Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

7 followers Follow

Pioneer you need to get your crap together on Rekordbox

I use a Mac and everything runs just fine but seriously trying to make a playlist while Rekordbox anaylzes tracks and then it freezes up. It's not me. It's the software. Needs a fix. Just sayin. 

DjsPm

Please sign in to leave a comment.

25 comments

Why don't you let Rekordbox do it's job at night and make a playlist a little later ?

Does this happen all the time or was it a glitch?

Lead 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Unfortunately im inclined to agree.

I tolerate rbx as it does have a brilliant concept but the one word i would use to describe it is "unstable"

Nick Hilton 0 votes

As a rule, I don't do anything with any software while it's analysing the imported tracks - not Itch, not SSL, not Traktor, not Rekordbox.  You're already stressing the CPU(s), why hassle it further?

Pulse 0 votes

Sorry, but I am also very tired of record box. It is extremely buggy while working with SD cards, it hangs and it is very slow.... 

So: using an HDD is buggy on CDJ's.... Using an sd card is Buggy on record box.... I think I'm going to record cd's again...

Manoskap 0 votes

I'm always curious as to what kind of computers and devices you guys are running that you keep having so many errors... I've been using Rekordbox since before it was public and have had fewer problems than the majority of you ... and that's across multiple computers (MacBook Pros, a Windows box running XP, Vista and Seven in 32 and 64bit varieties). 

You complain that it's buggy but in order for us to try and troubleshoot and provide help, you need to help us by providing information.

Pulse 0 votes

@ Pulse

Out of interest does rbx not seem unstable and crash across all of your o/s?do you not see these random lockups and crashes that i see?

or which one do you use the most and which one do you find the best?

i personally have windows 7 32 bit, if im just using it as a source its fine these days but if i use it for anything other than that it struggles and doesn't respond without having a good moan first...

Nick Hilton 0 votes

@ Pulse

Really, have you ever tried to perform using just a couple of sd cards? How many songs did you load on them, and how long did it took?
Also, on a card full of songs, have you tried to update your collection? Let's say you have 10 playlists and you want to add one song at each. Believe me, you need about 10 minutes, 10 f***ing minutes to add 10 songs!!!!

Manoskap 0 votes

@Manoskap > Yes, I've used SD cards and no, it doesn't take me 10 minutes to load them.

One thing I've always been sure of is to buy quality media, be it CD blanks, hard drives, USB drives or SD cards.  I don't buy generic brands and I always make sure it's a reliable brand AND device.  (Western Digital is considered to be "quality" by many, but I've had bad luck with them in the past and I've seen how poorly their Passport drives perform ever since the CDJ-400, so I've avoided them.)

Is one make or model better than another?  Or is one OS or computer better than the rest?  I don't have a definitive answer for that, but I have had the odd crash on all platforms, but nothing so serious that I didn't either re-load the program and carry on or call up my backup database and continue with what I was doing.  I've only ever had two 830x errors ... one was thanks to a bad update (the engineers found the problem with my export database, a re-export corrected the issue) and the other was likely a bad LINK cable at a Pioneer show.  Granted, I'm not out playing 3 nights a week, but I am testing these things for errors and testing with both large (20k+) and small (sub-1000) libraries to test performance and reliability.  I know the frustration of waiting for search results, but it's the straight-up errors and crashes that I'm talking about, and as I've said before, it really does come back down to the source media and the files you have on them.

Pulse 0 votes

As Pulse said, I'd like to see what computer configurations everyone is using that has problems with the software. I run it on my laptop and desktop (Windows 7 x64) and have only run into one problem. Rekordbox would not update to 1.5 on the laptop so I had to uninstall 1.4 and install 1.5 instead of just straight updating.

I make playlists while analyzing tracks and I don't have it hang on the desktop. I haven't tried on the laptop.

M!TCH 0 votes

I use a 2010 15' i7 Mac book pro and it takes ages to copy a single file to a card. Also, recordbox hanged while I was copying files to a brand new 500gb wd external HDD, resulting to a corrupt library each time.

@ pulse> really you think copying files to a card is fast? As a professional, I can't depend on recordbox. I like to keep my library constantly updated and the transfer speed is extremely slow compared to a copy-paste via a file browser. Why it is not as fast as with a USB stick?

Manoskap 0 votes

Why? Working via a file browser the sd ia as fast as a USB stick... Anyways, class 6

Manoskap 0 votes

Because SDHC card has variable R/W speeds. For example, a Class 6 card is supposed to have on the bottom end a write speed of 6MB/s. Read speeds greater than or equal to the write speed. All USB sticks do not have same R/W speeds and they are not necessarily the same speeds as an SDHC card.

My Kingston USB stick only has a read speed of 10MB/s and a write speed of 5MB/s. My Sandisk Extreme SDHC card can get up to 30MB/s. That's quite a difference. If you have a bad SDHC card (just because they say it is a class 6 doesn't always ring true) that could be what is causing part of your problem with slow speeds.

