Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

17 followers Follow

Rekordbox USB Transfer Speed

Guys, 

I can't take it anymore.

I have a 16gb Transcend USB 2.0 which is brilliant, 2 seconds per track to transfer to USB.

I now have a 32gb Transcend, again 2.0 and the SAME write (16mb per sec) & read speeds

HOWEVER....the 32gb takes approx (I've timed it)....FIFTEEN seconds per track transfer.

I've tried both 1.4 and 1.5 versions, tried swappin USB's, loads of stuff. 

What is the crack? Is there anything I can do?

Deccy

Please sign in to leave a comment.

118 comments

Maybe would be better like this (in the track info). But... then we will have to do all from the beggining again.. (cry)

Anastasio 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Okay, after reading this thread I need to get good SSD. I see the new Lacie rugged thunderbolt/USB3 is out, I guess this wont work due to comments above referring to non compatibility with USB3??

julian Lunt 0 votes

Okay, after reading this thread I need to get good SSD. I see the new Lacie rugged thunderbolt/USB3 is out, I guess this wont work due to comments above referring to non compatibility with USB3??

julian Lunt 0 votes

usb3.0 devices are compatible with the cdj's. You just don't get the usb3.0 speed on them. You only get usb2.0 speed. But when you export tracks from rekordbox at your pc, you get usb3.0 speed. As long you have usb3.0 ports..

Anastasio 0 votes

Hi... i've the same problem, Using Kingston Dataravel G4 64Gb, i'm trying to transfer all library on usb key (24Gb Library) after 5hour it's only at 20%.... i think it's really too slow transfer speed...

Cris Tommasi 0 votes

as a test, how long does it take if you just drag the 24gb worth of music to the drive without using RB.some flash drives wrote speeds are just really slow although I have a USB3 256gb drive and it takes me about an hour to transfer 220GB normal and 5 hours if I use RB and i have another 512gb Samsung SSD that finishes within an hour in RB so it varies from drive to drive obviously

BriChi 0 votes

you installed the newest rekordbox?

afte the last update the transer speed is much better!

Mark van der Lely 0 votes

Hi, I have read all the above and understand all Pioneer's comments. My question is - is there a maximum speed that Rekordbox can write to a device (USB 3 or SD) and if so what is this currently. I ask as there are SD cards on the market with write seeds of up to 260 MBPS but they are expensive and if there is a limit to how fast Rekordbox can write to then I would potentially go for a card with a lower max write speed. Thanks in advance. Aonghus

Aonghus 0 votes

If you got usb3.0 on your system, rekordbox will be use it and will made fast exports. Sd cards are a bit weird. You will need a sd port on your computer that supports these read and write speeds you mention (260 etc). I recommend usb, not sd.

Anastasio 0 votes

Thanks Tasos. I already use USB3 and find it to be a bit slow in writing to my USB3 flash drives. I also have an SD slot on my mac which supports up to 250MB so I'm wondering if this will give me faster write speeds. Maybe someone from Pioneer can clarify this?

Aonghus 0 votes

the SD will be slow, Most SD's if not all have much slower write speeds then USB drives

BriChi 0 votes

Write speeds are entirely based on your device, operating system and computer system. Please bear in mind that your device's specs indicate a MAXIMUM sustained write speed, typically reserved for LARGE single files. When rekordbox is exporting, it is not only exporting the audio file but also the database file, album artwork file, waveform data and memory / cue data... lots of little files, which are generally inefficient to export, especially in quantity.

Pulse 0 votes

Thanks for the info Pulse. understood, however can you give me a rough estimation of the fastest Rekordbox will export at assuming the are no transfer speed issues with either the host computer or the flash drive ? Many thank, Aonghus

Aonghus 0 votes

Aonghus you should check some test sites about real read and write speed, under real life conditions. The read and write speeds that all the company's write in the box, are like 80-90% of the time crap. From my experience the fastest device on a real usb3.0 port is a ssd harddrive (intel or samsung) packed in a good usb3.0 external case. I get about 6000 tracks in under 20minutes extracted on them , with A LOT of cues, hot cues, playlists etc. The fastest usb stick is sandisk usb3.0 extreme.

