Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

5 followers Follow

SUGGESTION: BPM RoundOff

I have a suggestion for RekordBox Analysis settings:

Have the option to round BPM's to the nearest whole number (and a BPM range, so that DnB shows up as 174 BPM instead of 87.... eg. If BPM = Below 90, double the tempo)

99.9% of the time if something is showing as 127.99%  it's 128 - I'd rather find the ones that are off by 0.01% on my own, I'm sure lots of people would agree!

T-Top

Please sign in to leave a comment.

7 comments

The issue I see with this is that the tempo reading is derived from the actual beat grid.  I've seen many times that when the tempo reads off (like 127.05) the beat grid is off and is not the correct tempo, thus needs adjustment.  The error would typically show up in a loop and its quantizing would be off and not sound right.  I'd rather the BPMs perform as intended because that's the first clue to me that I need to adjust the beat grid across the track and not just sliding the first beat.

It'd be nice to sort in whole numbers, and what would be killer is a 2x and 1/2x button for the tempo to help correct the analyzing errors that are especially present with D&B, dubstep and trap.

pope 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

arrrgh...it's late, and there's no edit post feature:  what I meant to say above is the 2x and 1/2x buttons to work across a range of selected tracks.

pope 0 votes

I find that even when it gets the BPM right the beat grid is often off anyways

T-Top 0 votes

In my experience it selsdom gets the BPM correct ...... even when it says 128.00, if you then over type and enter 128.00 you'll see the beat grid shrink or expand very slightly .... as if its got 3 decimal points, but only shows 2 (128.005 etc etc)

DJBostonGreen 0 votes

i know by saying what im about to say will go totally against the grain here... but who cares about the bpm being 0.00x out... im not too bothered if the analysed bpm is 1 or 2% out.... ive given up using the readouts as very few tracks have the bpm bang on - and relying on this in the club is madness, jsut makes you look a complete plumb... you should be using your ears and not your eyes!

but at the same time i tend to agree with the comments above on the basis that this software has been sold as part of a package to get the bpm correct.  why this still seems to be a problem going back to its original launch in 2009 is beyond me  - when the likes ot traktor & serato seem to do a very good job?

whats so good with thier bpm analysing engine that mixvibes cant seem to grasp?

I still think pioneer could have delivered something a little better than using mixvibes - which was hardly cutting edge tech in the world of djing... why mixvibes pioneer?!?!

Matt Jackson 0 votes

I agree with you Matt about it shouldn't or don't matter and that we should use our ears.... Unfortunately that is the way "US" old salty dog dj's look at it. Today's dj is a whole new breed. They start of with s/w giving them the bpm's and syncing everything together. So we have to embrace today's technology  and use what we can to help us be even better. The good thing is... We have our old school skills to fall back on when things don't work right. Some don't. I also believe that if a product says this is what I do... And these are the features I have... Then it should work accordingly. Why Mixvibes?? IMO it's probably because it was cheap. I never heard of them until Pioneer introduce them. I would assume a you scratch my back, I scratch yours agreement. Mixvibe grows from Pioneer's promotions. And Pioneer do have to pay the money to create a whole new s/w from scratch since mixvibes had this in place already.... If I had to guess.....

DJ Pete 0 votes

BTW, the software has 1ms resolution, at least as observed from the behavior of the XML interface.

not going to get into the merits of bpm counters and sync, but I do want my samples and loops to behave just like my keyboards...

pope 0 votes