Have a feature request or suggestion? Post your idea here!

2 followers Follow

[OPEN] Track Scroll & SD Card Transfer Speed

Pulse,

While I understand you must get flooded with comments each & every day at every minute I'm still scratching my head at a few things which to me personally are not as simple & straight forward as to what "consensus" that has been concluded. I didn't really have a chance to respond to your response about track scrolling or slow SD transfer from rekordbox because the threads were closed upon your response.

As far as the scrolling I understand that it couldn't be seen if it scrolls too fast but I figured maybe the amount of time to scroll could be sped up & then when it stops the user can see it without any issues. It's just the amount of time it takes for the scrolling to stop. Or as I said maybe even font changes so that more of the track title can be seen etc. (I understand these are "feature requests" in any case but to use this as a primary DVS based on just the hardware CDJ alone, the more features or intuitiveness is welcomed)

B) In regards to the SD card export/transfer speed issue. While I understand all of this "information" & data is being transferred it really doesn't explain why I don't see the same bottleneck/speed issues upon transferring to USB sticks. Just simply trying to understand the difference in consistency upon trying several different variations of USB sticks compared to the SD cards. & its only anything relating to the SD cards to seem to have this speed issue. 

I appreciate your response

Dominic Carter

Please sign in to leave a comment.

9 comments

Re: the scrolling tracks - ever played a high refresh game on an old LCD monitor that lagged? It was pretty annoying, right? Well, same thing with the display on the CDJ. The engineers have worked dozens of iterations of the GUI and how it performs (including one of my original preferences, to have the encoder knob rotate through things in the opposite direction), and some sacrifices have to be made in order to accommodate others. This one happens to be for visual ease rather than trying to frustrate you with how long it takes.

With regards to the speed differences, there's plenty of factors at play in there...

• is the USB stick / port rated 2.0 or 3.0?

• what is the type / spec of the memory controller of the USB drive? (typically VERY hard to find out)

• is the SD card in a reader connected via USB?

• what is the controller chipset of the reader?

• what is the class (speed) rating of the SD card?

• what is the format of the device?

• how was it formatted previously? (just a FAT wipe or did the device get zeroed?)

• do you have any caching enabled on your OS?

Also...

• have you already filled the card / stick with rekordbox data? (is it having to read and update existing files or simply write new ones)
Pulse 0 votes
Comment actions Permalink
  • USB stick & ports both rated 3.0

• SD Card tested in both internal reader of macbook pro, and external USB 3.0 plugin reader ( http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Information-Card-Reader-TS-RDF5K/dp/B009D79VH4 )

• Class rating of the SD card quoted "SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC and SDXC UHS-I cards deliver the highest video performance with Class 10 rating plus UHS Speed Class 1 (U1)"

• format of the device is FAT32

• device was formatted just wiped

• caching enabled on my OS I do not know of. Running mavericks.

• The card has not been filled because the time to fill the card took so long that I gave up after 3 hours of waiting. But in reference to compare to the USB sticks...I am aware that the first sync is going to take the longest due to having to write "new" files instead of updating new ones etc.

I will be testing SD card vs USB throughout the weekend & try to update my results. But I've formatted the card & zero'd out as well to make sure if in the worst case of corruption which could be causing the slow down but it would be rare that both exact same SD cards would be corrupt and have the exact same bottleneck. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's something software/hardware related to SD cards in general but then again I cannot limit it that conclusion if I haven't tested another brand/model of SD card.

Dominic Carter 0 votes

This has been an underlying problem for ages. I also have the same problems on my mid 2010 MacBook.

When exporting to a 32gb card class 6, it takes hours upon hours.

Also when it's finally transferred the data. It takes an age to scroll down the track list of the sd card in rekordbox

cdjbasile 0 votes

@CDJBasile - Do you have the same issue with USB sticks?

Dominic Carter 0 votes

I havent tested in a while using usb tbh. But the last time i used the patriot 16gb usb stick i'm sure they were fine. If i get a minute i'll check again.

I just use 32gb class 6 sd cards and the transfer speed is grim, aswell as the waiting time to scroll down the track collection screen of the sd card in rekordbox itself

cdjbasile 0 votes

I've personally tested loads of different gb variants of SD cards and USB sticks and even a semi decent USB 2 stick has transferred data faster than Sandisk Extreme Class 10 SD card. They are handy if you don't ever need to work on the stored data and can just leave them in the player.

Now what would be handy, if Rekordbox was capable of doing more than just one task! God forbid should I work on a couple of tracks within different playlists on a 8gb+ usb drive, might be ready by the time I have returned from a night out!

If nothing else this year can we please get multi-tasking support? Otherwise I might have to take up knitting....

n1ck76 0 votes

ni1ck76 - so what I've gathered is that maybe the bottleneck/extremely slow transfer speeds might be limited to a brand of SD card or possibly the variant (class 10) ? The USB key/sticks that I have made by the same company (San Disk Extreme) are insanely faster. I really wanted the convenience & portability of the SD cards (as well as the trap door discrete capability). But if the speed is going to be this bad I can probably get my 300.00+ refunded :/

Dominic Carter 0 votes

My cards are by verbatim and are class 6. I'd be interested to see if any sd cards transferred quickly and could be scrolled through quickly in rekordbox.

In one of the rekordbox upgrades, 1.4 or there abouts, I saw a big difference in the sd cards and rekordbox. That's when they started crawling...

cdjbasile 0 votes