However, you should check your usb3.0 ports befor you buy anything.

Anastasio 0 votes

It's not the large music files that makes recordbox slow when transferring, it's the thousands of tiny analysis files.  On a Mac OSX computer, use Finder to copy the contents of a Rekordbox USB key to your Desktop.  It will very quickly copy 99% of the key (all the music files), and then choke on thousands of analysis files.  Brutal.

pfaffian 0 votes

There has got to be a better solution to write data to USB drives. I'm currently copying a playlist with 391 tracks at 7.6 Gb and its taken an hour!  How about batch writes or write the music files first then update databases and such on the backend. Large data writes first then smaller data files later but in similar data size groups. Denon's software was not this slow if I recall...

DaMelloOne 0 votes

Since my previous comments where I was having write speed issues I have bought a Sandisk Ultra USB3.0 128gb and it is amazing (pricy though) I am transferring 40 + gb at a time in just a couple of minutes :-) I have also bough 2 Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 64gb sticks (which are way more reasonably priced) and they are equally as fast. Highly recommended :-)

Aonghus 0 votes

@tasos

the transfer speed with an USB 3.0 device isn't as fast as it could be, that's the frustrating part of it.

Mark van der Lely 0 votes

so with 3.0 you see significant improvements with playlist extracts to USB drives from rekordbox? enough to justify the costs?

DaMelloOne 0 votes

Not every usb3.0 device has to be as fast as the technology usb3.0 is. There are many crap stick's, they say they are usb3.0 and they are slower than usb2.0. We all recommend on various topics on this forum usb3.0 sticks, so make your choice, buy one of them, and you see the difference yourself. Off course there is no reason to buy a usb3.0 stick if your pc or laptop doesn't support usb3.0...

Anastasio 0 votes

No use arguing about USB 3.0.  Even if you use the fastest USB 3 stick, the transfer speed is still slow as hell due to the thousands of files being copied over.  The issue is not the speed of the transfer, it's the number of files.

pfaffian 0 votes

pfaffian i gave a solution a few post ago, which give you the speed of 6000 tracks in under 20 minutes. If that's not enough for you nothing can't be done.

Anastasio 0 votes

@tasos you really didn't give a solution because someone else posted slow write times as well with 3.0. The way rekordbox writes data, I can't see it making that much of a difference. Saving metadata to the file instead of separately would make a huge difference. There should be a universal way of doing this so that once a track is analysed, it's compatible with all digital systems.

DaMelloOne 0 votes

Ok... I didn't. So what do you think is more feasible? You get yourself a proper usb3.0 device that we all recommend here, or pioneer changes the whole rekordbox programming....?

Anastasio 0 votes

The USB 3 device doesn't help.  Pioneer must change the way they export tracks.  A simple way to do this would be to use a single file database for the metadata (sqlite would be a good option).  Another option would be to zip the metadata.  Either way, reducing the number of files by a couple orders of magnitude is the only way this problem will be solved.

pfaffian 0 votes

You realize that these things can't be done, because the cdj's are based on that system, right?

Anastasio 0 votes

We can go back and forth all day about USB technologies and such, but the fact of the matter is write times are slow to USB devices from Rekordbox and it seems that 3.0 is hit or miss. And since the CDJ'S are still reading only at 2.0 speeds, I can't see the justification in costs. The engineers at Pioneer should come with a solution to this because it's unacceptable with today's technologies. 

Yes Pioneer should want to make their customer's happy shouldn't they?

DaMelloOne 0 votes

I think that given this rather crippling speed issue Pioneer would be warranted in updating the CDJ firmware to read a single file metadata database.

pfaffian 0 votes

Probably a carryover effect from the MixVibes collaboration. I remember one DVS used to write metadata separately from the music file after analysis effectively doubling the amount files written to a drive. 

DaMelloOne 0 votes