Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 followers Follow

[SOLVED] Rekordbox not recognising portable hard drive

Hi guys,

I recently bought the following DJ set:  http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/hi-fi-home-audio/pro-dj/pioneer-little-monsta-pro-dj-pack/579173.

With the Rekordbox branded hard drive (250g) I received as part of the set, the Rekordbox software does not detect it's existence when I plug it into my computer. I have recently upgraded to Rekordbox v 1.5.1 and it still does not recognise it. The PC itself recognises that the hard drive has been connected however the software does not. Rekordbox software does recognise a simple USB stick when plugged into the computer but there seems to a problem with the portable hard drive.

Any advice here would be invaluable.

Thanks in advance!

Barry. 

Barry Mark Dubovsky

Post is closed for comments.

14 comments

@Barry > I'm not familiar with the hard drive they've provided, but it's possible that it's been formatted to NTFS.  Are you tech-savvy to find that info or would you like some assistance in troubleshooting?

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

@Pulse > Thanks for getting back to me! So basically I did figure it out (well sort-of). The hard-drive was formatted to NTFS. So obviously the thing to do has been to format it to FAT32. However what I am noticing is that apparently you can only format it 32gig max at one time to FAT32. I had time this morning to format one partition and it was successfully recognised by RekordBox which is great. So does this essentially mean that i will have about 7-8 different partitions of approx 32 gigs each if the total hard drive storage volume is about 250gigs. Is that my only option? It's not the worst case scenario but I may as well find out from yourself...!

Barry Mark Dubovsky 0 votes

Before opening a new discussion, I have had the same problem when I bought a external HD to replace my USB-sticks to put into the CDJ2000s.

The device is a 500GB WD Elements, which has USB3.0 but says it is 100% compatable with USB2.0

So I solved the Partition thing (Thanks to Minitool Partition Wizard) and then RB did find the external HD. I opened the device in RB and then exported all my tracks and playlists to the brand new empty HardDisk. Within RekordBox, I see that the Device is loaded with the exported tracks, and when using the Windows Explorer (OS:Windows 7 Professional), I do see all the artist-folders on the external drive.

But when connection the external HDisk to my CDJ2000, it displayed all the active categories, but when moving through then, the CDJ-screens says: EMPTY.  So what goes wrong here? I went through the forum and found the video about the OSX partition which said something about a Master Boot Record.... So I started all over: formatting external disk, Adding the MBR thing, made 1 partition and allocated a drive-letter. Then back to RekordBox which recognized the device, I selected only one playlist, exported it onto  the device, checked within Explorer that the files were really on the external device and then back to the CDJ2000....... This time the message on the CDJ was worse: NO USB

What is going wrong? Or better said: What am I doing wrong??

DJ BramBo 0 votes

@DJ BramBo > When you used the partition tool, did you make sure that there is only ONE partition on the drive?  The CDJs will inherently read only the first partition and on many consumer portable drives, there is a special data partition (which may appear as a CD drive) containing either an encrypted section for data storage or simply drivers and applications.  Not all partition tools are able to remove these and sometimes a tool is required from the drive manufacturer.  But the bottom line is if you don't remove these extra partitions, the drive will not be recognized by the CDJ, even if Rekordbox does see it.

Pulse 0 votes

@pulse yes it was one partition... I checked other forums and the site of the tool used to help me understand what I was doing ;-)

There was 1partition, but you have to set this as a Primary in the partition settings. That was not the case, so when i reformatted the external HD and did the above, the songs and hot-cue banks work as expected. Think this should be added to the "Read first" tread.

DJ BramBo 0 votes

Great to hear!  There are a few things we need to update on that list, thanks for your input.

Pulse 0 votes

I have a WD-My Passport external hard drive that holds up to a terabyte of memory.

It will not show up on my Rekordbox and I formatted the entire thing to get it to comply with my CDJ's.

How do I transfer analyzed music to it?

Ian Allsup 0 votes

I have the same problem with my WD-Passport Studio drive(Mac), the computer recognises the drive but not Rekordbox.

Any help gratefully recieved!

Jerry Drew 0 votes

@Jerry & @Ian > The engineers are currently tracking an issue with Western Digital drives and there should be a fix in the next update.

Pulse 0 votes

well i got one partition and my hd is fat32 and rekordbox does not recognise my hard disk

Mutty Bellot 0 votes

@Mutty > What operating system are you using and are you in EXPORT mode?

Pulse 0 votes

am using el capitan and i figure it out last night i went to export mode and i saw my hd and i changed to performance mode and i could access my hd but it takes like 2mins to analyze one track and am still have the cue issue when i set a cue point and i hit the cue button the song starts automatically if i hit the cue button again the song goes back to the cue point but still continues to play for me to get it back to the cue point i have to stop the song and use the jog wheel to reverse the song to the cue point

Mutty Bellot 0 votes