Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

10 followers Follow

[CLOSED] Feature request: FLAC conversion

While I understand that it's futile to ask for FLAC support in the CDJ hardware, how about getting it to Rekordbox? If the software could read FLAC and transcode to AIFF on export to a device, I wouldn't have to manually convert my 2+ TB FLAC archive. This way the players can remain as-is.

On a side note, is there an issue with AIFF metadata in v1.5.0? Nothing I import gets tagged properly, I have to re-tag EVERYTHING manually, yet all other AIFF compatible programs read the tagging correctly.

ukiro

Post is closed for comments.

49 comments

Sorry, rekordbox will never be opensource and conversion of unsupported filetypes is a low priority when there are plenty of 3rd-party batch converters already on the market which can do exactly what you're asking for.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

You are right on that one pulse...

Conversion stuff is ridicule (causes more issues) and avoiding the real issue that CDJ should nativly support FLAC.

It is also ridicule to say that disks are large and cheap enough.

We will soon be in the fase that we buy 192Khz /24 bit files WE NEED LOSSLESS COMPRESSION or we wil be burried under hard disks...

Irvin Cee 0 votes

@ Pasi  -  Beatport does not sell FLAC.   They sell 320k MP3, WAV, AIFF, or AAC.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

@Fuse: Sorry, I was too tired when typing that. I meant Juno Download, of course :) When you buy WAV from Juno, you get to choose to download as WAV, or as FLAC, or even as both.

Pasi Kärkkäinen 0 votes

@Pulse: That sucks. I'm trying to *avoid* using external converters. I don't want to have multiple out-of-sync copies of my tracks. I have a lot of tracks as FLAC, which is the primary format I've been using for years for archiving.

It seems I just have to use Traktor only, which supports FLAC, and forget about Rekordbox. That also means I need to get some other controllers than CDJ2000s, because the CDJ2000 HID support in Traktor is horrible, and Advanced HID is completely missing from Traktor.

Oh well..

Pasi Kärkkäinen 0 votes

@ Pasi - did you not research this before buying your CDJs? It seems pretty pointless buying something that clearly doesn't support a format that you intend on using...

Phil 0 votes

@Phil: Of course I did research this and I did know FLAC is not supported in CDJ2000/Rekordbox when I bought them a couple of years ago. But I've been hoping Pioneer *adds* import/conversion support for FLAC to Rekordbox. Clearly it's not going to happen, so I need to move forward with my plans.

Pasi Kärkkäinen 0 votes

I must agree with Phil.  Pioneer did not create the CDJ-2000 with the intention of supporting FLAC.  They never advertised FLAC, either.  So I don't think people have much room to complain if FLAC support has not been added.  This is basically as absurd as someone being mad at Technics because the SL-1200 turntable only plays vinyl and not CDs.

@ Pasi  -  If the FLAC format is more important to you than the hardware you wish to use, then you probably should move on to something else.  FLAC is not supported on the CDJ-2000.  Period.   And it never will be supported on the CDJ-2000.  Period.  The only hope for you is if a future model adds FLAC support.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

@Fuse: This thread is requesting FLAC *conversion* to AIFF/WAV support in *Rekordbox*, which is something that *could* be done. This thread is NOT asking for FLAC support in CDJ2000.

Let's just stop this thread, it's not getting anywhere.. :)

Pasi Kärkkäinen 0 votes

+1 For FLAC support! Or do it by optional support

Иван Крузенштерн 0 votes

this thread has lost the plot... pasi am i reading you correctly?

you want to import flac into RB then let that convert to wav or something... whats the point?

just import wav in the first place....

looks like i was right about 'i dont see it happening in the near future'... 16months on and still no support!

however, rekrodbox still not where it should be either lol

Matt Jackson 0 votes

@Matt: I have a big collection of music as FLAC, and I'm not going to convert them into WAVs. FLACs support tagging, while WAV doesn't.

So for me it makes a lot of sense to have "FLAC import" support in Rekordbox. I can keep my "original" files as FLAC, and still add them to Rekordbox. RB can then convert to WAV (or AIFF) when *exporting* to USB stick from RB. This is quite simple to implement, and doesn't require FLAC support from the CDJs, only from RB.

Traktor has supported FLAC for years. Recently also Serato added FLAC support. It's time for Pioneer to do the same.

The automatic "FLAC conversion" suggested in this thread is the *easiest* way to add FLAC support, because modifications are only needed in Rekordbox.

Pasi Kärkkäinen 0 votes

@Matt: Dont forget you save about 5 to 20% of disk space when using Flac. That are files from around 40MB so thats a pretty big save.

Irvin Cee 0 votes

@irvin... who cares about space - i have oodles of space free on my drive.. and drives dont cost that much to even begin to worry about compression / space...

so i spose the only way forward would be to use our cdjs as midi controllers with serato or traktor - as those apps support flac - not sure rb is any closer to supporting it than when we first began this thread.

although 16 months on from the begining of this thread... mp3 still seems to be the standard platform for digital music. Between the djs ive worked with over this period (im talking 100s here), none of them have mentioned flac... at best wav may have been mentioined once or twice in discussion...

im all for better quality and small file size, dont get me wrong..  but everyone else needs to join the party to make it work!

Matt Jackson 0 votes

I care about space. In laptops you dont have that big size disk.

I have 2x 750 GB in my laptop and they are getting full...

Irvin Cee 0 votes

who cares about spaces - ok! Nobdy cares! but convert music 2format(aiff) who has no support any mp3 player devices it's no smart

Иван Крузенштерн 0 votes

Nice to see this issue hasn't died down.  I see a batch of new products and still no flac support.  Still very disappointing for such an expensive product.  So many excuses and many competitors support this feature.  Still waiting for that day when I can have Pioneer CDJs and my FLAC collection played off of an NTFS formatted hard drive.... no laptop needed

Sean VanderMolen 0 votes

Ive gone back to Wav and CD cause the other formats sounds really bad, the more noise you put in, the more damage you gett, and this will be even more clear on really good soundsystems.

As long as crap mp3s are widley used and have outspoken support, there will never be any change, why sell large bulky files, when you can sell lossy formats for almost the same amount of money, and the good thing, when the customers realize the mistake they've done, well you have to buy the tracks again. cause there are not many stores that keeps a record of what you bought and let you download again if something would happen.

So, im skeptic to the whole lossless issue, that wont be resolved.

So buy CDs och Wavfiles, regarding the tags, the only thing you need, is Artist, trackname and maybe key!, nothing more

Star Lord 0 votes