Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 followers Follow

Best ethernet hub to buy for Pro DJ Link?

any recommendations?

Alexander Zaki

Please sign in to leave a comment.

13 comments

All 10/100 hubs are pretty much the same, the only thing you really need to watch out for is that it's a 10/100 hub and it has enough ports.

AngusGibbins 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

They don't call them "hubs" anymore, they're known as "switches" now.  And as Angus says, a 10/100 with at least 5 ports is fine, you don't need a gigabit switch nor do you need a managed switch.

Pulse 0 votes

Actually, technically if it works on layer 1 it's still called a hub.

AngusGibbins 0 votes

Regardless, when you shop for them, the large majority are now sold as a "switch".

Pulse 0 votes

@ Michel > I also replied to your problem in the new thread you made. But just to sum it up again in case others are lead to this thread...

I believe it has to do with it being 10 Mbps and it may not operate at full speed for the CDJ's. You should consider finding a faster switch, rather a 10/100 or even a 10/100/1000 switch if you really really want. But just a 10/100 should do.

I use the D-Link DES-1008e which is an 8-port switch, but they also make a DES-1005e which is 5-ports. It's very appealing and works great for me. :)

Thanks,

Foster

Foster 0 votes

Okay thanks man! I will order a new one!

Regards,

Michel

michel 0 votes

@ Foster.  is there a chance I would need more than 5 ports?  I see you have 8 ports on your switcher.  I am thinking about buying the DES-1005s but just wondering why or when would i need more than 5 ports?

Eduardo Serrano Suzan 0 votes

A switch and a hub are completely 100% different products.  Do not buy a hub (don't even think you can buy hubs these days).  They work on different levels of the OSI model.

A switch should work.... If you have a DHCP server on your network then they will obtain an IP from it. If you do not then they somehow work out their own IP (I think the DJM900 mixer in my case acts as DHCP host).

Make sure you reserve 1 extra port to connect to your router if you want internet access.  For example if you have a WIFI switch for the decks and you connect your phone/laptop etc via wifi and want them to have internet access also.

Most internet routers (like the Linksys ones for example) have a built in 1gig switch with 4 ports. This is perfect for 1x laptop, 2x decks and 1x mixer.

But... don't hold your breath waiting for your laptop to "find" the decks on the network. It's totally hit & miss I've found.  You will need to reboot everything 10 times and keep resetting your DHCP server then eventually it might just work if you're lucky.

I certainly wont be using it in a live environment that's for sure.  Though the mobile app works great and finds my decks every time, the laptop rarely does (no anti virus or firewalls etc)

Matt D 0 votes

Ive been using a NetGear GS105 5 Port switch for a couple of years now - at 22gbp its throw away money, works a charm and fits in the flightcase with out any issues.. any more ports would only be useful at home i assume for other kit you might want to hook up in the future?

But then the size gets too big to be portable in my eyes...

Matt Jackson 0 votes

Hey guys, I just found these color LAN cables (the yellow and the orange ae hot) but they are cat6, can I use cat6 with PRO DJ Link?  (btw I use the NETGEAR - FS108  8 Port 10/100 Business Class Desktop Switch)

Eduardo Serrano Suzan 0 votes

Cat6 will work ok - just a higher data rated cable... If in doubt buy one and test before buying lots! I use cat6 on my setup as I'm using a gigabit switch - is backward compatible with older Ethernet standards - but you may pay a premium with this cable when cat5 will do!

Matt Jackson 0 votes

Just for fun... here's the difference between a hub and a switch

Hub: A common connection point for devices in a network. Hubs are commonly used to connect segments of a LAN. A hub contains multiple ports. When a packet arrives at one port, it is copied to the other ports so that all segments of the LAN can see all packets.

Switch: In networks, a device that filters and forwards packets between LAN segments. Switches operate at the data link layer (layer 2) and sometimes the network layer (layer 3) of the OSI Reference Model and therefore support any packet protocol. LANs that use switches to join segments are called switched LANs or, in the case of Ethernet networks, switched Ethernet LANs.

T-Top 0 votes