 9a i have to scroll all the way up to the start of the list to find a 10a track. could it be amended that after track 72 it would loop back to track 1 when you scroll down?

cdjbasile 0 votes

The alpha/number sort issue is something we had discussed a while ago, I guess they still haven't corrected that.

As for looping; no, that would be just bad UI design.

Pulse 0 votes

I have a simple feature request which I really don't know why it hasn't already been implemented yet...

I'd like rekordbox to automatically import my music library (new files) on startup, rather than me keep having to import the entire library manually.

A small thing I know but just one of them features I think should be standard. 

Shªun_N 0 votes

the alpha/numbering is fixed in rekordbox, it has been ok for a few versions.

Phil 0 votes

@S-TYPE > We've already requested smart-playlists / folders, but auto-import might just get messy.

Pulse 0 votes

I second this post, it would be great to be able to search in order of key 1A-2A-3A etc but then be able to sort by BPM at the same time and colour

So you would have all pink colour tracks in order from low BPM to high and also in order of key

This would save me so much time in rekordbox  

Richie Coulter 0 votes