Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

59 followers Follow

Suggestions for Rekordbox updates?

Couldn't find this anywhere, so thought I might do one after I have been using Rekordbox for a while....

First of all: LOVE the program, but as many other (new) programs it has potential to be better....

1) Sync with folders on your harddrive. Automatically search for new files at startup.

2) "key" feature - finds the key of the tracks.

3) editi/cut in audio tracks... a litlle audio editor would be awesome!!!

if there is a thread for this I apologize.... 

Casper Østergaard

Post is closed for comments.

323 comments

Interesting...  Other than USB or FireWire what other connection could you use though?  There's no way in hell I'd trust wireless to work in a nightclub.

AngusGibbins 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

they would have to go USB in my opinion, it's the most universal and will be around for a long time. I am surprised they didn't just do that in the first place

BriChi 0 votes

TBH I'm not surprised at all.

Ethernet:
- As long as Ethernet drivers are installed will work straight off the bat (with exceptions), standard is the same for PC/Mac
- Ethernet hubs (I don't care what anyone else says, they're hubs, not switches) are generally all the same
- Connection speed for each device is the same, 100mbs

USB
- Requires drivers, which if not coded properly will be disasterous if they go wrong. Which they sometimes do for like no reason whatsoever.
- USB hubs are usually crap, especially self powered ones
- Bandwidth accross hubs and devices plugged into the same USB root hub is shared

AngusGibbins 0 votes

Also… thanks zen desk for not recognising my line breaks

AngusGibbins 0 votes

@pulse This is really great news about the hot ques. I hope that it will be available for usb sticks and harddrives too.. (with exported tracks and playlists from RB)

Anastasio 0 votes

@Pulse, @Tasos. I would hope that everything carries over for the USB hot cues.  Honestly, I don't know why people would EVER want to use a laptop when you can plug and play so quickly.  Carry a few USB sticks and an ethernet cable... not a laptop.  I just like to travel light I guess. As far as a I know there is no difference with using the laptop vs USB.  You can't use the laptop like Serato so why bother? Anyone?  (I am actually curious now, not being rude)

Ån†-li√E 0 votes

@ Ån†-li√E: when I made my comments about the hot cues, I was under the impression that you have a laptop connected to the players. I was not aware of the hot cue issues when using a USB stick. To comment on your statement "I don't know why people would EVER want to use a laptop when you can plug and play so quickly",

I use a laptop, because:

• I can navigate much better on the laptop and find tracks much quicker vs CDJ screen with a USB stick.

• I create and move playlists, move tracks around, rate tracks. On the players, I create new cues, hot cues, loops, which are automatically saved to RB

• I have a huge collection of tracks on my laptop, not all of which are in my RB library, so if I need to play something, I can always import it on the fly.

• I don't have to travel, so weight is not an issue

• I don't have to bother with exporting tracks from RB to USB stick

Personally, I would be severely handicapped if I couldn't use the link function, but I also see why DJs who travel and play short guest sets would prefer a stick. Having said all that, it would be a big plus if Pioneer enabled ID3 tag editing while linked.

kooba 0 votes

@Pulse

Glad to hear that! I am excited to see that Pioneer is continuing to improve their products.

Benno Revelli 0 votes

What about multi-cpu-core support? Im analyzing tracks now, but RB only uses one core. I have to re-analyze my collection because i bought a macbook and it takes a lot of time!

Mike G 0 votes

I confess, that the first time reading about the 'user-selectable' hot cues got me excited - really excited.

Then . . . . it  fizzled out . .

How many of you people will be back here in a heartbeat, complaining that this or that is not working properly?  Or, this and that was missed out?

I will be actually reserved and will be very, very, in fact, extremely happy just for the known issues first get fixed.

Remember, all Pulse said was: The hot-cue auto-load thing is on the list and if it is implemented, I believe it would be user-selectable.”

GlasEye2 0 votes

TBH I'm not surprised at all. Ethernet: - As long as Ethernet drivers are installed will work straight off the bat (with exceptions), standard is the same for PC/Mac - Ethernet hubs (I don't care what anyone else says, they're hubs, not switches) are generally all the same - Connection speed for each device is the same, 100mbs USB - Requires drivers, which if not coded properly will be disasterous if they go wrong. Which they sometimes do for like no reason whatsoever. - USB hubs are usually crap, especially self powered ones - Bandwidth accross hubs and devices plugged into the same USB root hub is shared

I agree for the most part being people with pc's are either 1) dealing with usb drivers like you said or 2) the way it is now they have to worry about firewalls and antivirus every time they update RB, Look at how many complaints there are about pc people not being able to connect, 99% of the time it is firewall/antivirus related and this happens on each update, at least if they went usb, once you get the driver running properly, it sticks from version to version without worrying about blocking of an antivirus program suddenly saying "het i don't like this connection" and blocks it in the middle of a gig which disconnects your decks.

