Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 followers Follow

Rekordbox doesn't Reload Rating Tag.

Rekordbox doesn't Reload the Rating Tag. Steps to reproduce:

• Have a mp3 file with no rating imported into Rekordbox.
  • Rate the file with Windows Explorer or any other multimedia application and make sure the rating is saved in the ID3 Tag.
  • Hit the Reload Tag button in Rekordbox. The rating just applied to the song is not showing up in Rekordbox.
House Container

Please sign in to leave a comment.

14 comments

Windows can only read up to ID3 tag version 2.3; rekordbox writes ID3 tag version 2.4.  Unfortunately this is not something Pioneer can fix (on the Windows side) and obviously the 2.4 tags are superior to the 2.3 tags.

For the time being, my suggestion would be to either use a 3rd party application to read/edit tags or change them prior to importing into rekordbox.

Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

I also had the issue with the latest version of MediaMonkey. I will check what version MediaMonkey uses for ID3 tags, it is a little bit vague on this. Thanks for pointing me at the cause, maybe I can come up with a workaround.

Your statement that 2.4 tags are superior over 2.3 is not as obvious as it looks like. I even think Pioneer made a mistake by using version 2.4 since this version is not widely supported and has more compatibility issues. See  http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28380 and  http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31312

House Container 0 votes

Also the other way around does not work (rating in rekordbox does not change the rating in T&R)

s_decoster 0 votes

I also use T&R (fantastic program) and their support site says that they support:

mp3 - ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 tags (ANSI, Unicode and UT8 encoded tags fully supported)

Interestingly enough, I changed a comment in rekordbox and it still showed the original comment in T&R, so when I checked it with an analysis tool I noticed that it now has two comment tag fields.  I'll pass the info along to the engineers.

FYI, v3.5.7 is now out.  ;)

Pulse 0 votes

Also the other way around does not work (rating in rekordbox does not change the rating in T&R) --> still not solved in the current version... this problem was noted more than 5 months ago!!!

s_decoster 0 votes

This is a problem with the varying tag versions, but I'll re-open the ticket with this item.

Pulse 0 votes

@s_decoster > The engineers wrote back with this information:

ID3 standard is not defined clearly for the rating-star notation (5 star rank method).

Acording to the specification, "rating" is noted with a numeric value from 1 to 255. Each application defines their behaviour for "rating" in ID3, depending on their design.

For example:

iTunes - does not treat it (rating star is managed only with his DB/XML)

Serato - does not treat it (column does not exist)

VirtualDJ - does not treat it (rating star is managed only with his XML)

rekordbox - reads only when importation from finder/explorer (rating star is managed only with his DB/XML)

If rekordbox reloads the "rating" of ID3, the info imported from iTunes via Bridge will be erased.

That is why, the function "reload-tag" is invalid for "rating".

Pulse 0 votes

Ok Pulse, thank you. I only use tag & rename, i never use itunes (or the bridge).

s_decoster 0 votes

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning being the ID3 versioning. Helium updates the Rating back to ID3 tag in Windows. Why can't RB also be compatible?

Karl P 0 votes

This is indeed very odd... Now i have to tag everything twice (first in rb, then to the actual files in order to keep the rating when i use these songs with other devices or add them to rekordbox on an other computer). This is disturbing.

Will this information also not be updated when using the new rekordbox version with the cdj2000nexus? If not, than the new feature of "rating on the go" is useless in my opinion

s_decoster 0 votes

Please can it be changed so that Rekordbox DOES reload the rating tags?  I also don't use iTunes. I want to rate my music in another app because Rekordbox is just too slow to skim through music.  I don't want to delete and re-import/re-analyse everything again (Took almost a day)

Matt D 0 votes

i use itunes as the source for playlists and ratings and then sync them with RB.... however RB does not update the ratings of the songs... any help with this please?

rafael m 0 votes