Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

59 followers Follow

Suggestions for Rekordbox updates?

Couldn't find this anywhere, so thought I might do one after I have been using Rekordbox for a while....

First of all: LOVE the program, but as many other (new) programs it has potential to be better....

1) Sync with folders on your harddrive. Automatically search for new files at startup.

2) "key" feature - finds the key of the tracks.

3) editi/cut in audio tracks... a litlle audio editor would be awesome!!!

if there is a thread for this I apologize.... 

Casper Østergaard

Post is closed for comments.

323 comments

Really need that when pressing the disk in the devices list, and selecting UPDATE - then it actually works. As it is now my disk's dont update so if I have added files to my Itunes since last update, I have to go to the "bridge" and copy the whole folders.

another issue is: if you have a structure with folders and subfolders in Itunes for playlists, you have to copy the whole Folder - to get teh subfolders with playlists updated....

until that works for me, Record Box is taking my time :-)

Flemming Dalager 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

RekordBox 1.5.1 Have alot of good updates in it but still miss alot

I would like to have an option to Export a Playlist as .M3U Format   

so i can edit my playlists fast in a Media Player

X_Indamix_X 0 votes

That wouldn't much help Rekordbox as it wouldn't change the playlist within Rekordbox upon editing.

Pulse 0 votes

I REALLY  WANT to be able to see 2 sorting columns.

I would like to sort by BPM firstly but then see the KEY of each track next to this without clicking into each file.

There is a sort of work around for this that I know of but not really. I use Mixed in Key which can tag my comments field with KEY-BPM but that then only enables me to sort by the Key first, I need to be able to see a list sorted by BPM first then KEY make sense? If mixed in Key wrote the comments field as BPM-KEY I'd be sorted but they DON'T.

Am I missing something is this already possible?

Dave Allardice 0 votes

@ dave. this is currently possible however there are work arounds.

for example. you can create playlists within certain bpm ranges. House 120-125bpm for example, within this playlist you click on the key column to order your tracks by key and right-click this column and select 'renumber track order'.

when you export this playlist your tracks will now be arranged by key (so no need to sort) and you already know the bpm range. you also still have the ability to perform a further 'sort' within this playlist if you need it, for example 'early, mid set, peak, vocal etc', or genre, colour or whatever you want really.

i've used this method for the last year and found it to be the best for me.

Phil 0 votes

@ dave. this is possible if you're talking about the computer software, rather than on the CDJ.

• If we're talking about on the CDJ, I would like to add my voice to wishing to be able to see a second column of info.

New Question:

On the CDJ, is it possible to add tracks to playlists (apart from tag-list)? or edit the id3 tags?

scribblerdnb 0 votes

@ KazPan  & BriChi

I do not think auto call for the hot cues would be a good idea . It would erase the current hot cues ! What are u going to do if u want to use hot cues from different tracks ? NO WAY !

Hot cue banks ?  NO !

Many dj's choose their hot cues on the fly.

The time it takes to call out the hot cues is not that long. It is made this way for a good reason.

Marian Eugen 0 votes

when you load a new track in serato/traktor etc.... it loads the hot cues with it, it would be the same thing

I am sure Pioneer can put in the menu whether or not you want hot starts to load on track load. I have not met one dj yet (I know plenty) that jump around tracks via hot starts, instead they are all questioning why the hot starts do not load on track load, When I explain to them you have to call them up, They all just say, "Thanks, but ill just stick with serato, I want my hot starts instantly" which is my opinion too, When I mix from track to track in quick mix sets, having to load hot starts takes away seconds from each mix I need to setup, I could be a lot quicker if they just loaded automatically. 

Another downfall is if you have already started a track and wanted to jump to a "c" start for instance, you now can't because its playing live. Then if you hit C thinking you loaded it, it now jumps to a totally different track with now easy way to get back other then hitting CUE and starting over. 

In my opinion (and others I talk to), Having to call up a cue nowadays in cdj's has way more cons then pros, Back in the 800 and 1000 cd only decks it made sense and thats what needed to be done, but so many dj's come from serato and tractor and expect them to auto load, having to call them up is a pretty big negative for people who use all the hot starts in a lot of their tracks

BriChi 0 votes

@Marian > If it were a switch (AUTO-LOAD HOT CUES: ON/OFF) then it wouldn't be a problem and everyone would be happy.

Pulse 0 votes

@ Pulse & BriChi

Yes, that would be great. I was just afraid to ask for a new feature when there are still a few bugs with the current ones. :)

Marian Eugen 0 votes

What I wish is there was custom exports for playlist text files that's different from the column order, it's a bit cumbersome to have to reformat it for my radio show, it'd be really handy to be able to export in this format (punctuation and all): 1. Artist - Track Name (Remix) [Label]

AngusGibbins 0 votes

the key feature would be awesome, but why not have an update to make RECORDING easier for the pioneer DJ?

