Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

7 followers Follow

Aiff not supported in iOS

Hi, 

What is going on here? Is Pioneer not taking music seriously? Why is it only possible to use all these fancy (and usable) new features if you play low quality music files? 

I just received 4 x CDJ2000 nexus today and tried to connect them with an iPhone, but it wouldn't play any of my files (they are all Aiff). 

I hope Pioneer is planning to make this possible in near future? Anyone know about this?

Lydudlejning Net

Post is closed for comments.

18 comments

This information was clearly in the Rekordbox App release notes. And this has been discussed over and over on the forums. We've made the suggestion.

Gavin 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

In what release note? And even if it was clear in the Recordbox release note it was not clear on the CDJ2000 nexus specs. 

What suggestions have you made? Is it not you that make the choices?I looked for it in the forums, but didn't find much on the topic. If it has been discussed over and over, why don't you do something about it.

Don't get me wrong, I use Pioneer equipment every day and it's the tools I use for putting food on my table. But please, don't be so fancy with "oh now you can connect your iPhone, iPod and iPad" if you don't take it all the way. For me it's useless as I only use lossless files. 

Lydudlejning Net 0 votes

Hi, I don't remember how it came to my attention, but I think I was the first to mention the lack of AIFF/WAVE support in this RB-app.
http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/21869461-rekordbox-app-more-than-a-gadget-for-cdj-900-2000-owners

Just checked the rekordbox app announcement by Foster and indeed, this limitation is not mentioned there.

But hey, if you take music seriously, you do NOT use a WiFi connected smart phone as a source in a professional music sytem....

DeAl 0 votes

True with the WiFi, not sure how stable it is, that would come to a test. But it's possible to connect with a cable too. But your right, I would probably not use a phone, but to use an iPod would be great: Being able to listen and organize tracks from your hole music collection on the go on the same device you connect with the player. 

Lydudlejning Net 0 votes

I just don't understand why AIFF support is not implemented in the App. 

Can anyone give a good explanation for this?

Lydudlejning Net 0 votes

its not the app thats causing the problem here... its apple!

aiff is not supported in the iphone / ipod  as apple see these as a portable devices with limited capacity -

the ipod classic is the only device that might just about have enough capacity to take my whole itunes library, but wouldnt take it all uncompressed. most of my stuff is mp3 320... and all seems to work well.

as echoed from above, i dont feel this app is really intended to be a professional club dj solution - do you know many clubs that actually have cdj2000s leat alone the new nexus series... let alone pro link wifi netowrks lol 

Matt Jackson 0 votes

correction... my old ipod doesnt support aiff... but my new classic does!

check to see if your device does support aiiff here > http://support.apple.com/specs/#ipod

either way i still wouldnt want aiff files all over my phone taking up dodgy nightclub pix or video opportunities ;o)

spose that all depends if your a dirty rotten scoundrel or not lol

Matt Jackson 0 votes

AIFF is supported by iPhone and iTunes. It was developed by Apple in 1987. All my AIFF's play just fine in iTunes on my iPhone 4, so this is not the problem. This makes me believe that it is a choice of Pioneer to not integrate it. Why I really don't get.

Lydudlejning Net 0 votes

apple did not support aiff on all of its mobile devices as i have one that will not play aiff... and its well documented on their support website - yes the new ones do (or many of them do), hence correction to post as above...

im fully aware of the history of aiff, wav, flac and all other music formats dating back to atari / commodore days... aiff was going way before apple got hold of it and tinkered... i digress!

More to my point - what exactly is this app for... as im sure its totally pointless in a true working dj environment - its simply not practical!

Off out to DJ with the Ratpack and Nicky Blackmarket... cdj1000 mk3 and 1210 styleeeeee :o)

Matt Jackson 0 votes

For me it would not be pointless. I would like to use an iPod as my music source. Then I would always be able to play unplanned gigs and just transfer playlists from itunes to the CDJ2000. That would be great. And listen to the prepared music on the way to gigs on the same device.

I see the point.

Lydudlejning Net 0 votes

@Matt iPhone supports playing back AIFF and WAV files.

Even if it didn't, this has nothing to do with whether Rekordbox on the iPhone support the files or not.

Rekordbox mobile is only passing along data (sound files) to the players so all that should matter is whether the players support it or not.

Didier Malenfant 0 votes

It would be very useful to use the app to set beatgrids (ON AIFF FILES) while on the go and then sync the changes you made to those tracks back with your collection on your computer.

Who says the app only has to be used for wireless?

jamboe 1 vote

But then again, I'm still trying to figure out what "update collection" ever did.  LOL

jamboe 0 votes

im still not seeing the perks of this app on an iphone, for me the device is too small to to obtain the accuracy needed to place cue markers and modify beat grids... might be ok for 4x4 dance that tend to analyse perfect, but i know for lots of my 80s stuff the dynamic grids always need attention after they have been analysed.

@didier, id already said about aiff on the latest apple devices... did you not read it?

@jamboe, i assume you are only going to work on a few aiff's while on the road and that your phone has very little in the way of personal apps, video or pictures? My iphone is jammed with pictures, random video clips and apps... i really dont have any room to load 1hrs worth (~16 12" tracks) of aiff files at ~80meg each.

I still think rekordbox on the mac/pc is a much better place to edit cue markers and loop points - this app for me would be ideal to drop a track to the next deck while im at the bar waiting for a beer - pending i couldnt get back in time... and thats about it!

Matt Jackson 0 votes

Ok, lets stop going round in circles.

It has been requested that the mobile apps support AIFF - for this inclusion, it probably means increased licensing fees.

Personally, I don't see any club DJ using this app except for preparing a few last minute tracks on the go or some last minute requests. I don't see a club DJ djing exclusively from his phone (I could be wrong). 320k MP3s are, for the most part, perfectly acceptable music formats.

Gavin 0 votes

Resurrecting this discussion. I also would like to use the Rekordbox iOS app for placing cue markers and modifying beat grids while on the go, and then syncing those changes back to the Rekordbox library on my Mac. I have no need for streaming the files to my players during performance. Most newer iPhones support AIFF and WAV. What do we have to do to make this feature requests a reality?

Joe Arauzo 0 votes

AIFF and WAV are not supported on iOS due to limitations of the iOS system and the file sizes associated with those formats. Unfortunately this is not something that will be changed, sorry!

Pulse 0 votes