Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

10 followers Follow

.Wav files not recognised in Rekordbox

I find that now all .wav files are recognised by Rekordbox. i have to convert them to mp3 for rekordbox to recognise v1.5.0

travellingpom

Please sign in to leave a comment.

18 comments

Rekordbox will recognize WAV files, but perhaps you mean that you don't see title/artist/etc when you use WAV.

This latter is caused by the fact that WAV files cannot hold Meta Data, which is used for these information.

Lead 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Hi there, no i mean some wav files purchased e.g from Beatport i go to File>open file in rekordbox> select the wav file and click open and Rekordbox does not import and anaylise the file. I have to then convert it to mp3 to import.I can provided a example. Happens on 20% of my wav files.

travellingpom 0 votes

that's weird, Just for the record, i can do the same, file/import/file and choose a /WAV and it imports fine so it may be something with the way RB is handling beatports files, not necessarily all wave files

BriChi 0 votes

I also have had the samr problem with Wav files from different sources such as Juno as well.

travellingpom 0 votes

Have you checked the bitrate of your files?  What I have observed was that if the track has a bit rate of over 1536 kbps, RB will not import it.  I know, I have over 5,000 tracks of WAV files only.

GlasEye2 0 votes

If that's the case, try importing the 'offending' audio track with Audacity or Goldwave (freeware) or any of your trusted utilities and export as WAV again. 

GlasEye2 0 votes

i can do that successfully but wish to know the reason why i am unable to import the wav file without having to do the workaround

travellingpom 0 votes

I will concede to Pioneer's experts why this is so.  And hope that the explanation will be more technical{?} than a mere response that "wav is a non-standard medum"  etc, 

GlasEye2 0 votes

Just like MP3 files, WAV files can be malformed or contain other data that makes their import crash -- even when they play just fine in other programs (which may simply ignore that data segment).  You can try chopping a frame or two from either end of the WAV file and re-saving it and it may work.

Pulse 0 votes

i had played a festival and the pioneer 900s were on hand and made two usb flash drives of .wav to play for my set and certain ones werent reading at all, the ones i converted from bandcamp from .flac, it was a ton of them and wasnt able to play the tracks i wanted to at the time and made me play cruddy mp3 files instead of wavs, i converted them in audacity from flac to wav and werent reading at all. i wish ur decks can read the flacs direct instead of having to convert them to mp3 which is lame, i would love to spin 24 bit tracks and not cruddy 16 bit ones in my set! was nothing convenient about using flash drives i wish i at least burned cds for my set , mp3s suck!

Chloro Djinn 0 votes

You CAN use 24bit WAV files, but only on a CDJ-2000NXS2.

Be sure you have content ready for whatever players are on hand.

Pulse 0 votes

I see this is an old thread but altough my CDJ 900NXS is supposed to play 24 bit WAVs some of them don't play.

It says 'ERROR 8305' or 'ERROR 8302 Cannot play track (3658)'

Meanwhile other 24bit files play without problem. The source is different - online shops, vinyl rips or converted from flac. Tried renaming or open and save again as wav through various software but didn't work. So eventually I convert them to 16 bit which I prefer not to.

Why?

zmeio 0 votes

@zmeio > Yes, it's an old topic, so the information above is out of date.

Per the CDJ-900NXS owner's manual (pg 6):

Yes, 24bit WAV files are supported, but they must be 44.1 or 48kHz in PCM format. If they're 96kHz sampling rate, they can't be played. Please check that first.

Pulse 0 votes

I've just been through the same nightmare with wav and flac files missing the name/title info that I had manually renamed when I ripped several cds from vinyl. I'm only dealing with about 100 tracks, but still, this nightmare cost me days of wasted time, just getting past the track names! I renamed wav and flac tracks manually in rekordbox itself. I haven't tried the USB in a nexus 2 yet... But I'm prepared to spin cds at my upcoming gig. Ok, so is there a way to batch convert my tracks to MP3 for other pioneer equipment? Plus retain cdj settings? Pioneer should have an add on.. As a backup tool. I am prepping for a gig that will have nexus 2s. My first gig out since 2011...going from cdj 100s & 800s to nexus decks, well... It's been torture the past few weeks trying to prep my ripped vinyls. I hate the sound quality of MP3. But I have an opportunity to practice on version 1 nexus cdjs, but oh wait... My usbs won't be compatible. Is there a way to make an MP3 conversion back up? I really wanted to work with the supposed wonderful file based feature. But not without more agony and time first, I guess. I think it will be simpler to play cds.

Wendy Wiencek 0 votes

@Wendy Wiencek

For batch convert I use Switch Sound File Converter. The basic version is free and does all one can need.

Not sure I understand the other questions.

What do you mean by incompatible USBs? Retain CDJ settings?

With 'File based feature' you mean RekordBox or something else?

zmeio 0 votes

I agree this is insanely annoying and impacts my DJing, files that work fine in rekordbox, i.e. you can analyze them, set cue points, play with them in rekordbox performance, then you export to a drive and on stage in front of thousands of people the file is missing.  Why not alert us when we are importing or analyzing the file rather than only finding out it doesn't work during your set. Lame.

Rob Bennion 0 votes

@Rob > rekordbox, as an application, supports video files as well -- which the players do not. It's not lame, it's just capable of supporting playback of a wider range of file formats than the hardware and you should be aware of the limitations.

Pulse 0 votes