Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

59 followers Follow

Suggestions for Rekordbox updates?

Couldn't find this anywhere, so thought I might do one after I have been using Rekordbox for a while....

First of all: LOVE the program, but as many other (new) programs it has potential to be better....

1) Sync with folders on your harddrive. Automatically search for new files at startup.

2) "key" feature - finds the key of the tracks.

3) editi/cut in audio tracks... a litlle audio editor would be awesome!!!

if there is a thread for this I apologize.... 

Casper Østergaard

Post is closed for comments.

323 comments

I'd love to have the USB recording feature from the DJM350 on all mixers.  So easy and awesome.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

It would be cool if the devs can look into quicker export functions and a faster working RB

it would also be nice if rekordbox could analyze the keys of your tunes.. or at least show if tunes are compatible if the key tag is entered in the mp3 or aiff tag..

ooh yeah, and some more colors for tagging on our cdj-2000s and RB would also be a nice addiction

Jack C 0 votes

some very nice suggestions/additions in this thread! a lot of them would be really useful.

Benno Revelli 0 votes

This thread is on the watch-list for the development team, so they are getting the suggestions made here.

Pulse 0 votes

Biggest issue remains the stability of the programm specialy when 2 usb drives are connected for exporting tracks to them, or even to work on their playlist etc. Rekordbox crashes 3-5 of 10 times use.

Anastasio 0 votes

I keep my music on a separate hard disk, not in the Windows "My Music" folder.

I would love to be able to set the default folder for importing tracks to the place I keep my tunes, instead of having to navigate up the tree from My Music then back down through the structure of the other hard disk etc...

Even if Rekordbox remembered the last place I imported from it would be less annoying!

Thank you :)

Insect 0 votes

Don't know when the next (successful) RB update will come out but I'd like to reiterate an RB feature I've been campaigning for for probably two years now.

"Edit track info while RB is in LINKED mode."  - (Not just "Ratings")

Thank you. 

MUSICHAOS 0 votes

My suggestions:

• Make Rekordbox ROCK stable!

• Edit track details while linked.

• Faster program, quicker export (especially on high spec pcs like Intel I5, I7, 64 bit, etc. etc.)

• Option to make it more easy to have 2 IDENTICAL Rekordbox databases on let's say my studio computer and my laptop.

some other usefull things:

• Key detection
  • MP3 validator
Carl 0 votes

salut, j'ai un gros problème avec les historiques, mes cdj 2000 n'enregistre plus d'historique, et dans rekordbox, impossible d'afficher et d'effacer les anciens fichiers 'historiques".... comment remédier à ça?

greg 0 votes

A great feature for RekordBox would be the Pro DJ Link shortcut functions by midi.  For example, ... i use rekordbox a lot even in a live setup but now i've installed keyboard shortcuts to load a track to a deck.  ... It would be very great if rekordbox could accept midi codes instead of keyboard strokes so i can use my DJM2000 to load Rekordbox tracks to my CDJ2000 players in Pro DJ Link mode.  ... In that case, i wouldn't have to click on my laptop all the time to load track.  ... i search tracks on my laptop and not with my CDJ's, ... and if i found the right track i use the shortcut to load the track to my players.

So, ... like in Traktor, ... a midi learn function in the rekordbox settings would be great!  And then there's a purpose to use the touchscreen from the DJM2000.

DJ Pierre Le Palm 0 votes

Is there anyway that the CDJ-350 could support the memory functions of rekordbox for example hot cue's? even if you have to cycle through cues 1-5 on the CDJ display then the cue number you select is cue'd on your cue button on the CDJ? i feel a bit mugged for buy a CDJ worth £500 that boasts its ability to use rekordbox, something i must add i really wanted to use, and all i can do with it is make a playlist and put that on a usb stick?

sam kerslake 0 votes

@AngusGibbins

Yes a smart relocation option would be a real help. If the folder structures are the same you should just have to point it at the root folder and RB should do the rest. Adobe InDesign has a similar function for find missing linked images. This would be a great time saver if/when you migrate your tracks to another computer/external harddrive. Otherwise yeh you've basically got to relocate every track one by one. At the moment I'm not looking forward to upgrading my laptop... o_O

Mentz 0 votes

@Nate T > You don't have to relocate every track; provided ALL the tracks you've moved have moved in the same way as the first (eg. moving all the folders/files to a new parent folder), they will figure it out automatically.

Pulse 0 votes

Please add the following option to contextual menu in "Playlist view":

Remove From Playlist ---> Additionally Remove From Collection ---> Additionally Remove from Your Hard Drive

Giona Guidi 0 votes

Export / Import the full Rekordbox settings to be loaded on another machine - through one function.

So we can sync up multiple machines (or back them up - as a whole). I maintain 3 machine through file copies now.

(I know you guys have put time in a step by step for syncing multiple machines, but hey userfriendliness :-))

DJ_LINK2U 0 votes

I use Itunes as my music management software.... I need it to make smart playlists that I then Bridge over to Rekordbox.  So much has improved over the last updates, but 1 is missing meaning I still have to load and analyze in Traktor every new song.

Can Rekordbox please please please be give update that:

Write BPM into MP3 and AIFF metadata of track (like Traktor does)

I need BPM info in Itunes and currently the only way for me to get it is to use a BPM = 0 smart playlist, bridge this into Traktor ... Analyze.

Also write rating to track (again like Traktor) would be a very very useful update.

Cheers

DJ SPiRiTMooN 0 votes

Most of this is opinion but i know there are people out there with these thoughts.... WHY was it chosen to use iTunes as a guide for media management? Not everyone uses iTunes and thus are not up to speed on how it (poorly) organizes their folder structures. Having to go through 3 folders to get to the actual track is painful. Going further, why have a database option for all the stuff that RB uses? It would make a LOT of things easier for people if there was a file created for each track similar to what Abelton does with their .asd file then put that into a database of some sort for searching. 

Reading through this forum and taking into account the way i sort my music, this program is not a viable option for me and looks to have the potential to screw up my library. It is not very intuitive. The concept behind it is great, but how it actually functions is not. I would rather have it just analyze all my tracks for me so i have the wav form, bpm info, hot cues and all that ABOVE searching, playlist, tagging etc. and then just create a 300kb file or something in the same folder as the track allowing the user to maintain their own file structure. I guess I am going to stick to my old school roots of just knowing my music and going from there. There should be a lot more user customizable options and functionality. Everyone's methods are different. This seems to be like one way or the high way. Someone mentioned it in an earlier post... walk before you run. 

Thank you... the hardware is still the most legit ever. Cheers. 

Chris Chimento 0 votes

Another benefit for not using a database to store everything is that if the database gets corrupted before the chance to make a backup happens, the additional file could store all the track specific information while you would only be losing tag and search options (probably) then RB could rebuild the search dBase along with info from the track files. Again, personally... I would rather lose one or two track info's due to corruption rather than the losing all because one file corruption. Its the put your eggs in one basket scenario. 

Chris Chimento 0 votes

You know you can disable the iTunes media management/folder structuring right?

AngusGibbins 0 votes

Can you elaborate? Because I don't use iTunes to manage. I just imported my "electro" folder and it separated everything into artist, album, some other folder and then track. I don't see where to disable this on the latest version of the software. Is this associated with the 'sort' categories under 'export' in the preferences? Reading a couple of much older threads it looks like other people are requesting this as well. 

Chris Chimento 0 votes

Is this in RekordBox or iTunes?  RekordBox has never sorted my music into subfolders (I'm not running the latest version so unsure if it's a new feature) and in iTunes open up the Preferences (under iTunes on OS X, either under File or Edit in Windows), Go to the Advanced tab and then deselect 'Keep iTunes folder organized.' You can deselect Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to Library too if you want.

AngusGibbins 0 votes

Obviously I am talking about RB because this is the RB forum. :D

Chris Chimento 0 votes

Obviously you could've been talking about iTunes when posting this comment:

"WHY was it chosen to use iTunes as a guide for media management? Not everyone uses iTunes and thus are not up to speed on how it (poorly) organizes their folder structures."

AngusGibbins 0 votes

lol - let's not get away from the original topic. I would re-read what you just quoted from me. Being that RB organized my USB stick the same way iTunes would... hence the word 'guide' which would suggest, RB took a piece from iTunes... The second portion, if true that RB mimics the iTunes folder structure still would be accurate. 

Now.. are we done picking apart my post? Do you understand it better? I'm not trying to be a pain here.. but i genuinely think you mis-interpreted it and probably should have thought more before your post leading us to this here and now. 

Reference this post.... http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/20210682-rekordbox-folder-structure-import?page=1#post_21918768

Chris Chimento 0 votes

OK firstly, I am not picking apart your post, I'm picking apart your "picking apart" of my response.

Secondly, 'using iTunes as a guide' could also refer to using the Bridge functionality in RekordBox which for some is the primary means of importing music. If you set up your iTunes library, you can have RekordBox mimmic it exactly, hence using it as a guide.

Thirdly: I did misinterpret your post, but it was an awkward paragraph and fairly open for interpretation. Maybe you should've thought about your words more before posting; methodology might have been a better choice of word than guide. You might have also mentioned you were talking about the export to USB function and not the way RekordBox itself sorts music in it's library.

You don't have to agree with me, but that's why I interpreted your post the way I did.

And finally, I don't really come here to argue about the use of the English language, so if you don't mind, I'd rather move on with the topic at hand.

My suggestion would be to setup Playlists and nested Playlist folders within RekordBox that mimmic your folder structure. Create a playlist called Electro, and then import all the tracks that are in your Electro folder into that playlist.

AngusGibbins 0 votes

Well this doesn't surprise me, reading your other posts in this thread you seem to know it all. But fair enough. 

You suggestion is what i have already done and how i figured out that it sorts the music in that fashion. With that being said i want my physical, in hand media to be how I want it set up. Not the way RB sets it up. This would be so that if I take it to a friends rig i could just play off my flash drive (serato, traktor) where RB or CDJs might not be an option. 

Chris Chimento 0 votes

Hey, Recordbox 2.0.1 is out... See quite some of the remarks from this tread implemented in the new release

DJ BramBo 0 votes

Is it possible to add an export of the Collection data to a csv file (for manipulation in Excel) ?

Karl P 0 votes

Rekordbox 2.01 keeps crashing!! any reasons? running iMac 10.7.4 processor 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB with the most recent iTunes...... It brings to analyse tracks then crashes 

applausedj 0 votes