Now, taking into consideration that via drag and drop within the browser you are getting the same speeds (I trust you've timed the amount of time to copy the same set of data to and from each memory device), you are having an issue where within Rekordbox you can transfer faster to USB than you can to an SDHC card, is this correct? I just tested it on my desktop and it finished the SDHC card faster than my USB stick. You might try a reinstall. Good luck!

M!TCH 0 votes

I don't have a problem with the stability of RekordBox (generally seams to be rock solid), but a lot of the time it does seam like a generally half baked application, or a 0.7 or 0.8 rather than a 1.5 release, there's just a lot of seemingly simple functionality in there that seems to be left out, the sort of thing that leaves you scratching your head afterwards going 'Really???  they left that out??'

AngusGibbins 0 votes

@ Mitch, pulse> so you say it may be a sdhc problem? Believe me, I ve tested multiple cards, the result is always the same.. 2-3 minutes for 10 songs. While via finder the speed is as you would expect.
So let's focus on recordbox problem... If it is a recordbox issue would a reinstallation solve it? I remind you that I use Mac os snow leopard and that on a USB stick the speed is fine.

Manoskap 0 votes

I'm not sure if this helps you at all Manoskap (It probably won't) but copying tracks onto flash memory normally takes me hours (I try to do it as little as possible now for that reason, it's more so for redundancy if I'm not sure if the club's CDJs are linked up or not) but copying onto a portable hard drive (which is handier for me because it's faster, and it means I can just do a straight export of my entire library and not have to pick and choose) takes about one hour, so it's definitely faster to my hard drive rather than flash drives.

Having said that though...  When I do take my flash drives, it takes me a few hours to eventually copy everything on there (usually around 30GB), it definitely takes much longer per file than to HDD, but duplicating the Flash drive using the OS X Disc Utility takes about 2 hours, (which works out to be considerably less time per MB than what RekordBox handles).

This behaviour is consistent accross my new MBP (i7 Quad Core, 8GB Ram, 7,500RPM HDD) and my 3 year old one (C2D, 4GB Ram, 5,200RPM HDD) so it's definitely not anything buggy with my system.

I'm going to do some testing next week (when I can afford some downtime), probably with around 15GB of media, I'll let you know my results!

AngusGibbins 0 votes

As you say, there seems to be a bug about sdhc on Mac os version of recordbox. Pulse? Can you confirm this behavior and reproduce it in your labs?

Manoskap 0 votes

@Manoskap: if that was directed at me, I was using USB flash, not SDHC (I should've clarified sorry).  Currently drafting up details for my little experiment, I'll keep you updated with my results.

I would repeat the same experiment using an SD card too, but I have the 17" MacBook Pro which doesn't have the SDXC card slot

Also...  This is probably common knowledge but just to clarify, I am not endorsed or employed by Pioneer, all my theories, research and methodology is my own.

AngusGibbins 0 votes

Sure you are not an emploee of pioneer so that's why I asked pulse to do the tests. If you think USB flash is slow, do a test with a sdhc...

Manoskap 0 votes

^^ I would do it with SDHC but I don't own a card read or any SDHC cards.

AngusGibbins 0 votes

Everyone should stick with 1.4.1 until there have been several updates to 1.5. My sets are all done with LINK and 1.4.1 and I've been as stable as can be.

Never ever jump on any new software until it's been properly patched. I didn't consider Windows 7 until the first service pack came out. This same mindset holds true for all software applications. If you don't have stable software for your sets, you might as well go back to CD's or Vinyl without any computer component. There is NOTHING worse than music stopping in the middle of a set and the cause is software related.

MIKE BILLS ENTERTAINMENT 0 votes

^^ I haven't had a single issue on RekordBox 1.5.  (Or Windows 7 in the 2 or so years I've been using it at work.)

AngusGibbins 0 votes

^^ Actually ignore that, just seen how many other threads there are complaining about 1.5 crashing (I'm not sure what I'm doing different though)

AngusGibbins 0 votes

@ Manoskap - if you've tested them and they are indeed different then I would agree with you. Try uninstalling and going back to 1.4.x and see if that solves your problem. I don't use Apple products so I am unable to help you. My apologies.

@ AngusGibbins - I haven't had an issue besides it wouldn't update through the program, I had to do it manually. Haven't looked back since. I'm also running Windows 7 x64.

@DJ Mike Bills - while I think that is a great rule of thumb in general I wouldn't always agree with it. Use new software as long as you're willing to try and figure out the bugs and help the development of the application. If no one ever used new software, very few people would report bugs. Just make sure you use new software with the understanding you may have to troubleshoot more frequently. For the record, only problem I've had with Windows 7 since the RC was with the network adapter cutting in and out. I may have had a problem with it sleeping too in the RC.

M!TCH 0 votes