Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

6 followers Follow

[SOLVED] 2 many djs don't use rekordbox...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87sk4lmPhZ8

It is very striking that they just use their usb sticks without using rekordbox! I wonder why...Because it is very easy to learn so time can't be the reason...

s_decoster

Post is closed for comments.

18 comments

If they are using a USB stick, they are using Rekordbox... And a lot of djs are not using RB anymore because it don't work the way its suppose to. There are issues that they are not willing to chance during a live set... Pioneer dropped the ball IMO with RB not making it a priority. Now we see dj's ;ile Carl Cox who looked like he was committed to using RB now using Traktor. And if your gonna use Traktor? You dont need 4 cdj's at $1600 bucks a pop.. I have seen djs using Cd's with these players.. Its really disappointing.. But if there are using a USB stick? There are using RB...

DJ Pete 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Pete, they use a usb stick without rekordbox (watch the video). And that is perfectly possible. But i just wondered why, because using it this way has a lot of downsides (such as slow reading of bmp's or the graphical soundwave...). It's shocking considering they are one of the world's best dj's...

s_decoster 0 votes

some guys look for ease, download some tracks, throw it on a drive and go, They can care less about the BPM showing up fast and the wave. 90% of the time I dj I barely look at them too. It is cool to have if you are not 100% familiar with a track to see the highs/lows, builds and drops but when you're doing sets that you know the music in and out, BPM and waveform isnt the most important thing to some. 

You are correct that they are not using RB, they just drag tracks to a stick, plug in and play

BriChi 0 votes

Pete, your video belongs more in the mixer section of this forum, but it's a fresh and new video, so thanks.

2 thoughts:

• I hope working with serato is not an excuse to lose focus on rekordbox. I bought the DJM900 and cdj2000s so that i did not have to buy stuff as serato or trakor and i totally rely on rekordbox. With introducing a serato mixer, they may give mixed signals that using serato is more beneficial then rekordbox...

• Pioneer should focus more on rekordbox since this is the cornerstone for all their high end products (cdj2000nexus, DJM900 nexus...). There are still too many problems. E.g. my problem raised at http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/25392953-wrong-beatgrid-and-cue-points

It would be great if the official moderators react faster on such topics, even if it is only to let us know they have read the post or have forwarded it to the engineers. That would give me the feeling they still care...

thanks!

s_decoster 0 votes

I posted the video because i think... IMO that it speaks volumes that Pioneer has lost faith in its RB program... They can't get it to work properly, and it see's a lot of djs dropping RB and using other programs.. So if you have the option to still use a Pioneer product and have the power of sera to behind it?? What are you gonna use? RB or Serato??? I would have to think serato

DJ Pete 0 votes

Rekordbox and Serato are not even the same type of software... they are intended for two entirely different functions. Rekordbox is merely for analyzing and organizing your tunes and preparing them so that you can roll up ANYWHERE with just a flash drive and go. No computer, no fuss, no special mixers or sound cards or 8 RCA cables. Pioneer is not meant as a playback software.... the decks do that! It makes no sense to me why people would ever use a CDJ2000 Nexus as a controller for software. Totally negating the function of it and the specialty of the player.

Christian Jackson 0 votes

I think the issue is as much the direction of the market and the way that leads companies to respond with gear.  Serato DJ is great, BUT it is laptop/PC driven and that makes it another animal all together.  RB and the ease of use with just a drive is the ultimate set-up for a DJ IMHO.  The issue becomes reacting quick enough to a concern by a user and then testing out the concern and then gathering more information and then answering the concern.  If things moved as quickly as we wanted, the answers and changes would be daily, but not always the case.

Also please realize that posts are all read, even if not replied to immediately.  I will mention to the boys about a response even without a solution if that helps with questions.   

Jay 0 votes

@ christian: With the DJM 900 serato, there will be less fuss since it will have the built-in sound card, but i agree, i prefer just a usb.It's better to look at the public than at a screen :p  I think a lot of dj's use the CDJ's as controller for this software since they know CDJ's are the standard setup at 90% of the clubs/festivals...

@djjay I agree that the issue becomes reacting quick enough to a concern by a user. I understand solutions can not follow the same or next day. However, I think it would help if you get a reply on your concern so that you know how it is processed (do they indeed agree it is a big concern or is it a detail for the far future?). I think a message such as "we will pass this to the engineers, we'll get back to you in 2 weeks" provides more clarity then just not responding. In this way the user knows they are looking into the problem, and maybe also what to do in the meantime. In my case I am wondering "should i wait with an update because i can mess things up or should i just try myself with trial and error". If you know there will be a response, or if you immediately know the problem can't be solved, then at least you have some information to take action.

Thanks for the replies!

s_decoster 0 votes

I agree that far too many DJs who use the CDJ-2000s refuse to use Rekordbox.  It is quite frustrating because I believe that most of the issues people have complained about over the years have been largely due to a stubborn refusal to learn how to use the software and players correctly.

Fuse Promote 0 votes

I agree Fuse, most people I know with 2000's wont use RB because they're lazy and don't want to convert their library from serato to RB and re-do all their cues.

for me , i have no issues at all, I just want some requested features added

BriChi 0 votes

@ Fuse. I think rekordbox is fairly easy and I like the software. If people are too lazy, they don't deserve to be a dj ;-)

Although i love the program, there are some issues left. I have the problem that all my cue points are 30ms wrong (link of the article is somewhere above). I tagged more than 1000 songs x 10 cue points (I mostly use all the cue points) = more than 10 000 cue points. 10000 cue points to re-do is a lot of work, and although i am not lazy, it is a waste of time to do everything twice. I think I am going to redo everything using aiff's but I would go crazy if something like this happens again. That is mainly the reason why I am always hesitant to upgrade the program.

But I hope we can look forward to a bright future. Rekordbox is used by almost all hardware pioneer brings on the market so it is in my eyes as important as the hardware. Hell, even more important since we can keep our library even when we update from 2000's to 2000nexus to what might come into the future.

cheers!

s_decoster 0 votes

I think rekordbox is fairly easy and I like the software. If people are too lazy, they don't deserve to be a dj ;-)

Couldn't agree more!

BriChi 0 votes

Having the waveforms on the computer as well as the cdj's/aero/r1 would be great too :)

Aristotle 0 votes

Yes it would be nice to see the waveform in RB.... Like Denon's Engine S/W that is brand new... And RB has been around longer.

DJ Pete 0 votes

If rekordbox was a DVS then it might have the waveforms play on screen but its not, so it doesn't - rekordbox is a music management system.

Gavin 0 votes