Fortunately i use a mac so i never worry about this :)

BriChi 0 votes

How many of you people will be back here in a heartbeat, complaining that this or that is not working properly? 

We won't be if they add it and it is coded properly so it works as it should :)

BriChi 0 votes

I don't use hot cues as I mostly play trance music which doesn't really lend itself to on the fly edits, however now that the ideas been planted in my head I can really see myself starting to use them to skip through tracks that have too many breakdowns (which is most of them these days :S )

AngusGibbins 0 votes

@Ån†-li√E  i agree, i never ever use laptop. I just believe that when i play, my hands belong over the cdj's and the mixer, never over a keyboard.. But thats just me. And that myth that Laptop's (specialy Mac's) never crashes is really an old one... Just this saturday the other dj who play's with me in the club where i work, had a crush for 3 minutes with his mac.. And not just that, after the crash 2 cdj's (of 4) disconnected from the switch for a few seconds and connected again, so the song i played that time (from my hdd) was interupted by that..

Whatever.. I really hope that update comes to the hdd's and usb stick's too. But then i'm afraid about the load times of a track.. lol We can't have everything..

Anastasio 0 votes

Just remember, the threads are read for suggestions -- it's just a matter of whether or not it's a feasible function within the current hardware / software, whether they can justify the cost of the development within the software, and if it works.  There are lots of great ideas but many take time.

Pulse 0 votes

Another +1 for analyzing tracks on external drives instead of exporting the file again on the same external drive. Or else something like a library creator, like the MEP, but with the BROWSE FOLDER option enabled on the CDJ series.. Double tracks take up a lot of space on the drives and are very annoying with the search function on other devices (MEP for example).

1 music collection should be enough for all devices.

Addie van den Berg 0 votes

New Suggestions List:

- Multi CPU support

-  Additional Backup Database option from the Menu

-  Edit track details while linked

-  Option to edit the 'date added' info.

-  Add choice: Delete file from Rekordbox Database/Delete file from harddisk

- Better USB Syncing 

F!RMWAR3 0 votes

Simple Suggestion - may we have 12 colors to use instead of the current 8...?

I ask this because I'd love to use them for Key information, as per the Mixed in Key Camelot wheel...

Insect 0 votes

Kind of related to the interface suggestion earlier, new MacBook Pro doesn't have an gigabit port, hope the $30 Thunderbolt adapter proves reliable!

AngusGibbins 0 votes

I would like the ability to export multiple playlists all at once.  i.e. some kind of CTRL + Select to batch export in 1 go.  Its tedious having todo them seperately.

Also the export speed is really slow.. Its about half the speed of manually copying the mp3's.  Perhaps look into getting this faster. (Specifically for USB sticks that have bad random write speed)

Nutty 0 votes

@Pulse: but if you want to see the key, you have to scroll down with the jog wheel on the CDJ, no? I've been putting the key field into albums, so it displays as soon as the track is dropped.

kooba 0 votes

Press the MENU button and select KEY to sort, or browse by KEY from the main menu.

Pulse 0 votes

Pulse, I'm not sure we're on the same page here, so just to clarify, you're saying that when dropping tracks via link, it's possible to see the key of the track being displayed on the CDJ, without having to scroll down with the jog wheel every time? My workaround since day 1 was putting the key into the album field, which is displayed below the artist field. If there's a way to display the key field without having to scroll down, your above suggestion has not worked for me. Perhaps you were talking about browsing the library using the player only, not the laptop with link? This is what I got after pressing the menu (bottom pic)

kooba 0 votes

I also put the Key in the comments field.  That way it shows on the screen without scrolling, like you want @koobah.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

Been searching endlessly because I was sure there had to be a function like the one I'm suggesting here, but to my great dissappointment, there wasn't.

I want a way to export history to a mix. Will probably need to be mixed with djm900/djm2000, but that's not really an issue.

Mix export it might be named/called. I simply want to be able to export my gigs/playnights into mixes for later enjoyment. 

Mikael Crazylegs Birkeland 0 votes

@ mikael - this is impossible to do. the cdj's have no way of receiving audio, they just play it. 

you need to buy a small recorder or plug your laptop in to your mixer to record your mix. this is perfectly normal.

Phil 0 votes

I would recommend getting a small recorder, like those available from Tascam.  They are great for taking to gigs.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

I see the new pioneer mixers have a USB slot so you can record mixes straight on a pen. It would be good to see pioneer design an add on for older mixers that could come straight out of the red and white Phonos and record straight to USB.

Matt Cooper 0 votes

If you purchase a portable recorder, then you can do what you are asking about.  Almost any portable recorder on the market can be connected to the RCA outputs on a DJ mixer and record directly to SD Card.

Fuse Promote 0 votes