Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

4 followers Follow

[TICKETED] Rekordbox for iOS annoyances

I could be throwing my iPhone at high velocity towards a very hard surface very soon.

I am trying to transfer a 600 track playlist from Rekordbox to Rekordbox for iOS over wifi, but at varying points (having tried 478932897473892794 times) it drops the connection. Now rather than just continuing where it left off from last time, it has to start all over again. I am sat next to the router.

Firstly: why can't we use a wired connection? Copying large volumes of tracks is PAINFUL at best over wifi

Secondly: if the copy fails because of a disconnection, why does it remove what it's already copied meaning I have to start the process again (and again?)

Thirdly: if we have, say, 4GB of music on our iPhone's, why does Rekordbox need to import that music again into itself? We don't need to waste space by duplicating that music to then take up 8GB of space - surely there is a more elegant solution?

Thanks.

Kieron Y

Please sign in to leave a comment.

23 comments

yup! Thats pretty much all I can say, I have had the same complaints since its release

BriChi 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Thirdly: if we have, say, 4GB of music on our iPhone's, why does Rekordbox need to import that music again into itself? We don't need to waste space by duplicating that music to then take up 8GB of space - surely there is a more elegant solution?

you can use the "import" feature on the phone in the app to import music into RB that's already on the phone

BriChi 0 votes

Yep, that's what I mean. Why do we need to import the music files into RB when they already exists on the iPhone anyway?

Traktor DJ for iOS doesn't need to duplicate tracks, for example.

Kieron Y 0 votes

I agree 100%, That app needs to be re-designed from the ground up. There's not even an iPad app, There are many annoyances and there is so much potential and so few updates to improve anything, The latest update only added 2 new features for a toy controller instead of adding features for their flagship decks. I don't get it, AND they release another toy controller, the R1, with Remotebox which blows away the RB app, again, I don't get it

BriChi 0 votes

Id have to agree again with BRI

Android and IOS RekordBox are poorly designed ... and need starting again from scratch!!

DJccccc 0 votes

I have the same complaints as you. The iOS app for me is totally useless. I removed it after a few hours and I'll never install it again.

Julia O 0 votes

I was just about to right the same complaints down, after trying to find better work arounds to transferring files over wifi and the whole issue of importing songs that already exist on your iphone / ipad.

No response from them yet huh? 

Jnr Tirso 0 votes

I was about to write a post but everyone here has the same issues I have with IOS. Especially the starting from scratch when the wifi drops out. 

Any response from Pioneer yet or are we left here in limbo.

Jnr Tirso 0 votes

apparently I said the exact same thing in January... facepalm. I give up. 

Jnr Tirso 0 votes

The app is constantly evolving, but connection issues with your wireless network are hardly Pioneer-related. I'll make a note for the engineers to investigate the comments about the wired connection however I believe that is not available to the app due to Apple's restrictions.

Pulse 0 votes

Hey Pulse,

Thanks for feedback. I noticed when I transfer music using iTunes and open Rekordbox that I can see the playlist but need to add every song one by one. Or do I miss something?

Kevin T 0 votes

I no longer use the iOS app, still, due to the issue I raised in December 2013. 

With respect, Pulse, the slopey-shoulder response of "but connection issues with your wireless network are hardly Pioneer-related" doesn't treat those with many years of IT support experience behind them (like me), as well as the rest of Pioneer's customer base, with customer service at the forefront.

The app is poor and could improve ten fold. A remedy to the original post, being the start. Request that your devs create a more elegant solution to potential connection breaks, caused by A) your app, or B) a consumer wifi connection, please, if you can.

Kieron Y 0 votes

@Kevin T > You can use the sync manager (lower left) to synchronize the entire playlist all at once.

@Kieron Y > I have already requested that they implement some kind of "resume" function, but whether it can/will be implemented is unknown. There are so many variables with respect to a mobile app, the device, the wireless network, the computer and program that it's often hard to trace where exactly the error occurs. Pioneer makes attempts to replicate reported issues and faults, but it's virtually impossible to have all elements identical to a customer's setup.

Pulse 0 votes

I appreciate that, Pulse, and from my 15 years supporting such work, I fully understand your theory behind that statement.

But, this is Pioneer's challenge. You have the resources to remedy this, and it wouldn't be the first time a company has had to rectify something such as a simple connection break to keep a file transfer, of many GB's going smoothly until final completion.

'Transfer resume' will help. Thanks for ticketing it.

Kieron Y 0 votes

Hey, I'm on your side with this one... I also know how the buck gets passed around. A perfect example is when Apple broke the core audio functions and every DJ was freaking out at Pioneer because all of a sudden their products wouldn't work. All Pioneer could do was poke Apple to fix it!

Hopefully they're able to implement this kind of fix and in a timely fashion.

Pulse 0 votes

Pulse, I'am on my iPad. I don't see any option to import the music from a playlist at once.

Kevin T 0 votes

@Kevin > Could be confusion due to terminology...

If you are looking to import a playlist already in rekordbox, from rekordbox (desktop) to rekordbox mobile:

First, open rekordbox mobile on your iPad.

Next, open rekordbox on your computer and click the remote devices icon (looks like an iPhone with a wifi "fan")

Find the playlist (local) you want to export, right-click on it and select Export Playlist > Your Device Name

If you are trying to import a playlist from iTunes (desktop) to rekordbox (desktop):

Open the Sync Manager, tick the box for the playlist(s) you want to sync to rekordbox

Press the large -> arrow between the two.

Allow the playlist to sync.

Follow the steps in the instruction-set above.

If you are trying to import a playlist from the iOS Music app to rekordbox mobile:

Open rekordbox mobile.

Tap Import.

Tap Playlists and find the playlist you wish to import.

Pull the list down, at the top you will see "Add All Songs"

Tap the plus to the right of that line.

Tap Done and wait for the import / analysis to take place.

Pulse 0 votes

The engineers have provided a bit more information on the mobile export process...

The iPhone does not allow rekordbox to export playlists using a USB cable due to the limitation imposed by Apple. 

In order to ensure better performance, the mobile database is updated at the end of export when exporting playlists to a mobile device via WiFi. This is why if the export fails in the middle, it has to start from the beginning again. We recommend exporting in small number of tracks at a time when the WiFi connection is not stable.

Pulse 0 votes

Maybe the use of Airdrop can increase speed of exporting the files? Airdrop is using direct Wifi connection and is quite fast.

Kevin T 0 votes

the app needs a complete overhaul, Remotebox seems to blow it away and its made for cheaper controllers. The updates for the app are slow too, I with they spent more time on this app, other then January 2015, this app hasn't even seen an update in over a year and not even a decent update in way longer then that. The idea has so much potential but its poorly executed especially being they can have an iPad app with more real estate room to make a much better interface and more user friendly and better search feature of course :)

me personally, I would LOVE to use the app more but i can't fit my library on an iPad, lol

BriChi 0 votes