Andrew Navarro 0 votes

@Andrew > Because there are plenty of programs that can do this already...?  Honestly, it's not that hard to fire up Audacity in the background and have the set recorded over USB.  Rekordbox can't handle audio through the ethernet connection.

Pulse 0 votes

Please take of the AIFF- Import problem from Beaport AIFF files to Recordbox. The tag and artwork are not imported from Beatport AIFF files into Recordbox version 1.5.1*. Of course there is a workaround via iTunes,* but I hope you'll be able to fix this.

What is the workaround?  I have to make mp3's in order for them to show up in Rekordbox.

also, Audacity doesn't work with OSX Lion. Just an FYI in case anyone is thinking about upgrading.

jamboe 0 votes

Full "import from USB stick" support for easier migration please !!!

After all we are all mobile DJs with 5 computers and 10 locations, it is impossible to have the collection on all computers.

Because Rekordbox practically can´t be used on more than one PC, this is a basic functionality bug. (i know there is some sort of workaround but it is ver complicated, requires internet access, and it never worked for me)

Give power to the USB, MAKE BACKWARDS SYNCH POSSIBLE!

xyz234 0 votes

"Master BPM" on / off

Checking on would mean that the BPM is automatically matched to a master BPM.

CD player A is master, set to 125.00 BPM.

All tracks loaded into the players ABCD automatically appear set to 125.00 BPM.

(This might be more a CDJ update request than Rekordbox)

xyz234 0 votes

xyz234, how about you just learn to beatmix properly instead of trying to find the easy way out.

Michael Ioia 0 votes

@xyz234 > A "reverse sync" wouldn't be something Pioneer will support for two reasons - the first is the technical hurdle of getting the music into the a new host database, the second is to prevent piracy.

Pulse 0 votes

@Pulse

technical hurdle: as you say, it´s a hurdle, not impossible.

piracy: I don´t understand this point. MP3s on the USB are not encrypted, it is no problem to grab them if you really want. Or make a 1:1 copy. If one thinks a friend´s collection makes him a better DJ, they can also just copy his harddrive. I don´t think anyone who works with Rekordbox would see this feature as a great opportunity to copy music from someone else. I would never let anyone grab my stick - it´s my personal collection and noone´s business

xyz234 0 votes

@xyz234 > With software almost anything is possible, but whether or not it's something they would or would consider implementing is another question.  The piracy angle is the same as Apple; you can't simply up and copy the contents into someone else's iTunes library -- but if you know how, you can get the contents off the device.

Pulse 0 votes

Implementing reverse synch into Rekordbox is perfectly legal.

Apple made a choice to make file handling hard, only because otherwise most big labels wouldn´t have given them their catalogue when they started.

From a philosophical standpoint I find it honorable that you want to fight piracy.

But Rekordbox is not the time and place to do that.

xyz234 0 votes

I use Rekordbox extensively and I am really waiting for some necessary update's.

I use version 1.5.1 (osx) and there are some functions not properly working or highly anticipated in my humble opinion.

• For instance the iTunes bridge. There is a refresh button within Rekordbox, but Rekordbox doesn't refresh it's library when the iTunes library (the .xml file) is changed. This way i have to go to iTunes > save the the library > startup Rekordbox > and replace all the playlists from the iTunes bridge to Rekordbox just to update Rekordbox when i add new numbers to ITunes (my primary database)

• Rekordbox is still very unstable. I still have a few crashes each month. Sometimes Rekordbox also refuses to startup the link function,  when i restart Rekordbox everything works fine.

• The import of album illustration isn't working properly; not all illustrations are imported from iTunes, even when they are present in iTunes

There are a few suggestions:

• Change the (program) background colors! Or at least let the user have that option. 

• Please make use of the album illustration in the Rekordbox software. The only place where i can see and use the album illustration is on my CDJ.

I would really want this function be added in Rekordbox. It would be nice to see and organize your music files not by list (as it is now) but also (as a option) by album art, like iTunes has for years.

• Add a option to organize the lists with multiple rules > it would be great to create or use playlists where you have it (example) ordered by bpm and key and userrating so that you can find tracks that have the same key and bpm.
Adriaan Klaver 0 votes

Just thought of something!

It would also be nice to have a export function of specific playlist (with right mouse click for instance). I would really love to export my tag list to iTunes for instance. (yes i'm very iTunes orientated i know...)

Adriaan Klaver 0 votes

@Adriaan > If you are having problems with crashing, please start a new thread with information from the Rekordbox Read Me and I'll be happy to assist.

As for the question regarding the album artwork, it is already displayed when a track is loaded to the player (within the software), to the right of the time and overview waveform.

Pulse 0 votes