Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

7 followers Follow

If rekordbox can't burn to cd's, how do you keep it on beat with cd's?

So as every one knows, if you don't analyze your songs with rekordbox, then the tracks will go offbeat after a while when you play them. Then my question is, when you spin with cd's, how to you keep your songs on beat? do the cdj's  2000, 1000 and 800 stay onbeat either way without analyzing? because with the 350, they go offbeat after like a second. I can't imagine that topdj's that spin with cd's will adjust the track every second just to keep it on beat. so my question is, is there a way to burn analyzed tracks to a cd? or does the more expensive turntables keep on beat anyway?

siel de laere

Please sign in to leave a comment.

12 comments

• Tracks not analysed by RekordBox do not go off beat.
  • When spinning with CDs, or vinyl, or MP3s, or WAVs, or off USB stick, memory card, hard drive, or anything, DJs keep their songs on-beat by beatmatching using their ears, like they have done for decades.
  • Any player will keep the beat.
  • You cannot burn RekordBox analysis data onto CD.
Mark90 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink
  • yes, they do go offbeat when not analysed (whats the point of analysing otherwise???)

• beatmatching should only be done once (assuming the bpm is thesame). songs shouldnt be adjusted every second, thats a waste of time

• do not ridicule me

• I know, thats the point of my quesiton, which you haven't answered at all

siel de laere 0 votes

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not trolling, I'll address your points in turn...

• No, they do not, if you beat match them as a DJ should be able to.  The point of analysing a track is to create a beatgrid which enables the Quantization of setting loops and cue points so you can set them exactly on beat without having to be 100% acurrate yourself.  It also provides instant data such as the full track waveform and BPM values acurrate to 1 decimal place, without the players having to do this on the fly, which takes time.

• Beatmatching has to be done whenever a DJ plays a track that has a different BPM value to the previous one.  This happens often.

• I haven't ridiculed you at any point.

• I did, you asked "is there a way to burn analysed tracks to CD" at the end of your 1st post.  I replied "You cannot."  If you want the decks to mix for you, then go get yourself a copy of Traktor and press the Sync button.

Mark90 0 votes

Analyzing of the tracks in RB does not change the beat timing of a song. It only detects the Bpm.
RB does a lot better job than the players at analyzing.

That's why when playing CD's or un analyzed songs the Bmp will change as the song plays through brake downs and such. The song tempo is not changing the players are having a hard time detecting the Bmp.

Morgo 0 votes

Have to agree with Mark, Most djs should be able to beat match, but thanks to traktor there is a lot of djs that can't beat match and rely on the sync button thats why I'm not  a traktor fan.

djsd 0 votes

Mark & Morgo are both correct:

Rekordbox & the CDJ player do not alter the playback of the track itself.  They simply add some diagnostic information about the track.  Specifically, they render a drawing of the track which is visible on the screen, and they report an approximation of the track's tempo in BPM.  Rekordbox does a more complete and quicker job of collecting this information and reporting it back.  Rekordbox also allows for manual adjustment of the data and grid info.

If you do not analyse your music in Rekordbox, then your CDJ player will be forced to analyse it on the fly.  This method takes more time, and it will average the measured tempo over short periods of time.  This causes the BPM readout to change, but it does not affect how the track is played.  Assuming the track has a perfectly stable tempo (which not 100% of tracks always do) then there should be no "drifting" of the tempo during playback.  But the tempo "reading" displayed on the player display may show the BPM changing.   But this is just the reported BPM, not the actual playback tempo.

As for the original question....  how does anyone keep a CD "on beat" without Rekordbox analysis info saved?   The answer is that beatmatching must be done by ear.  When using "on-the-fly" analysis, the BPM reading on the display cannot be trusted.  I'm not trying to be a jerk with this response.  Seriously.

If you are having problems with a track, please upload it to a dropbox account and post the link.  I will be happy to test it out on my CDJ-2000s.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

Beatmatching itself is no problem at all (thanx for the doubt mr DJsd). It is indeed the drifting off that annoys me.

So if i'm correct, when a track is not analyzed in RB, it is very much possible that any song can drift off a little? Meaning adjusting with the jock wheel is something that has to be done even after a perfect beatmatch?

Ok, fine. thats a little bit bitchin but i'll live with it.

Thx for the responses

siel de laere 0 votes

NO the only time songs will drift if the're made with a fluctuating beat. It has nothing to do with the Cdj's or RB.

Morgo 0 votes

Jeez.

Someone really has not got the concept of beat matching at all.

You need to keep tracks together in time of a mix, just because the read out says 128.7 BPM, that does not mean it will hold at that. How do you think vinyl DJ's, like myself,beat matched over the years?

Mark Sweeney 0 votes

As a current traktor user, I just ordered a pair of CDJ-200s. Specifically to get non-rekordbox enabled players. it will be nice to force myself to rely on my ears opposed to to analysed bpm. One day I will get current CDJs but I don't want the distraction of sync. 

garrett Cox 0 votes

<SNIP>

Banned. Flaming is not tolerated, and as it was your first post on the forums, I have zero tolerance.

KON5PIKUOU5 0 votes

<EDIT> Removed the profanity. </EDIT> 

The question was actually pretty legit considering that cd's DO go offbeat, even when perfectly matched. So no, nothing embarassing here besides your dickhead move. Everybody has to start somewhere.

siel de laere 0 votes