Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 followers Follow

Rekordbox doesn' read my MP4 / M4a Tags

Hi to all,

rekordbox is not reading the tags of all my m4a files. What to do to read them? These are files downloaded from iTunes, and NOT PROTECTED.

SilverFox

Please sign in to leave a comment.

38 comments

Morover, i can read the tags correctly with mp3tag, and windows too.

SilverFox 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

@SilverFox > Are you importing them directly or via the iTunes bridge?

Pulse 0 votes

I'm adding them just by drag and dropping from their folder.. not trough iTunes bridge...

SilverFox 0 votes

Can you please post one of the problematic files here?  Thanks.

Pulse 0 votes

Hi, the problem is about the REMIXER tag and the LABEL tag that are not displayed. It's reading only artist, title and album tags.

SilverFox 0 votes

So when you said "rekordbox is not reading the tags of all my m4a files" what you meant was "rekordbox is not reading all the tags of my m4a files", correct?

I'll pass your information along.

Pulse 0 votes

I mean that i have 40 m4a files and in any file i can display correctly the remixer or label tag.

SilverFox 0 votes

@Silverfox > As Pulse requested, can you post one of the tracks here please.

Gavin 0 votes

Ok, in this file i can see the REMIXER tag that is "Commercial 4" ( you can see it with mp3tag software)

SilverFox 0 votes

In this file i have label tag and remixer tag, and i can't see them in rekordbox.

SilverFox 0 votes

The engineers have noted that they tried a couple of the titles with other software:

Serato, Cross: not read 

Traktor: reads only remixer

They are investigating how to support the tags properly within Rekordbox but apparently it's not just them!

Pulse 0 votes

Okay, so a bit more information...

Remixer & Label tags from your files are in "mixartist" and "Publisher" in the metadata.  Unfortunately, not all fields are supported in all software.

For m4a, in general, the format of the tag supported is following : 

http://code.google.com/p/mp4v2/wiki/iTunesMetadata 

(some elements are ignored in music softwares except iTunes)

Elements not treated in iTunes like label, remixer are therefore not supported.

Pulse 0 votes

Ok, understood... so... there is no LABEL tag in that m4a list? :O :O

And, just to understeand... do the composer and the label field of rekordbox have a relationship with one element of that tag list?

So i can just edit that field instead the "mixartist" and "publisher", and everything should be ok...

SilverFox 0 votes

So doesn't the label field of rekorbox have relationship with any of the m4a supported tag list??

and is it the same for the Remixer field of rekordbox?

SilverFox 0 votes

Hi, i use rekorbox 3.2, and it can not read** m4a** why?

Freddy Molina 0 votes

I use m4a AAC files and RB reads them fine, how are they encoded, AAC, AIFF, etc...?

BriChi 0 votes

M4A is a wrapper and can contain either AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) or ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) / ALE (Apple Lossless Encoder), however rekordbox only supports AAC files. It could be that your music is in ALAC format and thus is unreadable.

Could you post one of the problem files?

Pulse 0 votes

Platinum Notes doesn't encode the files itself; it merely modifies them. Can you post one of the problem files?

Pulse 0 votes

Okay, so you are using a re-encoding to ALAC... which, as noted above, is unreadable by rekordbox. Please select either AIFF or MP3 as the output type.

Pulse 0 votes

I wish to explain my process audio files .
The process begins in the following way , down Music file from pool in mp3 ( 320 ), the service I use only this type of files, THEN I use "Platinum Note" to generate a m4a file ( ALAC ) , I do it this way because I worried about losing quality file.

I have been working with RekorBox , and it's great , but does not work with my m4a files ( alac ) , I bring this message to you professions, to hear their recommendations, which program I use to keep quality and can use in mp4 Rekorbox

aif and wave is too large file

Freddy Molina 0 votes

@Freddy > Encoding the output from Platinum Notes to ALAC when your input source file is MP3 is only wasting space. You're better off encoding them to high-quality MP3. You will not notice any quality loss and the output file size will end up virtually identical to the input file.

Pulse 0 votes

(Because I can't remove attachments, I deleted the 3 posts from above.)

Pulse 0 votes

has there been any development regarding this matter yet. Almost all of my music is bought through Itunes and 90% is in m4a format. The only way I seam to be able to solve this is to open each album. Highlight the tracks and create mp3 version. Then create a new folder on the desktop. Copy all the tracks listed into it. Then delete all the m4a so I am just left with the mp3. If this is the case this rekordbox 4 which I have paid for is absolutely useless to me. As I don't have the time to do this. Would take me months. I have hundreds of albums on here. surly there is another solution to this???????

Cdj Gemini 0 votes

@Cdj Gemini > Have you tried using rekordbox 4? Works just fine for me there with iTunes (non-DRM) purchased M4A files.

Actually, I just loaded the same database with rekordbox 3 after the import to rekordbox 4, and the same test tracks worked just fine. Not sure what you're doing differently? Are they DRM'd?

Pulse 0 votes

Hi,

I am having the same issues with 4.1. My files are not drm, just purchased AAC. RB can read the song title, but not artist, album, genre etc. Itunes reads them fine and when I check the file they do have the tags. Any help is appreciated. Pic attached.

Albert C 0 votes

@Albert C > Could you please upload a file to a sharing service and post a link here?

Pulse 1 vote