Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

59 followers Follow

Suggestions for Rekordbox updates?

Couldn't find this anywhere, so thought I might do one after I have been using Rekordbox for a while....

First of all: LOVE the program, but as many other (new) programs it has potential to be better....

1) Sync with folders on your harddrive. Automatically search for new files at startup.

2) "key" feature - finds the key of the tracks.

3) editi/cut in audio tracks... a litlle audio editor would be awesome!!!

if there is a thread for this I apologize.... 

Casper Østergaard

Post is closed for comments.

323 comments

@Mike > The model the software operates on is similar to that of an iPod.  Unlike Serato Scratch Live, which analyses tracks directly in their source, the CDJs require that the rekordbox software analyse and export the songs to a device (for stand-alone use).  If you only ever wanted to use your CDJs directly connected to your computer for rekordbox link, you wouldn't need the export.  Unfortunately, this exporting means that if you export to the same device as the source, you WILL end up with a doubling of content on the drive, but this can be beneficial to those who want both the rekordbox-organized database as well as a traditional folder-based organization of their songs by browsing the files themselves.

The only other option is to purchase an additional export device.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

^^ Personally I'd also suggest not exporting to the source. Just asking for trouble (getting damaged in transit, lost at a gig etc)

AngusGibbins 0 votes

@mike
I was running out of space on my HDD so I ran a duplicate file software and noticed 2x+ of the same tracks so I deleted a load. Then when I went into record box. It could not find the tracks so I manually reassigned them to the ones in CONTENTS. A big mistake I learnt afterwards but it took me over 2 months to reassign all my tracks and I ain't starting from scratch again! Just thought I'd let you and everyone know so you don't feel the same pain!

If anything needs updating its the instruction manual so that it is more detailed and tells you what the files actually are and what they do.

Also one for PULSE, is there anything out yet to do a straight convert from pc to mac for all files, playlists, hot cues etc.?

Matt Cooper 0 votes

@Pulse, I know this gets asked all the time and that it is more of a CDJ 2000 issue, but are there plans to allow the hot cues to auto-load from Rekordbox when a track is selected - removing the incredibly annoying time delay issue? Everyone seems to want it, would make sense to develop it?

KazPan 0 votes

@KazPan, that functionality has long been there. After you load the track, push and hold the REC/CALL button (below the ABC hot cue buttons), and your hot cues will load. Is this what you're asking?

kooba 0 votes

no, he is asking for the hot cues to load when the track loads, no reason at all why we should have to "call up" the hot starts, they should load with the track the same way serato and Traktor do. It's a great idea and has been requested since the decks were release years ago

BriChi 0 votes

That would kind of suck, because there are times when you don't want the hot cues to load. For example, lets say that you want to play an intro from one track (could be first 15 seconds, a drop, etc.) and then immediately jump to a different track using the hot cue.

kooba 0 votes

@koobah actually it's something EVERYONE has been asking for. It's foolish that there's no preference or anything to be able to turn the auto load of hot cues on and off. I've gotten over it and just edit all my tracks how I want. Sucks to have to do the run around but when pioneer won't fix what the people are asking for you gotta keep on trucking.

Ån†-li√E 0 votes

yeah, koobah, this would have to be a menu changeable option for people who do not want it and do as you say also, this option would make me come back to the whole Rekordbox LINK feature, Right now I went back to serato on gigs for quick accessed hot starts and stable search (amongst other things RB is lacking). Hopefully one day the decks and RB will be up to par with what I want in them, until then, It's serato in HID mode (which is VERY far from perfect too) 

BriChi 0 votes

Ån†-li√E: Are we talking about the same thing? Having hot cues load automatically when you drop the track onto the player icon in the RB? What does editing tracks have to do with hot cues not loading automatically?

