Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

1 follower Follow

[SOLVED] Importing existing playlists on USB

Hey all

I just installed a new harddrive in my mac. Before I took the old one out I put all my tracks on 2 different USB sticks. However, when I can't seem to be able to import these tracks into Rekordbox because 'the tracks are not in my collection'. The only way I can get the tracks in is by draggin the tracks to my desktop and dragging them back in to Rekordbox after. But then I lose all my hotcues...

Can somebody help me?

Cheers,

michiel

Post is closed for comments.

15 comments

Hi BriChi,

Thanks for your swift reply.

I understand what you are saying. But is there no way to import the tracks I have on my USB in my empty new Rekordbox?

michiel 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

how are the tracks on the usb? Did you export them from the old RB or you dragged them from a folder on your computer to the flash drives?

BriChi 0 votes

Yesterday I had my old harddrive installed. I exported all my music on two usb sticks _with _all hotcues saved. Now, when I put my USB sticks in the tracks are showing, but I can't get them in my collection. 

michiel 0 votes

yeah, its way more involved then that unfortunately, You cannot export and import your library like that. You must keep the exact same folder structure ad copy the folders like in the link I posted above

for example, All my music is broken up and organized in my main MUSIC folder on my mac and then dragged into RB, If I change drives I need to copy that MUSIC folder to an external along with the Pioneer folder which contains all the hot cues, waves, etc...... there is no way of doing this by just using the info exported from RB itself. Sounds dumb but it's true.

BriChi 0 votes

Are you for real? That is really crazy. How can a company like Pioneer built software like this? It's so limiting.

Thanks anyways, cheers Brichi.

michiel 0 votes

honestly you're better off throwing the old drive back in and follow the link above step by step

I am assuming all your music was on the internal old drive? if so you can leave RB out of the steps and closed

1. copy all your music in the exact same structure from you mac to you external

2. copy the /user/username/library/PIONEER folder and all the contents in it to the external

on the new mac make sure the username is EXACTLY the same

install RB

put the music and PIONEER folder back on the new drive overwriting the PIONEER folder that was created on the new install with the old one from the old HD

BriChi 0 votes

I agree, its kinda sad the way this is, Serato makes it so easy, they write all the info to the file so it's easy to switch computers if needed, the info just follows the track. With RB you need to be VERY VERY careful or it's all gone

BriChi 0 votes

Thanks for your advice. But I think I will just drop the tracks in to a new folder and then recreate all the hotcues. There's alot but I will manage.

michiel 0 votes

ok, no problem, good luck man, I know it sucks. Hopefully Pioneer will improve on this for easier export/import for easy library management between macs/pc's

BriChi 0 votes

Cheers...

So, now I'm starting off with a clean sheet anyways... How would you suggest I go from here? Create a folder 'DJ MUSIC' and drag that folder back into Rekordbox?

michiel 0 votes

that may be the best way. On the flash drives right now RB has exported all your music into folders, you can create a main folder called DJ MUSIC like you said and then drag all the contents from both drives into that folder so it's local to your mac. when thats all done then drag the one folder into RB collection and let everything re-analyze and start creating your playlists and cues

I also recommend not creating that folder on your desktop, I have had the best shot for years leading my "MUSIC" folder on the root of the hard drive so i never have to worry about the path being broken by folder or different names. The folder is just always /MUSIC instead of it having to be /users/brichi/music/MUSIC for example

BriChi 0 votes

Or you could have exported from rekordbox prior to the drive swap...

Glad to hear you're up and running.

Pulse 0 votes