Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

1 follower Follow

USB automatic synchronisation (including cue points)?

Can someone explain how this works to me - there's nothing in the manual, and from searching the forum, I haven't found a definitive answer.

If I select autosync on the device

1.  For changes made in Rekordbox (either in actual software, OR on the CDJ itself, which is LAN cable LINKED to RB), when I insert a device, does it intelligently scan whatever playlists you've selected for autosync, and just copy over changed files (cue points (see point 2 below), loops, comments, basically everything)?  Or does it copy over everything again?  Technically, I would hope it just does changed files, otherwise it's a bit meaningless.

2.  What does the "including cue points" setting do?  If I make new cue points at home (whether directly in Rekordbox, or on a LINKED CDJ), I want them synced to the device, therefore I should tick this box, and then not worry about update collection?  What's the issue here?

3.  How does it work when playing off the USB when out, and then come back home and insert the device into your computer?  If "Including Cue Points" is ticked, what happens to any on the fly CPs I've created out (although to be fair, I don't tend to do that that often).

Thanks for any help.  Sounds like a good feature, just not clear on exactly how it works.

Cheers

K

SLY MASI

Please sign in to leave a comment.

7 comments

1. it syncs the entire playlist the changed file is in instead of just the changed file itself, hopefully they fix this soon, it gets annoying If I make a single cue point change on a track I may have in 2-3 playlists and it then has to sync 1000 tracks in 3 playlists for 1 tracks change

2. this means ONLY cue points created on the computer will be synced to the external device. If you are playing on the CDJ and create a cue it CANNOT be synced back to RB on the computer

3. see answer to #2

Yes, the feature is awesome, but still needs a lot of work in my opinion. 2 examples are on mac, you cannot see the progress count like 2/2000 syncing when its synchronizing and also I hate that cue points can only be saved one way being I set some in RB when I prep and I also set some live as I drop some new tracks. 

BriChi 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks, man - that's really helpful.. Massively appreciate it, and totally agree with your comments on how it should work!

Just for the avoidance of doubt, if I *don't* check "including cue points", to and that would presumably capture all loops/cuepoints that may have just been temporary in nature, but which would overwrite the usual stored data in Rekordbox .  

And if I create cue points in Rekordbox software, or via LINKED CDJ, they will auto sync to the device (if autosync is selected)?

Cheers

K

SLY MASI 0 votes

[EDIT - lost a key sentence when I submitted a response!]

Thanks, man - that's really helpful.. Massively appreciate it, and totally agree with your comments on how it should work!

Just for the avoidance of doubt, if I *don't* check "including cue points", to sync any cue points made on the CDJ from a USB device back to RekordBox, I need to "Update Collection" and that would presumably capture all loops/cuepoints that may have just been temporary in nature, but which would overwrite the usual stored data in Rekordbox .  

And if I create cue points in Rekordbox software, or via LINKED CDJ, they will auto sync to the device (if autosync is selected)?

Cheers

K

SLY MASI 0 votes

correct,

(if autosync is selected)?

yes with cue points syncing selected

BriChi 0 votes

My reference to "autosync" was the setting on the Device panel to sync changes to/from RekordBox.  Then there's the separate setting about "including cue points"

Sorry confused now, and apologies if being thick - it's late where I am.. So are you saying to get cue points made on computer/CDJ via LINK to sync to a device, you need to check "including cue points".  BUT this then stops cue points made on the CDJ, when playing off the device, syncing back to Rekordbox software?

Conversely, if you uncheck the "including cue points", you can sync changes made on CDJ back to Rekordbox via "update collection", but then can't go the other way - changes made in Rekordbox don't sync to device?

SLY MASI 0 votes

So are you saying to get cue points made on computer/CDJ via LINKto sync to a device, you need to check "including cue points".  BUT this then stops cue points made on the CDJ, when playing off the device, syncing back to Rekordbox software?

correct, if you want them to be put on an external drive. I believe though if you manually export the tracks the cue points come over with the tracks.  You and I would both have to test that method out, I am not 100% sure and do not want to give you wrong info

BriChi 0 votes

So it sounds like the *only* definitive way to "sync" changes both ways is to completely export your playlist each time to the device - agree that would get everything, and then right click "update collection" when you get back to your computer, so in effect not using the synchronisation function at all!! Well done, Pioneer - yes it needs some work. Although to be fair I do 99% of setting up on CDJ linked to Rekordbox, or directly in RekordBox itself, so could check "include CPs" and losing functionality to update collection the other way wouldn't be the end of the world - you do get the history stored separately anyway.

SLY MASI 0 votes