Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

1 follower Follow

Can I just keep my Rekordbox application library on a big portable drive?

My setup varies when I DJ depending on my mood and type of gig. I either use straight USB/SDcards or Traktor in HID mode w/ CDJs. The way I organize my library is I keep everything in iTunes which I organize very meticulously (Smart playlists etc) I then use the iTunes bridge in Traktor and Rekordbox depending on which one I want to use. My music library is about 200GB. 

Right now my Rekordbox workflow is to import into Rekordbox via the bridge and then export to an SDcard or USB drive. 

I'm thinking why don't I just keep my iTunes, Traktor and Rekordbox libraries on one external. They all reference the same files. Is there a way for me to plug my 500 GB USB harddrive into  the CDJs and have all my music come up in Rekordbox format (overviews, keys, playlists ect) without making duplicate mp3s on the drive. I know you can browse a hard drive via folders but that's really cumbersome. 

Any help is super appreciated. 

Mike Fisher

Please sign in to leave a comment.

2 comments

the problem is RB will duplicate all your files then because you import all them from the external to analyze and organize and then when you export that library it exports the tracks too to new folders so now it is taking up twice the room for each track

BriChi 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Yeah I guess my question/request was it would be nice if it was possible for CDJs to read the native Rekordbox library off a harddrive plugged into them seeing how its essentially all the same data. 

Mike Fisher 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink