Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

Is it possible to add another marker to beat grid ?

Some grids do not stay in through out the whole song so on other programs when gridding a track i would add another marker after a break down and pull the grid back in from that marker so it doesnt affect the grid before this point.

Can this be done on RB? 

LeeHardy

Please sign in to leave a comment.

13 comments

In the beat grid adjustment mode, there's a button in the far right of the beat grid tools that allow you to place a new tempo marker, where further adjustments are anchored.  I've been using these for tracks that sweep tempo.  You can go wild with them, and it gets annoying to deal with.  If it doesn't turn out the way you like, you can reanalyze the track and you're back to square one.

pope 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Yes i found this in the far right, you can add another marker and all the previous gridding is locked out but it wont allow me to use the left or right movement buttons once i turn this button on which is pretty pointless isnt it? 

Do i need to change my settings to dynaminc (currently scanning on standard.

In any other program its as simple as adding this extra marker like rekordbox allows but then you can usually just move ur grid left or right as the tempo doesnt need altering. 

LeeHardy 0 votes

@LeeHardy, you don't need to be locked on a grid marker to 'freeze' the prior portion of the track - it can be done from any point on the waveform.  So long as you engage the 'forward only' tool (I don't know what else to call it) on the new transient, it should effectively shift the grid for you on the forward portion of the song, at the track's native BPM.  

Fox 0 votes

I think you're gettin it wrong ....

Basically the first half of the track is fine and all on the grid. Then the second half drifts off the grid. If I move the grid to fit the latter of the track it then moves the grid in the first half.

This is why you need to drop a second marker as its drifting and pull the grid back in line with the track.

LeeHardy 0 votes

the way this works in music as well as the software is to think of it like this:

you set the first beat and the tempo at that point (this is called the Inizio, btw.)  Follow and adjust the grid to keep all beats aligned until you find the point where the new first beat at the new tempo starts (this becomes a new tempo marker.) and you adjust the grid from that point on.  Note that you can not slide the entire beat grid because you now have two (or more) independent beat grids (otherwise you'd wreck the prior grid(s))  If the tempo slides, then you need to drop new markers as needed to cover every measure's new tempo (or down to the beat beat if the swing is really extreme.)

pope 0 votes

Drifting is a bit trickier as this suggests a gradual change in tempo - in your first follow-up post you said 'the tempo didn't need altering' which suggested a simple midstream beatgrid shift.  If it's the latter, the function does exactly what you're looking for - for example, let's say in the first half of your track the transients are on the downbeat, then shift to the upbeat partway through; when you go to engage the 'freeze prior beatgrid' function, do so with the marker positioned precisely on the first upbeat where the change occurs.  That way the beat grid will carry on at the original BPM, only shifted to line up with the new transients.

Said another way, if you engage the 'freeze prior beatgrid' function while locked on an existing marker, you're right, there's no way to subsequently shift the forward portion of the grid.  However, if you're off the existing grid when you enable the function, the forward portion of the track is automatically shifted using the new marker as it's anchor and continuing at the track's original BPM.  

If it's not that straightforward and there's actual drift (i.e., variation in tempo), RB is a rigid application for the required adjustment.  

Fox 0 votes

Yes that's correct but in some cases the tempo remains but just drifts off the grid so I want to drop a marker and pull the latter of the grid back in place with out effecting the grid before this point. You can do this on traktor but not on rekordbox. As I said it allows me to drop a marker but then greys out the move grid forward or back

LeeHardy 0 votes

I am dropping a second marker and just tryin to move the latter of the grid but I can't because the move left or right buttons are now greyed out after dropping the marker

LeeHardy 0 votes

Notice when you drop the new marker, that's when the latter section of the grid shifts - you can't do it after.  That's why placement of the new marker has to be spot on.  

Fox 0 votes

Ahhhh it makes a bit more sense now, so i am guessing you turn off the Quantize button in Rekordbox (Top left) then drop the new marker and the later will all shift.

If thats the correct way it makes sense now, i will give it a try when i am home from work. Thanks alot.

LeeHardy 0 votes

For songs that change due to drift (not the kind that have 2 distinct tempos), you may consider warping them to a consistent beat with software like Ableton Live.

Pulse 0 votes