BriChi: Seriously? That has kept you from using the RB, even though pressing the REC button will activate the hot cues for every loaded track? I don't mind the feature being implemented, but this is definitely not the most important thing, especially considering it is "there" just by pressing one button. If Pioneer decides (and at some point they probably will) to implement this into new version, it should be an option. Perhaps I use the software and players differently, and for me, the hot cues never served as a "play" button, but rather enabled me to jump to a different part of the same track or jump to a different track.

kooba 0 votes

@koobah Its not the issue of having to 'call them up' so to speak, its the fact that once you have called them up you have to press all the hot cues in order to remove the time delay that is otherwise caused. So basically before I play a track I have to load it, hold down so that it loads the hot cues, and then press A, wait, B, wait, C, wait... all before I can start playing. If I didn't do this routine and decided halfway trough a song to play one of the loaded cues, I would be met with a 1/2 second delay.. it sounds awful.

KazPan 0 votes

OK, makes more sense now. I still think this should be an option. I use hot cues a lot, and always to pre-listen to them before I play the track.

kooba 0 votes

absolutely, there are a lot of times for big intors I need to jump between 4-5 different tracks one after another and play the main hooks or certain parts so to drop a track, then hold down call and then press the desired button I need takes too long at times, I need to drop a track and be at the hook very very quickly, you cannot do this right now and certainly not reliable, there are times I tried to use the 1 of 10 cue points because it is quicker but that SCREWED me one party one I jumped to the cue and the track just flashed, and froze the deck, I had quickly reload the track and start from the beginning which sounded like shit. at least serato has always been reliable in that area to be able to drop a track and be at a cue point all within 1 second

the other issue is like Kaz said, I hate that if i want to jump to a good cue during the track i cant because i forgot to call up the cues on track load, OR go and hit a cue thinking it is loaded and now it jumps to a completely different song, not fun at all

BriChi 0 votes

I like to use the Cue markets for more than just the starting cues - I use them to keep track of different sections in songs

A feature to just skip ahead 16/32 bars ahead would be awesome - would make this a super quick process

T-Top 0 votes

@koobah I wasnt aware of the issue in Rekordbox.... I only use it as music management and then export everything to flash drives.  I HATE carrying a laptop with me in a club and even more having it between myself and the crowd.  Happiest day of djing was when i played my first gig out with nothing btwn us.  Sounds like you are using the laptop hooked up to the players... 

I was more referring to the hot cues on the CDJ's.  As others have explained there is a delay when calling up the hot cue.  The worst is when you are a bit into a track and forgot to call them up.  So I was saying I basically imagine they aren't there, because the way they work now, is useless to me. 

Hey @Pulse... Is pioneer fixing this anytime soon? Thoughts about fixing it? Anything?

Ån†-li√E 0 votes

@T-top... Love what you suggested about being able to burn cd's with all the rekordbox info.  God, what i would do for that! Just to have cd's as a backup  .... not everyone has players with a USB slot.  

Ån†-li√E 0 votes

@Angus - I do have another backup of my music files, on another source. 

Mike G 0 votes

The hot-cue auto-load thing is on the list and if it is implemented, I believe it would be user-selectable.

CDs will never be able to read rekordbox data.

Pulse 0 votes

+1 for the Hot Cues. Exciting to hear that it's on the list.

I guess we can just wish for a cd style backup.

Ån†-li√E 0 votes

The hot-cue auto-load thing is on the list and if it is implemented, I believe it would be user-selectable.

:)  :)  :)

BriChi 0 votes

Is it possible to make a function when jou delete a song (track) that the option delete from hard drive pops up? "like iTunes"
Greets

DJ TROJ 0 votes

@DJ TROJ Yeah, now you bring it up, show/delete dubble tracks is a good option.

In regards to that... when I do a search for certain dubble tracks in DB and then get the results I want to delete one of them. Del or Ctrl+Del is the action.... but why, why, why does RB then reload the full collection. I would expect that the searchresults are still in view.

@Pulse great news about the hot-cue auto-load thing ;-)

DJ BramBo 0 votes

T-Top wrote: "A feature to just skip ahead 16/32 bars ahead would be awesome - would make this a super quick process"

I have been thinking of the same, brilliant request. This would be a time-saver. 1+ form me :) 

Bjoervik 0 votes

I'm reading more and more rumors that the next gen of Macbooks will no longer have ethernet. Might want to start developing a new connection.

Jason Ronn 0 votes

same here, been looking at them and if they go "Macbook air" like, there will be no ethernet. You can use a usb to ethernet adapter but thats just one more thing that can go wrong so I am not a fan of it

BriChi 0 votes