Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

3 followers Follow

Control Laptop Reckordbox with CDJ2000?

I've noticed on the v.3 firmware update video that Serato can be controlled using the rotary wheel on the CDJ, which is much more appealing than using a little mousepad, click and drag etc.

I am looking into possibly using my CDJs in conjunction with laptop rekordbox (for large information display and browsing). But I can't seem to find anything in the forums that has answered my question, which would be great to know before I decide on obtaining a laptop.

Can I control Rekordbox on a laptop using the rotary wheel (or indeed other buttons) on the CDJ2000 to browse, as has been shown is the case with Serato? If so, what are it's limitations? 

Cheers

scribblerdnb

Please sign in to leave a comment.

9 comments

that's good to hear. I can't seem to find anything about it online or in manuals, do you know this from experience, have a link or video link showing how the functionality is?

scribblerdnb 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

I'm know this from personal experience, there's a few videos on YouTube on how to use it too.

AngusGibbins 0 votes

really? I've searched high and low.. if you know of a youtube video, please do share

scribblerdnb 0 votes

what exactly are you trying to do? lets start with if you want to control RB or serato? You can see all the playlists and tracks you create from RB on the 2000's and load the tracks when linked. 

With serato in HID mode, you can control and browse all of serato via the 2000

searched for 5 seconds and found a good Rekordbox linked to 2000 video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3JuL11Y5ZU

BriChi 0 votes

Thanks for your input. Yes I've seen the linking videos like this, but what I'm asking is a bit different.

What I am planning to do (i don't have a laptop, but may get one if this link is a possibility):  Control Recordbox on the laptop, by using the browse/rotary wheel, or other CDJ buttons. Not for Serato, but I have seen on the pioneer official videos, them showing this browseing feature working with Serato, but oddly not with their own Rekordbox on the laptop.

I am aware that you can click and drag tracks into the cdj icons that appear at the bottom of rekordbox when linked to a cdj2000/900. But I'm hoping that there might be a way to browse without needing to touch the laptop, but have the advantage of the big screen. Here's the serato example, around (3min50),  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlZP3-PDkwc

Sorry for not being clear, I hope this helps to explain what I'm asking, thanks for any input.

scribblerdnb 0 votes

I know exactly what you are talking about, I use serato with HID also along with RB from time to time, All the playlists and songs from RB show up on the cdj's window so there is no need to touch the laptop, whatever you see on the laptops screen is on the cdj's screen so there is no need to control rb via the knob, rb shows up on the 2000. they may add it in the future when scrolling and clicking the 2000 knob will also scroll and jump throughout RB on the laptop screen but really, I think it's pointless, Once i "LINK" my Mac to the 2000's over RB, I literally never look at the laptop screen unless I have to use the search feature to find a track quick. If you need a better example of what I am talking about I can shoot a video, But I think you may understand a little but now, Picture it as using serato, without needing serato, all your music and playlists are on the laptop and you browse them via the 2000 and click to load

BriChi 0 votes

thank you. I understand what you're saying.

So it sounds like it's not possible yet. but perhaps Pioneer will see what Serao did and implement their own cdj controller in future firmware.

I much prefer browsing through the desktop version as it allows you to see much more details about the tracks, but would like to keep my hands on the cdj, the rotary wheel is great to browse with.. Essentially just the cdj with a bigger display and better browsing without having to use a crappy touchpad/mouse. 

Thanks for your insight, helps a lot.

scribblerdnb 0 votes

Totally understand what you are saying too, Sometimes I wish the cdj screen showed more detail and that's where the laptop screen comes in handy, So yeah, would be cool if they allowed that for some people

BriChi 0 votes